Author Topic: "Episode Zero: First Contact" DVD now available from Discotek/Eastern Star!  (Read 63838 times)

Meitantei Zenigata

• Part of the Gang
Re: Discotek licenses "Episode Zero: First Contact"!
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 06:54:42 pm »
I've always wondered why Animeigo dubbed Fuma but not Babylon, and I don't see why Discoteck wouldn't bother to dub Babylon or Episode 0. If they already have the license, they should make the most of it.

angelidollinda

• Part of the Gang
  • I believe in the power of the thief!
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 07:00:29 pm »
My very strong suspicion is that this is going to be sub-only. To judge from the "About Us" page for Discotek, this is a little labor-of-love company that apparently buys up licenses for properties that haven't been brought to North America yet. I can't imagine they have any budget for hiring a bunch of voice-actors and dub-script writers and engineer and director and studio time and etc.

Besides, listening to the Japanese voice-actors is fun!  ;D

This is true! :D

Although it would be a treat to have the Geneon cast provide the dub for this special (even though that'll sadly never happen...).
Les temps sont durs pour les r

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 07:51:06 pm »
Zenigata: I'm guessing they didn't dub Babylon, 'cus they probably thought it looked so old that only Lupin fans would go for it, anyway.

Now that I think about it, though, I'm surprised it didn't get licensed sooner. If it's a "prequel", it would have helped sell the series in general better to newbies. But then the same could be said for series 1, which probably would have been less of a risk, financially, since it's shorter than series 2.

I can't comment on Luis's opinion of Ep 0's greatness, since I've only seen it spliced into Youtube AMVs, but I doubt that if it bombs, it'll never come back. That's not to say I want it to fail, but for a "niche" series, this sucker's outlasted newer anime and manga than it, in terms of volumes and episode counts. The real problem has always been that the only Lupin which has gotten mass-exposure here is the second show, which is also one of the older-looking ones. If, say, Walther or $1 Dollar Money Wars aired on AS, as FUNi once intended, we wouldn't be worried about Lupin's chances of success here. Yeah, St. Seiya did make CN, and it's still a failure, anime-wise; but that's 'cus it looks like shit. Lupin, though, is like Shin-Chan, in that there're many different styles of it out there; and this hasn't been emphasized enough here. Hell, when Lasseter mentioned Cagliostro @ that Miyazaki thing, it was totally quiet there. It probably did better here than usual, by R1 Lupin standards, but it's not actually helped Lupin sell better with casual fans enough. So I'm hoping that the "0" will help establish the character better with newbies, and maybe expand interest in the series here. 

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 09:08:04 pm »
I've always wondered why Animeigo dubbed Fuma but not Babylon, and I don't see why Discoteck wouldn't bother to dub Babylon or Episode 0. If they already have the license, they should make the most of it.

Simple Cost vs. Benefit analysis.

Babylon looks crazy, as GATSU pointed out - I mean, just look at any video cover ever done for it. It barely looks like an anime, much less a good one. "Fuma" looks more like something Miyazaki would have made. Fuma is obviously more mainstream. Easier to market. Usually, you can make your money back easier if you're selling to a wider audience.

And dubbing costs money. Just to give you an idea, it's often been said that a TV episode of any given anime series costs, on average, $10,000 US to dub. Now, that figure will vary depending on if it's union (which is more expensive) or non-union (Part II TV's dub, for instance, was union. "Fuma's" was not).  Dubbing studio, quality, ad actors used are also factors. But that's just 22 minutes of English dialogue. For $10K. So, if you average that out to a 100-minute movie... that's roughly $50,000 just to dub a movie into English with any modicum of quality.

Now, if Babylon were only going to sell less than 1,000 copies-- odds are good they won't make that money back.

First Contact probably deserves an English dub, preferably one of quality. But if it's coming down to cost vs. benefit, I'd rather have both a professional subtitled translation and and extra or two and a disc in a case than a bad English dub and a Lupin-releasing company in the red.
-R. Nelson

Fujikogirl23

• The Curiously Curious
  • Part of the Gang
  • "My head is full of ideas, that's why I'm crazy!"
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 09:17:00 pm »
Wow! This IS good news!  :D

And I thought a company like Funi was going to get this, but they've abandoned the Lupin series a while back so that's not a surprise. But, that's cool! Me, I don't care if it's subbed or not; being that I have it on DVD in raw footage and I've watched it so much subbed and unsubbed that I almost know every scene by heart. Plus, I'm used to listening to this special w/ the original voice cast. As someone said earlier, yes, it is fun to hear the Japanese voices.^^

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 05:08:27 pm »
The bootleg copy that I have includes tv spots with Jigen/Kiyoshi Kobayashi narrating *melts*, plus some concept art, which is cool but the feature itself loads whenever it changes chapter, it's a bit annoying. I hope this news is serious, I may consider rebuying it and hopefully Legend Of The Gold Of Babylon as well, dammit, that's the only theatrical movie I'm missing!  >:(
And I couldn't care less about dubbing!

Mizducky, I love your avatar! I remember pausing that frame when I watched GvsR! Hahah, what a badass! ;P
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:08:02 am by gothichyppie »

Ichi........................................ ni........................................ TROIS!

mizducky

• [Member]
  • "Go on punk, make my day."
    • Personal website
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 06:40:45 pm »
The bootleg copy that I have includes tv spots with Jigen/Kiyoshi Kobayashi narrating *melts*, plus some concept art, which is cool but the feature itself loads whenever it changes chapter, it's a bit annoying. I hope this news is serious, I may consider rebuying it and hopefully Legend Of The Gold Of Babylon as well, dammit, that's the only theatrical movie I'm messing!  >:(
And I couldn't care less about dubbing!

Mizducky, I love your avatar! I remember pausing that frame when I watched GvsR! Hahah, what a badass! ;P
I had one of those bootleg copies ... *glyph of guilt here* ... but I watched the damn thing so many times I actually managed to wear out the cheapass CDRW they'd burned it onto.  :P Which is one of the many reasons why I look forward to this official release--non-crap media.  ;)

P.S. Glad you dig that avvie pic ... I always felt that Jigen could be a really freakin' scary guy if you found yourself nose-to-gun with the dude, and this is one of the few images I've seen that really captures his full scary potential.
Lupin fanfic work-in-progress: "Fun and Thieving in Las Vegas"
http://www.mizducky.com/churchofwhoopie/2008/08/fun-and-thievin.html

RedTail

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 12:48:05 am »
First Contact was okay but didn't really blow me away.  Nonetheless, it's Lupin, it's going to be on R1 DVD, so it's all good.  I'll take one please!

As for FotNS, I initially thought the pickup was rather risky for such a small company (152 episodes of vintage '80s anime, lol...), but considering how there's already an existing dub and subtitle script which could possibly be acquired for a reasonable price, this might actually turn out to be a pretty shrewd move.  Hopefully it all works out, 'cause I certainly want to see more Lupin, hell, more of ANYTHING out of Discotek.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:48:58 am by RedTail »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 03:36:29 am »
RedTail: I'm guessing that, with Fist: 1) Discotek is hoping the people watching it legally and free on Crunchyroll and FUNimation might like it enough to buy the dvds; 2) The re-release of the movie did well enough for the company to justify giving the original show a shot; and 3) Toei sold that sucker in bulk, due to its age, so it's actually cheaper than more modern shows at a fraction of that length. If the Lupin shows could get that kind of legal streaming online, there might be a chance for a real revival of that franchise. But I'm wondering if, say, DT hypothetically got Shin Lupin, would they also be able to pick up the entire Geneon dub for it, including the second half of the series? Or would that cost extra?

ultimateemail5000

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 09:00:44 pm »
I would help them dub this movie with spare time, for free. This is the greatest Lupin news in a while, and it's been dead for a long time. Glad to see Lupin finally making some new progress in the states and, I hope it goes well.

rpguidry

• [Member]
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 12:41:48 am »
This is good news.  At least its something new that's coming to America.  Sure in an ideal world we have the Geneon cast re-unite to dub this Tv special (Well for me anyway your ideal world deal may differ), but at least it shows that some companies believe Lupin can turn a profit in the current market. 

I'm assuming many of the people here will probably buy this when it comes out, maybe we should try to get grass roots campaign going to show support.  One idea is for everyone who buys this to send a copy of the receipt back to Discotek as show of support (Supposedly one letter\receipt sent in would represent x amount of people who bought the DVD, but didn't bother to send anything in).  We may be a smaller audience, but from what I can tell we seem to be dedicated.  Any thoughts or ideas about this?

Hopefully this will encourage some people to try Lupin and help stimulate the otherwise stagnant fanbase we have here in the U.S.

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
  • Fujiko is super hot, Lupin is uber cool
    • My profile on MyAnimeList.net (including Lupin reviews!)
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 07:13:52 am »
I'm not sure what's going on in here. ;D

I do agree with a thing you said in the earlier post though Gatsu, I don't think Lupin is responsible for Geneon going under.

I think in general in topics like this we jump to conclusions. We can assume a license cost is too high or is low, we can assume a company broke even on an investment or didn't. We don't really know for sure, etc.

Me, I assume that Lupin hasn't been a great seller, but I think the odds are it sells better than a lot of other anime out there on shelves.

And indeed, we might as well be optimistic about the future of Lupin in Region 1, since we got some good news here with this licensing. :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 07:14:56 am by Psycho_Kenshin »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 08:28:04 am »
PK: That's exactly what I've been saying all this time! People(even fans) seriously underestimate Lupin's business here, but seem to forget that it was only available domestically on 3-5 tapes just 15 years ago. Yeah, it could be bigger, but that's still a pretty good growth rate for a show which has to compete with anime and manga catering to a younger audience.

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
  • Fujiko is super hot, Lupin is uber cool
    • My profile on MyAnimeList.net (including Lupin reviews!)
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 10:44:33 am »
I will say, I don't think that anime needs to be on TV in America to be a success here. Only a relative handful of anime shows are on TV, and more than that small group have sold well here.

And some, like say Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, were successful even before they ended up on Adult Swim. A lot of times a show is put on Adult Swim because it's popular already, like Death Note.

Having it on TV is certainly the best thing though, and it'd be nice to have Lupin back on.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:45:38 am by Psycho_Kenshin »

RedTail

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2009, 01:16:21 am »