Author Topic: "Episode Zero: First Contact" DVD now available from Discotek/Eastern Star!  (Read 63405 times)

angelidollinda

• Part of the Gang
  • I believe in the power of the thief!
Re: Discotek licenses "Episode Zero: First Contact"!
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2009, 02:09:56 am »
Hopefully if enough people purchase Episode 0, then it might spark some interest in Discotek to purchase other Lupin specials... or even the entire second Lupin series! Even if it'll be subs-only, it would be a treat to have the whole second series on R1 DVD (that isn't a really awful bootleg "unofficial" set).
Les temps sont durs pour les r

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
  • Fujiko is super hot, Lupin is uber cool
    • My profile on MyAnimeList.net (including Lupin reviews!)
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2009, 06:37:15 pm »
I just want to say, I think angelidollinda is right. This has become the Gatsu vs. Geist topic, so we should try to keep it on the Episode 0 topic.

The Episode 0 DVD is gonna be awesome. 8)

What title do you guys think they'll go with? I'll assume Lupin the 3rd rather than Lupin III or Lupin the Third, since they used 3rd on the Fuma DVD. And they'll probably call it Episode 0: First Contact, although it's possible they'd call it just Lupin the 3rd: Episode 0 or Lupin the 3rd: First Contact.

Lupin the 3rd: Episode 0: First Contact. Is it okay for a title to have two colons? ;D

Although on their blog they listed it as "Lupin the Third Episode 0 First Contact".
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 06:40:58 pm by Psycho_Kenshin »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2009, 06:52:48 pm »
PK: Personally, I'd emphasize the sub-title first, and the Lupin second, but that might not fly with TMS.

angelidollinda

• Part of the Gang
  • I believe in the power of the thief!
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2009, 12:52:08 am »
I just thought of this: Let's say the sale of Episode 0 are successful and Discotek is interested in purchasing another Lupin special or OAV. Which one would you guys like to see them release next?
Les temps sont durs pour les r

Southern_Belle

• [Member]
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2009, 01:02:17 am »
Either Stolen Lupin or Operation: Return the Treasure. Both have pretty fluid animation and are great fun.

Fujikogirl23

• The Curiously Curious
  • Part of the Gang
  • "My head is full of ideas, that's why I'm crazy!"
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2009, 01:04:03 am »
Definitely Return the Treasures!  ;D

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2009, 01:46:34 am »
I just thought of this: Let's say the sale of Episode 0 are successful and Discotek is interested in purchasing another Lupin special or OAV. Which one would you guys like to see them release next?

Good question. 8) I'd go for Alcatraz Connection from 2001, since that'd be the one missing between Funimation's releases and this 2002 Episode 0. Plus I really like that one too. After that ideally all of them in order from there, like Return the Treasures, but I'm especially a big fan of Angel's Tactics.

So... those would be my top three. I also really enjoyed Sweet Lost Night which I just watched, very fluid animation too.

Geist_MD

• Boogie Woogie Loog Shugie!
  • [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2009, 03:43:15 am »
In the interest of cool nicethings, I'm just gonna ignore whatcha said, Gatsby, and go on about da biz. Protip, though? Do not mock a mod's ability to mod.

First up!

Diggity Davis is Diggity Down for Green vs Red translated. While we're blue-skying? Dick Epcar as Jigen and everyone else from the Streamline dub filling the others. Awwws yeah.

Stolen Lupin has less groanworthy moments than Op: R the T's, but the latter's got some swooky action pieces, so I'm not sure. I was all about Op: R the T's until they introduced the beta girl. Nitpicking aside, yeah, I could dig on either of 'em being picked up.

Specials of recent memory to avoid? Noncommital awards go to The Elusive Fog, Angel's Tactics, and Sweet Lost Night all do some things right, but they're too inconsistent in quality to really bother.  Massive Hatred Award, however, gets awarded to Lupin v Conan. It's a boring mess of a show that I skimmed at best and fell asleep during at worst. It won't happen stateside, but we're daydreaming anyway.
1-888-SPY-HARD

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2009, 03:51:43 am »
Random question for you Geist, where does the term beta girl come from? I've seen you use it, I figure it means the same thing as Mary Sue or whatnot, but I've never seen the term beta girl used before elsewhere. I tried googling it even.

Urban Dictionary doesn't even have it. ;D

On the topic, I really love most of this decade of Lupin specials, the only one I'm not a fan of is Elusive Fog. Not counting Lupin vs. Conan, which I haven't watched yet, will check out the nice new sub soon though.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 03:53:36 am by Psycho_Kenshin »

Geist_MD

• Boogie Woogie Loog Shugie!
  • [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2009, 03:55:35 am »
Beta girl's a term Reed and I bandy around for the Clarisse of every movie or special. To be clear, Clarisse is Beta Girl Zero, and as such isn't actually one of them. To prove the point, Beta Girls never appeared in Lupin prior to her creation, or if so did only once or twice. She set the archetype for other female one-shot characters who would need to be wowed by Lupin's brand of freebooting adventure and come away a better, more complete person. Usually we use it pretty derisively, but some beta girls are better than others.
1-888-SPY-HARD

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2009, 04:01:27 am »
Good to know the true story behind it. :D

Miyazaki does like a good damsel. I guess one of the early beta girls could be that innocent blonde girl who Lupin saves in episode 11 of series 1, an early Miyazaki/Takahata episode.

Southern_Belle

• [Member]
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2009, 04:08:36 am »
Clarisse would actually be the first of Miyazaki's damsels and I think the template from which a good portion of them are formed in his work since.

I'm not so certain about the blond girl being an actual Beta Girl.  The Beta Girl is part of the Lupin formula and the green jacket episodes weren't formulaic, also she didn't leave her encounter with Lupin a better person. She just left alive.  If I were her I'd want some therapy after all that.

DDDINC

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2009, 04:38:28 am »
I must say I am super Psyched about this release and I guarantee you I will purchase it as I want to see more proper releases in the future. To add to a few of the points earlier in this thread involving earlier Lupin releases....

1. I found that the multiple dubbing companies and varying dub qualities to be a big turn off on purchasing a lot of the Lupin titles. I happen to have owned the streamlin dub of Cogliostro at one point and then the flood of dubs happened and frankly other than Pioneer's dub I find the rest mostly unlistenable at times.

2. AS even though it ran Lupin at 2AM definitley seemed to like it enough to give it multiple runs (even the 5am slot shows proof theat someone there liked it) they never ran past ep 27 and I think they lost a lot of viewers due to not running new eps.

3. Not sure how much of a success a sub only will be as most hardcore fans have the fansub and unless they include some cool extras I don't think that most people will be willing (or able) to shell out the $20-25 it will cost to purchase. (I as well would totally donate my time and talents to dub it for free as someone else offered just because I feel this deserves a dub plus I do have voice work EXP and am a professional musician so it's not a stretch.

and finally 4. As we all know DT used the old Fuma dub and it using the old dub for FONS. If memory serves me Pioneer dubbed a lot more eps than what was released. Don't you think it would be possible to do the same with the remaining Lupin eps that are in the can already. I'm positive they would sell well enough to justify the purchase especially if they release say 2 disc sets for each release.

So many other action/spy/heist/caper type shows use/borrow the same theory as Lupin that with the correct promotion and releases should be able to turn it into a viable franchise here especially considering how western oriented the series is. Here's to hoping that this is the start of a Lupin revival. THANK YOU DISKOTEK
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 05:01:04 am by DDDINC »
Is it wrong to steal Lupin merchandise or just hilariously ironic??

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2009, 04:40:15 am »
So would the girl with a terminal illness in the WMW manga also be considered a Beta girl?

Southern_Belle

• [Member]
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2009, 04:50:08 am »
So would the girl with a terminal illness in the WMW manga also be considered a Beta girl?

I haven't read the manga, so I honestly wouldn't know.  I think the only requirements are those that Geist stated earlier:
...female one-shot characters who would need to be wowed by Lupin's brand of freebooting adventure and come away a better, more complete person.