Author Topic: "Episode Zero: First Contact" DVD now available from Discotek/Eastern Star!  (Read 63410 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Re: Discotek licenses "Episode Zero: First Contact"!
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2009, 05:03:13 am »
DDINC: I could somewhat stand Geneon's dub, but FUNimation's notoriously awful with those things. And from what I gather, quite a few people on the ML were griping about its accuracy. Again, it was a totally wasted opportunity, because those specials could've appealed to people who think of Lupin as mostly an "old" anime and manga. [Speaking of which, if the interest resumes that far, I'd love to see that '97 version of the manga get a release here one of these days.] As for the show's broadcast on AS, I'm not exactly sure how it did, but it seemed to get a better reception than the 70s Gundam. So I guess that's something. Moving on to the actual content, I'm not sure a company like DT can legally get (unaffiliated) dub actors to work for free, due to current union rules about voice work. Maybe they can barter dvds in exchange or something? But as for finishing the rest of Shin Lupin, that's only gonna happen if Ep.0 makes enough money to justify it. So do your best to support the special, extras or no extras. You may be a bit strapped right now, but just be glad, cus the Japanese pay double, or even triple, the MSRP for this stuff on dvd.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 05:04:37 am by GATSU »

Jd-

• [Member]
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2009, 05:13:34 am »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

DDDINC

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2009, 06:37:00 am »
Gatsu: I am not union so that solves that issue but what I was getting at was since DT is buying Fist along with its old dub why can't they do the same thing with Lupin or at least buy up the unreleased episodes that are supposedly already dubbed. They could probably get them fairly cheap one would think as they are sitting in the can making nobody any money. Half a loaf is better than none and since there has been evidence that Lupin was dubbed through ep 120 why shouldn't DT take a flier on trying to get them on the cheap. Remember they are sitting in limbo doing nobody any good. Shoot it has me wondering how much it would cost and trying to organize a fan release....
Is it wrong to steal Lupin merchandise or just hilariously ironic??

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2009, 07:16:24 am »
DDINC: It's not the licensing fees as much as whether there's enough demand to justify putting out the rest of Shin Lupin. Though if there does end up being a demand, I seriously hope whoever license-rescues it learns from Geneon's mistake, and puts it in box-sets. As for the union thing, I meant that you might have to be in one for DT to accept you. Maybe not, though, since I will concede on one point with MDG in that I'm not entirely familiar with current entertainment labor laws.

DDDINC

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2009, 08:20:38 am »
entertainment unions requirements vary from state to state.... For instance, in Texas (ADV and Funi) I have neen told there are no union requirements whereas in Cali (old Pioneer etc.) there obviously is, which is also why occasionally you'll see a union VA guest on a non-union show, IE: Johnny Yong Bosch was a guest voice on FMA. I am only half serious about offering my services as I am a musician and not a VA but of course if it will help... And to further clarify my idea for continuing Shin Lupin is predicated on the success of EP:0. I figure that if it does well then maybe it would be worth it for DT to try to get the dubbed eps that are in the can.
PS Union requirements alludes to whether or not you need to belong to one to get any "decent" work. The 2 major booking agencies in NJ only hire union musicians
Is it wrong to steal Lupin merchandise or just hilariously ironic??

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2009, 12:20:40 pm »
Per all the frustrations of other posters, I've moved all the Daniel Zelter/GATSU arguments into their own thread:
http://www.lupinthethird.net/forums/index.php?topic=1150.0
As a result, you might see some chunks of conversation in the thread that don't make as much sense and are now out of context. Sorry!

Have fun with all the actual discussion of this epic release that may or may not be dubbed into English!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 12:23:20 pm by Lupin the Third »
-R. Nelson

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
  • Fujiko is super hot, Lupin is uber cool
    • My profile on MyAnimeList.net (including Lupin reviews!)
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2009, 01:05:04 pm »
Clarisse would actually be the first of Miyazaki's damsels and I think the template from which a good portion of them are formed in his work since.

I'm not so certain about the blond girl being an actual Beta Girl.  The Beta Girl is part of the Lupin formula and the green jacket episodes weren't formulaic, also she didn't leave her encounter with Lupin a better person. She just left alive.  If I were her I'd want some therapy after all that.

She's at least a damsel in distress. Nice girl. :D It just came to mind since the end of that episode is a lot like the end of Cagliostro. Lupin even blows her kisses and whatnot as he runs away, sort of like in Cagliostro. While the girl looks on, longingly, since once you go Lupin you don't go back.  ;D

(click to show/hide)

On the topic of Discotek and Lupin, I'd love it if they licensed the first series. They're releasing over 150 episodes of Fist of the North Star in boxsets, I could see a 23 episode Lupin boxset happening sometime. That'd be great.

Dots Salchow

• Actually Dots Salchow
  • Part of the Gang
  • That's Dots to you!
    • Tumblr blog
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2009, 01:41:13 pm »
I just thought of this: Let's say the sale of Episode 0 are successful and Discotek is interested in purchasing another Lupin special or OAV. Which one would you guys like to see them release next?

Definitely Alcatraz Connection. ;D It's one of my biggest favorites, plus the release would fill the gap between FUNimation's TV special releases and Discotek's Episode 0: First Contact, as Psycho_Kenshin mentioned before.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:41:53 pm by geckogirl191 »
Often caught but never held for long, Lupin III brought the gentleman-thief into this century with his hi-tech antics and old-world charm.
~Helen McCarthy, 500 Manga Heroes & Villains

RedTail

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2009, 04:16:33 pm »
Quote from: Lupin The Third
Have fun with all the actual discussion of this epic release that may or may not be dubbed into English!

Long shot, but I'd like to see Hayter or Bergen voice Lupin again.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 04:29:48 pm by Geist_MD »

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2009, 09:49:45 pm »
Quote from: Lupin The Third

Long shot, but I'd like to see Hayter or Bergen voice Lupin again.

I'd love for David Hayter to be back, that would be a lot of fun. Big fan of that guy. Call me Snake......  8)

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2009, 11:40:53 pm »
Sorry I'm coming into this so late, I just found out...My god I nearly had an orgasm when I heard this news. I am so ecstatic about this news. Frankly I don't care whether this gets a Dub or not. Because I wouldn't enjoy the Dub unless the FUNi or Geneon cast did it. Which probably won't happen so it's of no matter to me. I am just so flabbergasted that Lupin is actually getting another chance here. After Geneon went under. FUNi just seemed to be trying to get rid of their Lupin releases. And Fuma sales were in the shitter. I figured it was all over for any Official English Lupin releases. But now this...HELLZ YEAH!!!!!

And from what I gather, quite a few people on the ML were griping about its accuracy.
FUNi's Dub was pretty accurate for the most part. Even when they'd make script alternations, they'd still be pretty in character. So it didn't bother me so much.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 11:45:07 pm by Gozar »

angelidollinda

• Part of the Gang
  • I believe in the power of the thief!
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2009, 11:56:29 pm »
Wow, hey Gozar! It's been a while. :o
Les temps sont durs pour les r

KoichiZenigata

• Part of the Gang
  • Stealing Japan for a Year
    • Lupin has a podcast
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2009, 05:25:58 pm »
wazz up

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2009, 07:54:23 pm »
wazz up

Welcome aboard. ;D

Man, this DVD will be great... 8)

Zoo Station

• [Member]
    • The Fedora Chronicles
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2009, 11:41:47 pm »
Wow, I go out of town for a week and suddenly things pick up in Lupin land. Excellent news! ;D