Author Topic: Question About Lupin Soundtracks  (Read 3972 times)

Zoo Station

• [Member]
    • The Fedora Chronicles
Question About Lupin Soundtracks
« on: April 01, 2007, 04:55:04 pm »
I'm looking to expand my Lupin soundtrack collection and I'm considering getting some of these albums. However, I don't see a tracklisting anywhere and I'm wondering if anyone knows what they contain. I have the Original Soundtrack and the Sideburn Club Mix that Geneon put out several years ago, as well as some other random tracks that I was able to find on other sites. Does anyone have these albums or know anything about them? Thanks!

http://www.animecastle.com/c-19095-lupin-the-third-soundtracks.aspx

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Re: Question About Lupin Soundtracks
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 05:48:11 pm »
"Lupin The Third Remixes & Cover Best Soundtrack" is an installment of the "Punch the Monkey!" remix CD series. This is the series from which the songs on the "Sideburn Club Mix" CD was collected. The "Remix/Cover Best" CD is very similar to the "Sideburn..." album in that it's a collection of the better songs from the PTM! series. As a result, there's a lot of overlap between it and the American SCM disc, although there are some different songs on both.

I honestly don't know what "Punch! The Originals" is (listed here as "Original Soundtrack Compilation"), but I would assume it's a selection of the original themes--unremixed--from the first and second series.

"Life's a Flame" is a single CD from the "Missed by a Dollar" ("One Dollar Money Wars") soundtrack. It's the song over the closing credits, if I recall.

The "Walther-P38 OST" is (I think) a mix of the vocal pieces and some of the BGM from "In Memory of the Walther P38" aka just "Walther P38" or "Island of Assassins." Sadly, this is in Yuji Ohno's era of generic synthesizer work, so it's really only good for the vocal stuff, which is available on other compilations from other stores.
-R. Nelson

Zoo Station

• [Member]
    • The Fedora Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 06:42:09 pm »
"Lupin The Third Remixes & Cover Best Soundtrack" is an installment of the "Punch the Monkey!" remix CD series. This is the series from which the songs on the "Sideburn Club Mix" CD was collected. The "Remix/Cover Best" CD is very similar to the "Sideburn..." album in that it's a collection of the better songs from the PTM! series. As a result, there's a lot of overlap between it and the American SCM disc, although there are some different songs on both.

I honestly don't know what "Punch! The Originals" is (listed here as "Original Soundtrack Compilation"), but I would assume it's a selection of the original themes--unremixed--from the first and second series.

"Life's a Flame" is a single CD from the "Missed by a Dollar" ("One Dollar Money Wars") soundtrack. It's the song over the closing credits, if I recall.

The "Walther-P38 OST" is (I think) a mix of the vocal pieces and some of the BGM from "In Memory of the Walther P38" aka just "Walther P38" or "Island of Assassins." Sadly, this is in Yuji Ohno's era of generic synthesizer work, so it's really only good for the vocal stuff, which is available on other compilations from other stores.

Thanks for your help. I have the song "Life's A Flame", so I guess I can pass on that one. I'm not a big fan of remixes but if they're done properly I enjoy them, so I may check those out. The Original Soundtrack Compilation looks the most intersting, so I'll probably start there. It's just tough because so many of these are hard to find or have to be purchased as imports and there are so many to choose from. Thanks again! :)

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 07:12:50 pm »
One small thing you may want to make note of is that all those CDs are published by known Hong Kong bootlegging companies.  That's not to say they aren't of good quality, because I own some items published by Ever Anime myself-- But if you truly want to support Lupin and Yuji Ohno, you might look into importing the genuine articles.  Obviously the choice is up to you, and in some situations I have bought Ever Anime products as well.  But when it comes to Lupin, I'd rather go the legitimate route.  That's just me though.

By the way, if you go to CD Japan (cdjapan.co.jp) and head to the Lupin section, you should be able to find entries for most of those CDs that contain the tracklistings.

Out of all the discs on the link you posted, I only own the Geneon CD's and the Cagliostro music file.  Since you already said you have the Geneon ones, I can tell you what I know about Cagliostro.  It basically has every single bit of music from that movie, including all the little snippets of second TV series music that were thrown in.  There are some great full-length pieces too, including a few variations of "Treasure of the Flame" (aka "Fire Treasure"), and the well-known "Toward the Patrol Line Variation".

Hope that helps a little.

Zoo Station

• [Member]
    • The Fedora Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 08:28:26 pm »
One small thing you may want to make note of is that all those CDs are published by known Hong Kong bootlegging companies.  That's not to say they aren't of good quality, because I own some items published by Ever Anime myself-- But if you truly want to support Lupin and Yuji Ohno, you might look into importing the genuine articles.  Obviously the choice is up to you, and in some situations I have bought Ever Anime products as well.  But when it comes to Lupin, I'd rather go the legitimate route.  That's just me though.

I'm definately the same way and I'll probably look elsewhere first to see if I can find a more legitimate copy. I don't mind buying imports but bootlegs always make me a little nervous, especially if they're illegal or not meant for sale. I always prefer an official release instead of a copy or bootleg, whether it be in music, film, or any other medium. Thanks for the heads-up on that.