Author Topic: Lupin the Merch!  (Read 265771 times)

FilmmakerJ

Re: Lupin the Merch!
« Reply #270 on: August 07, 2013, 11:31:02 am »
Lupin milks it for all it's worth.  ::)

I knew Lupin was popular, but I didn't think he was the type of popular where they would dress him up in different occupational outfits and slap him on just about anything. Like how you have Flintstones vitamins, or Muppet Babies Baby-powder,

The heck is this, anyway? Old Mc'Lupin? It's just so dorky lookin'. But I'll admit, if I could find a carton, I'd still buy it. lol

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #271 on: August 08, 2013, 11:29:50 am »
I managed to snag a used, like new copy of the Goodbye Lady Liberty Dub from Amazon UK for $26 USD. Now I've gotta eventually spring for a multi-format or PAL VCR.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #272 on: August 14, 2013, 08:15:06 pm »
Finally found myself a reasonable copy of the Soundtrack to "The Legend of the Gold of Babylon." And I couldn't be happier.

Truth be told, trying to watch the movie itself is one heck of a boring chore, but amidst all of the drab and dull and confusing stuff is some unique quirkiness and charm and atmosphere. This is most prevalent in the unique soundtrack provided by Mr. Ohno: who decided to change things up quite a bit by going very synth this time around. The sound and instruments are also a lot more cute and tiny sounding with high pitched twinkles and blips; like a tiny harpsichord or something.

But anyhow, I am very pleased to now have the trifecta for this movie: the movie itself, the poster (now with it's younger brother), and the full soundtrack. I can't say I could have lucked out any better for as rare a movie as this.

[This is the picture taken for the Ebay page]

lupinIIImusic

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #273 on: August 15, 2013, 06:21:13 am »
I've been listening to the Babylon soundtrack a lot lately (digitally though, I don't own it); I really love it. The Lupin The Third theme is on that OST is one of my favorites and tracks like Funky Monster Party are great as well. I also love track #10, The Song Of Babylon, despite it butchering the English language.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #274 on: August 23, 2013, 03:22:33 am »
I don't usually post finds in this thread, but I thought if someone present was a Cagliostro nut, they might be interested in these two Animage issues. I particularly like the cover of the January 1980 one: "Start '80 With The Joy". Said January issue's Lupin banner says "Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro -- Yasuo Ohtsuka's World". This November '79 issue seems to have a "Screen Preview" of the film on pages 79-80 (good page choices!).
-R. Nelson

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #275 on: August 23, 2013, 11:52:38 am »
I don't usually post finds in this thread, but I thought if someone present was a Cagliostro nut, they might be interested in these two Animage issues. I particularly like the cover of the January 1980 one: "Start '80 With The Joy". Said January issue's Lupin banner says "Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro -- Yasuo Ohtsuka's World". This November '79 issue seems to have a "Screen Preview" of the film on pages 79-80 (good page choices!).

I suppose if there's anything interesting within the text, it might be meaningful to someone who can read Japanese. But it appears that the visual content is not much different than the Art Book they released for Cagliostro. In fact, I think most of those designs in the January issue are just shrunk versions of the same images in the art books.

But thanks for posting these.  :)

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #276 on: August 23, 2013, 07:11:38 pm »
any new or upcoming figures i should look out for ?

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #277 on: August 27, 2013, 01:14:40 pm »
Finally found myself a reasonable copy of the Soundtrack to "The Legend of the Gold of Babylon." And I couldn't be happier.

Truth be told, trying to watch the movie itself is one heck of a boring chore, but amidst all of the drab and dull and confusing stuff is some unique quirkiness and charm and atmosphere. This is most prevalent in the unique soundtrack provided by Mr. Ohno: who decided to change things up quite a bit by going very synth this time around. The sound and instruments are also a lot more cute and tiny sounding with high pitched twinkles and blips; like a tiny harpsichord or something.

But anyhow, I am very pleased to now have the trifecta for this movie: the movie itself, the poster (now with it's younger brother), and the full soundtrack. I can't say I could have lucked out any better for as rare a movie as this.

[This is the picture taken for the Ebay page]

Fortunate news for me. I had said that I bought this "Gold of Babylon" soundtrack on ebay, and I had previously bought another Lupin vinyl from this same seller. But for some reason, they forgot to send me the followup email asking me to send another 9 dollars for non-tracked shipping, and then I can choose to add another 6 dollars above that to get EMS shipping. But that never happened. And so this package was just being sent off with no tracking number. Which would have been okay, except I accidentally put the wrong apartment number on the shipping address. And so it was up in the air as to whether or not I would receive my soundtrack.

Thankfully, my grandmother was able to go to the local post-office and ask them to tell her regular mail man to check for either her's or my last name, and make sure that the address was changed and sent to the right one. And it just arrived not a minute ago, and as always, in very good condition. I'm always amazed at the lack of scratches or deterioration that I find with these Lupin soundtracks. They are some of the cleanest most unused records I have ever seen.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #278 on: September 16, 2013, 11:31:35 pm »
OMG! Official Cagliostro rings. >_<
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:31:57 pm by GATSU »

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #279 on: September 17, 2013, 10:48:25 am »
OMG! Official Cagliostro rings. >_<

Actually, those have been around since at least 2010.

Although, these could be a reissue and/or a slight redesign. But none-the-less, I saw these before I even joined the forum. And I really really want one  ;D, or both  ;D ;D ;D 8)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #280 on: October 30, 2013, 12:13:11 am »
Not technically merch, though I wish there was a smaller version of this for sale. There's apparently a life-size statue of the Lupin gang on a bike and sidecar that they're letting people take photos in front of-in Shinjuku. Also, an Akamoto is supposed to be a guest there, but one of the characters got changed in translation, so I don't know who. *shrug*

Edit: Lupin and Conan team up to mug fans. =p

Edit 2: Get a Lupin and Conan card with your pudding.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #281 on: October 30, 2013, 12:27:51 pm »
Not technically merch, though I wish there was a smaller version of this for sale. There's apparently a life-size statue of the Lupin gang on a bike and sidecar that they're letting people take photos in front of-in Shinjuku. Also, an Akamoto is supposed to be a guest there, but one of the characters got changed in translation, so I don't know who. *shrug*

Edit: Lupin and Conan team up to mug fans. =p

Edit 2: Get a Lupin and Conan card with your pudding.

This was the "Akimoto" they mentioned: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayaka_Akimoto
No idea why they picked her as a guest. She has no "Lupin" voice credits to her name. Maybe they just wanted her to gush about the franchise and her memories of it...
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #282 on: October 30, 2013, 06:23:49 pm »
Reed: Probably because they want the moetaku to show up.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #283 on: October 31, 2013, 11:37:41 am »
Reed: Probably because they want the moetaku to show up.

When I first read this, I thought it said "because they want the moetaku to blow up" and I did a double-take.
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #284 on: November 13, 2013, 02:48:17 pm »
Reed: That, too.  :P

Edit: Lupin/Conan coffee cup and camera

Edit 2: Lupin/Conan plushies, beach towels, and a figure.

Edit 3: Lupin/Conan towelettes.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 02:49:46 pm by GATSU »