The door opens in a dark room spilling light into it; a man stands in the doorway and empties a submachine gun into the room.
Cut to Inspector Zenigata playing shogi over the phone trying to keep his opponent on the line while a trace is made. Zenigata calls checkmate; his opponent does likewise telling Zenigata that the pieces are fake. Zenigata examines the backs of the pieces to find "Lupin III" written on them. This infuriates Zenigata, but the trace went through! The call is coming from a phone booth outside. Zenigata rushes out to find the booth empty except for a shogi piece with the name "Zenigata" written on it. He throws the playing piece, and it explodes!
Lupin, Jigen, and Fujiko end up being trapped by Zenigata in an old mansion. Zenigata attempts to storm the mansion but fails; he falls back outside dragging his injured policemen with him. It is a stalemate; Lupin cannot get out, and Zenigata cannot get into the mansion. Suddenly, the famous private investigator Akechi Kogoro suggests that Zenigata throw a grappling hook through a second floor window. He then suggests that Zenigata tie the other end to a car bumper.
Akechi starts the car up and begins to drive off; Zenigata chases after him trying to find out what to do next. Akechi reaches to his face and pulls off a mask. It was really Lupin in disguise! Lupin disguised himself as an injured policman to get out of the mansion. As he drives off, Zenigata sees that the grappling hook has been attached to a make-shift kite that carries Jigen and Fujiko away.
- Arsène Lupin III (Standard Version): Nozawa Yasutomo
- Arsène Lupin III (Cinemascope version): Hirokawa Taichiro
- Jigen Daisuke: Kobayashi Kiyoshi
- Mine Fujiko: Masuyama Eiko
- Ishikawa Goemon (Standard version): Kobayashi Osamu
- Ishikawa Goemon (Cinemascope version): Naya Goro
- Inspector Zenigata (Standard version): Otsuka Norio
- Inspector Zenigata (Cinemascope version): Chikaishi Shinsuke
- Akechi Kogoro (Standard version): Takagi Kin
- Akechi Kogoro (Cinemascope version): Kimura Koichi
- Narrator: Tanaka Nobuo