Author Topic: Favorite Intrepertations?  (Read 2903 times)

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
Favorite Intrepertations?
« on: March 22, 2007, 10:33:08 pm »
What versions of the characters are your favorite?  Here's mine: (Note: 'Manga' refers to the first series)

Lupin: Manga/Mamo.  Smart, clever, yet goofy in a serious way, and his weakness for women makes him an interesting read.
Jigen: 2nd TV Series.  Jigen in the original manga was constantly changing, but I like the '77 Series' relaxed, smart-alek sharpshooter.
Fujiko: 1st TV Series.  She was really clever in the green jacket series, as well as dependable when she was on Lupin's side.  I also liked the glimpses into her past and her relationship with Lupin.
Goemon: Manga. In the original manga, Goemon wasn't as invincible as he seems to be in later incarnations.
Zenigata: Manga.  He's smart, tough, and is a worthy rival to Lupin instead of just an annoyance.

So, how about you?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
Re: Favorite Intrepertations?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 11:28:43 pm »
As n00b'ish as it may sound, I'll say it anyway. I prefer them all in the Red Jacket Series. Maybe that's because what I was introduced to first, but it's the way I feel.

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 03:28:48 am »
The four main members of the Lupin gang themselves, I think I most enjoy their interpretations from the green jacket series. Lupin III actually sends the trademark warning notices to his victims, just as his grandfather did, which I don't think he's done again since Cagliostro. It was also implied at least in the early episodes that he was the head of an actual crime syndicate (like his grandfather), not just a lone (well, near-lone) thief (the guy in the Witch episode wanted the help of Lupin's "syndicate" to distribute his explosives). Sometimes I wonder how a Lupin series or show where Lupin and pals were the head of a syndicate would play out.

And they're all more human, not like the two-dimensional caricatures of themselves they tended to become later on. (Especially Goemon, who was a good deal more emotional and less stone-faced in his first incarnation, though part of that may be due to the different voice actor.)

The exception is Zenigata, as I really prefer him later on when he's shown as being more competent (Lupin really has to work to get out of his traps!), and also a lot more willing to work with Lupin against a common foe rather than against him. (For instance, Castle of Cagliostro, Crisis in Tokyo, Alcatraz Connection, and Angel Tactics.) The most frustrating thing for me is when the writer of the movie/special can't figure out what to do with Zenigata, and ends up writing him as bumbling, incompetent comic relief with little overall effect on the story. (Most notably in The Hemingway Papers.) If you're going to waste him that way, you might as well not use him at all!

And yet…I also have to admit that I like the Cagliostro interpretations just as much as these, but in a different way. Their appearance in Cagliostro is right for the tone of the story, though it's very different from the original series.

Zoo Station

• [Member]
    • The Fedora Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 12:47:29 pm »
As n00b'ish as it may sound, I'll say it anyway. I prefer them all in the Red Jacket Series. Maybe that's because what I was introduced to first, but it's the way I feel.

That's pretty much how I am too. However, the films and tv specials also have some pretty neat interpretations and it's interesting to see Zenigata take a more serious role in those. The characters tend to share more of the same characteristics throughout the series but there are some subtle differences that I always find neat to compare.

I also find that I prefer the times when Lupin comes off as more good-natured (like Cagliostro, for instance). Even though he and his friends are criminals I always like seeing the softer and kinder sides of the characters, as well as the rough sides. Overall, one of the reason's I'm such a big fan of the series is due to its well-thought out characters and their development. Just when I think I know all about them something else happens or I see another side of them that I didn't know was there. It always keeps things interesting. ;D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 12:52:29 pm by Zoo Station »