Author Topic: Lupin Trivia  (Read 8541 times)

RedTail

Lupin Trivia
« on: March 22, 2007, 07:42:36 pm »
Rules:

1. If you know the correct answer or just want to take a guess at the question posed, go ahead and post it.
2. Within 24hrs, the first person who answers the question correctly will be noted by the question asker and be issued one point.
3. Within the next 24hrs, the person who answered the last question correctly is responsible for posting another question or will forfeit the point earned.
4. After 24hrs, if no one answered the question correctly, the person posting the question earns three points.  He must then give the correct answer and furnish some sort of proof to collect the points.  Anyone may ask a question then.

Guidelines:

Your're allowed to ask any question you want that relates to Lupin III.  If you want to ask an easy question, ask an easy question.  If you want to ask a hard one, by all means, challenge us!  Just make sure you're not vague and that you provide enough information so that others might have a reasonable chance of actually getting it right.  If the mods or I deem a question to not follow these guidelines, we reserve the right to throw it out.

Other Info:

1. Each month, I'll tally everyone's scores and update the "Hall of Fame."  The hall will appear at the top of this thread (in this post, basically).
2. The mods and I will try to sort out any kinks in the game, but we're not necessarily excluding ourselves from playing.
3. Reed has asked that when you go to verify who answered your question correctly (or if no one did), that you try to do it in the post the question was originally asked (use the "modify" button).
4. If you have any questions or want to leave feedback, I've got a separate thread for that right here.

Hall of Fame:

Coming soon...

Edit by Lupin the Third: My name is Reed Nelson, and I approve of this thread. Let's see some Lupin trivia-ing!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 01:25:43 am by Lupin the Third »

RedTail

Re: Lupin Trivia
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 07:46:49 pm »
Question 1:

In the pilot film, what is the name of the character who was seemingly introduced as part of the main cast but never appeared again?

Good Luck!

[Edit: Robotech Master +1]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 08:19:26 pm by RedTail »

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 08:17:04 pm »
Kogoro Akechi. He's actually not a Lupin III character, but a character of greater significance in Japanese culture. I'd ask someone to tell me why, but finding the answer is as easy as looking in Wikipedia, so there's no point.

Question 2: In Castle of Cagliostro, Lupin swims through the air to grab Clarice after she falls off the clock tower. In what non-Cagliostro feature-length Lupin anime does Lupin swim through the air to grab someone around the shoulders in exactly the same way, and who is it?

RedTail

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 08:34:20 pm »
For future reference, please refrain from posting the next question until verification has been given.  Even though you were correct, that doesn't mean that you will always be (or others will for that matter).  Thanks!

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 10:24:41 pm »
Answer 2: Da Capo of Love: Fujiko's Unlucky Days, and Fujiko.
-R. Nelson

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 11:14:02 am »
Pinpon! (I would also have accepted the Funimation retitle, "The Columbus Files.") Ask away!

(It's funny just how many Cagliostro references show up in other Lupin stuff, isn't it?)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 11:16:28 am by Robotech_Master »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 04:01:36 pm »
Question 3:

How long (in episodes) was the First TV Series originally planned to be?
-R. Nelson

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 10:03:02 pm »
I'm gonna guess 26?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 10:15:02 pm »
Correct! Your turn to pose a question.

Dr. Furball +1
-R. Nelson

DrFurball

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 11:17:17 pm »
What magazine did the original Lupin manga debut in?

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 11:45:41 pm »
That would be Manga Action Weekly.

DrFurball

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 05:41:09 am »
Correct!
[Robotech Master +1]

EDIT by Lupin the Third: Actually this is just a +1, we'll (RedTail and/or myself) add up his previous and future score increases later on.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 10:30:15 am by Lupin the Third »

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 01:01:10 pm »
Question 4: My last question dealt with a reference to Castle of Cagliostro in Da Capo of Love: Fujiko's Unlucky Days (aka The Columbus Files—why Funimation slapped such prosaic titles on its Lupin anime, I'll never know).

There was at least one more very plain reference to another Miyazaki anime in Da Capo. I'm not talking about plot points or thematic similarities, but a person (and no, the Lupin gang don't count), place, or thing lifted right out of another Miyazaki title.

Tell me what it is, and what anime it's from.

RedTail

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 01:23:18 pm »
24hrs has elapsed.  Post the answser with some reference to approximately where in the film this person/place/thing showed up in the special, and you'll be awarded three points for stumping us!

In the meantime, I'll go ahead and post the next question...

Question 5:

In the final episode of the first series, Lupin endeavors to steal a treasure of what kind of obsolete gold coins?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 01:27:24 pm by RedTail »

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 01:32:18 am »
I tried to give a couple of little hints in the phrasing of the question. Alas that nobody got it.

The very "plain" thing that was "lifted" from another anime was, in fact, the orange and yellow plane that Lupin et al fly around in Da Capo. (Seen in several places in the film, most notably the final set piece where they're all flying around the tornado.) It's the exact same plane as the one Lupin, Jigen, and Zenigata crash into Lonebach's flying bomb factory in the Miyazaki-directed TV episode Flight of the Albatross, right down to the color scheme.

You could also make a case that Nazaloff in that movie was also lifted from earlier Lupin, as he has the same uncanny ability at disguise as Lupin, he's wearing Lupin's series 1 green jacket; he could almost be seen as a caricature of very early Lupin.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 02:03:23 am by Robotech_Master »