Author Topic: Lupin's influence in Cowboy Bebop  (Read 9171 times)

banishedprince

Lupin's influence in Cowboy Bebop
« on: July 05, 2009, 07:24:32 pm »
(baniashedprince, being a sourpuss at the time, deleted her old posts and modified her opening posts like this one by deleting the content from them. If the thread seems broken, that's why. -admin)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 03:42:58 pm by Lupin the Third »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Re: Lupin's influence in Cowboy Bebop
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 12:44:18 am »
Funny that he didn't comment on the pink jacket show.  ;D

Geist_MD

• Boogie Woogie Loog Shugie!
  • [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 12:45:45 am »
Funny that he didn't comment on the pink jacket show.  ;D

Not sure I follow?
1-888-SPY-HARD

Sad cactus

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 07:44:26 pm »
In the first episode wasn't there a mafia guy that looked more or less like Spike? oO

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 10:45:41 pm »
Geist: I'm assuming that he hated that show, since he didn't mention it.

Geist_MD

• Boogie Woogie Loog Shugie!
  • [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 06:05:54 am »
Geist: I'm assuming that he hated that show, since he didn't mention it.

I don't mention ham, doesn't mean I hate it.
1-888-SPY-HARD

Mattel Jones

• [Member]
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 04:28:59 pm »
I have never seen a Pink Jacket episode, but my understanding is that the Green Jacket series takes the characters most seriously, the Red Jacket series a "bit" less so (to good comic effect if you are a fan) and the Pink Jacket series goes even further in turning the series into mostly comedy. That said I can't help but imagine there are some entertaining episodes  to be found in the "Pink", if you are fortunate enough to have access to them. While Cowboy Bebop has some really oddball elements (especially regarding the character of Ed the Hacker) it never comes off like a comedy (IMHO). Regarding the actor who inspired the character of BeBop's Spike, was it Yusaku Matsuda? http://www.office-saku.com/images/yusaku-matsuda.jpg
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:35:42 pm by Mattel Jones »

Sad cactus

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 09:09:22 pm »
Bump time! It's still on the first page and it's from July...oO

Mattel Jones: Once again, pink jacket has plenty of serious episodes--it's just that the funny ones are so over-the-top that people remember them most, and then label the series as funny as a whole.

Now actually having listened to a few episodes of Cowboy Bebop, I see the influence more, especially on Jet.

Jet has a bonsai plant which he's fond of, and he keeps on clipping it. Faye steals it at one point. This affinity for the bonzai plant is similar to Jigen's pink puppet--which never actually appears, but the fact that Jigen does have an affinity for such a whimsical thing--and doesn't object to Lupin obtaining a new one for him-- says something about Jigen's personality. Jigen also keeps the rose that the dancer gave him even though she asks if it's wilted. Not to mention in the Japanese version he says, to his old flame who's a nun,

"I couldn't be your ladybug."

Jigen and Jet are both badass and sentimental.

Though Jet is less demonstrative, he and Jigen both symbolically break with the past. Jet throws the watch into the water (?) Jigen takes the rose that the dancer gave to him and shoots it apart, and shoots the face out from his photograph twice (once in "Gettin' Jigen With It" and the second time in a later unlicensed red jacket episode). I guess that Jet throwing the watch in the water is more reflective of what happens in Lupin as a whole--Lupin also throws objects away--Walther, he lets the grass blow out of his hands, and so on. It might just be a parallel rather than an effect of Lupin's influence on Cowboy Bebop, but it's interesting.

Mattel Jones

• [Member]
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 01:19:22 am »
Sad Cactus: I think your points regards Jigen and Jet are spot on. On the larger matter of the comparative quality of the individual series, I'll take your word for it that there are "plenty" of serious episodes in the 3rd series but does that mean you believe that series to be better or even the equal of either of the first two? I really enjoy seeing Lupin and his crew in action, and I would look for the best in each series, but as a practical matter I think I would focus on collecting the first two before worrying about the third.

Sad cactus

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 01:39:26 am »
Mattel Jones: Hey, I'm glad that you noticed Jigen and Jet's sentimental side. ^^

I do believe the third series to be the equal of the first two. Granted, not everyone wants to buy 50 episodes of a series where Lupin alternates from having a double-chin to being round, stretched-out, rubbery, and flattened. I concede about the art style: it is erratic, and it's hard to ignore Lupin's double chin for the first 20 episodes or so. I will concede also numerically, the 3rd series has the least proportion of interesting episodes per disc. For every 2 good episodes there will be 3 eghhh? episodes. And not eghh as in the ultra-bizzarre bird episode, (I love that one *_*) but eggh as Lupin and some chick dancing to really annoying '80s pop, I'm not joking. But the 2 episodes/disc that are interesting, whether comedic or serious, don't find any parallels in the 2nd series.

(click to show/hide)

An exception would be
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

And others that I can't remember. Anyway, I'm not trying to push the third series on anyone. But I do recommend it as a Lupin series on par with the other two. If you're collecting, though, I agree, watch the first and second first, because in many ways (different from the usual "more comic relief" explanation) it departs from the 1st and 2nd. If you want reasons in more detail, I'll gladly fire away. : )

Sad cactus

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 05:11:46 pm »
I honestly don't know which episode it is where
(click to show/hide)
, but I'm pretty sure it was in the second half of the series.
(click to show/hide)
in Disc 8, the second or third episode in the disc. And yes, episode 6...^^ It's the only one I know by number. X__X <-- Lame
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 05:12:17 pm by Sad cactus »

Nick Loc

• [Member]
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 12:14:56 am »
seeing as they are my two favorite animes, i can name a ton of similarities i noticed. most of which seem to come from the first series.
- the music.
- similar character look and personalities.. faye/fujiko, jet/jigen, lupin/spike, vicious/goemon.
- the villain in session 6 is dressed exactly like series one lupin.
- jigen shooting the rose... jet throwing his watch in the water. after losing their women.
- first series lupin vs goemon has a very similar feel of spike vs vicious. (especially the way the fight is set up with lupin going in alone injured)

hmmm well actually i haven't watched bebop or the green jacket series in awhile... had a ton more, guess i gotta refresh my memory.
<br />

blackcoated

• [Member]
  • the world is mine
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 03:43:54 am »
i have cowboy bebop and i saw the 1st season of lupin,and though the gang and  crew of the bebop are somewhat similar with jet and jugen being  the most alike
i think lupin and spike are not alike,just the shoes and the cigar
yes he has a tuxedo but in personalities they are very differrent,faye fujiko,yep theyre similar too with the money grabbing spending fast kicking ass women
Ed is similar to goemon in................nothing really
well vicious an dgoemon,yeah they are good with swords and the haircut but after that nothing much,
a guy named Sugimura from the battle royale manga and goemon are more alike

Lupin is mostly more light hearted than bebop thats for sure
lupins a block buster and bebop is a october movie,not expected but cool as hell
oh yeah the music is a little influence too

http://www.myspace.com/weberwound
my 1st uploaded and made by me video on youtube maybe ill do areview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVIu3Jssf7A&feature=channel_page

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 07:09:58 am »
I've heard that Shinichiro Watanabe is a big fan of the Green Jacket series. So I don't doubt that Lupin has been a great influence on his works, along with space operas. His latest work (as of now) Space Dandy has the title character look very similar to Lupin, and has Honey, a fanservice character similar to Fujiko.

Interestingly, Kouichi Yamadara (Spike) and Megumi Hayashibara (Faye) would appear in Tokyo Crisis, and Yamadera would go on to play Zenigata.