Author Topic: "Episode Zero: First Contact" DVD now available from Discotek/Eastern Star!  (Read 62571 times)

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Again, he never calls himself "Arsene Lupin THE THIRD." He has often said he's the grandson of "Arsene Lupin," and his name being "Lupin the Third" is also well-known. But that full name, "Arsene Lupin the Third," has never been stated in the original Japanese anime nor manga. The English adaptation of the manga does use it, however.

In fact, I only remember a few times where he says "Lupin I" (or "Rupan Issei"), and those are mostly in "Steal Napoleon's Dictionary!"
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:15:53 am by Lupin the Third »
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
I see. Forgot. Thx.

KoichiZenigata

• Part of the Gang
  • Stealing Japan for a Year
    • Lupin has a podcast
This may sound like a stupid question but does anyone know how well First Contact is selling?

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
This may sound like a stupid question but does anyone know how well First Contact is selling?
Hell if we'll ever know for sure. I doubt the numbers will be put out. I guess if Discotek releases another Lupin title then it sold well enough.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Nothing new. Just letting you know they're on Twitter now.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
Re: "Episode Zero: First Contact" DVD now available from Discotek/Eastern Star!
« Reply #200 on: September 01, 2010, 10:46:20 pm »
Thanks for the link. *Follows*

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Re: "Episode Zero: First Contact" DVD now available from Discotek/Eastern Star!
« Reply #201 on: October 17, 2010, 05:28:42 am »
I like the side-plot with Zenigata and George McFly. He resembles his namesake in Back to the Future in that he doesn't want to make waves--meek to a comical degree, and it takes Zenigata's flagrant disregard for by-the-book regulations to give him a spine. And, from the subs, McFly says that Zenigata inspired him to be a "rebel again"--implying that maybe McFly was once like Zenigata but got disillusioned, or cowed into obedience, or something else that silenced him.

Gotta admit, I like this analysis. I wouldn't have paid much attention to the "again" aspect if you hadn't pointed this out.

I didn't realize until watching the sub that Zenigata knew that the director wasn't Lupin when he had him arrested--that's some nice subtle vengeance by Zenigata against the director for putting him in jail/threatening to deport him/treating him like crap. : )

I still think that Episode 0 is canon despite it being Lupin telling the story--we see the Clam of Hermes and the Federal Reserve, what more proof do we need? And then,  during the ending credits, some minor characters from the special show up again--the very same taxi driver drops off Zenigata. That continuity suggests that Lupin wasn't lying.

As for the prior, I didn't pay it much mind...I honestly thought Zenigata was just mistaking him for Lupin, but the two of them quickly realized it wasn't actually him. In retrospect and upon repeat viewing, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Episode 0 is canon only depending on what you consider canon. It's impossible for both Part I and First Contact to be canon because the character's relationships in Part I were already clearly defined and cemented. Goemon wasn't introduced until several episodes in, when Jigen was already Lupin's friend. You'd have to do some serious fudging to make them fit together (i.e., ignore certain parts of one or the other). I stand by my assertion that First Contact was really meant to "replace" Part I for the younger generation of fans. If they want "First Contact" to be their origin story for the gang, then it's theirs for the taking. I, however, am okay with taking it for what it's worth--a fanciful story.

(click to show/hide)
-R. Nelson

Meitantei Zenigata

• Part of the Gang
If the whole thing really was a flashback told by Jigen, then it probably happened. However, since it seemed to just be Lupin in disguise, there's a good chance that his narration is somewhat unreliable. But one of the many good things about Lupin III is that you don't have to really pay too much attention to continuity. You can start watching with any episode or movie and just enjoy it.