Author Topic: Tokyopop considers using scanlators  (Read 5006 times)

RedTail

Tokyopop considers using scanlators
« on: December 03, 2009, 02:27:56 am »
Courtesy of ANN:

The North American manga publisher Tokyopop hosted a "webinar" in Tokyo on Wednesday with company founder and CEO Stu Levy and editor Lillian Diaz-Przybyl.

During the webinar, Levy said he was curious to see if fan translators would be interested in translating work for Tokyopop. Levy said he was interested in how fan translators, professional translators, and fans would feel about that idea. He said that Tokyopop is currently talking with the partners of a scanlation website regarding this idea, to see if teaming up is a possibility. Both Levy and Diaz-Przybyl said they were curious after seeing how the streaming website Crunchyroll went from streaming fansubbed anime to a legitimate website that can charge for membership.

But more interesting...

Update: Tokyopop is considering using scanlations only for titles that are on hiatus due to low sales.

I remember there was some interest in continuing where TP left off with WMW, but nothing really came of it.  I'm wondering if anyone would like to try and put together a few chapters of Vol. 10 as a sample for TP.  I worked as an editor for quite a while and would certainly be more than willing to do it again for something like this.

angelidollinda

• Part of the Gang
  • I believe in the power of the thief!
Re: Tokyopop considers using scanlators
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 02:41:24 am »
I don't have the tenth volume of the WMW manga, but if anyone does and scans it I'm more than willing to help clean up the pages in Photoshop!
Les temps sont durs pour les r

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 09:56:40 pm »
On the AOD forums, they said they dropped WMW, but who knows?

RedTail

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 12:54:33 am »
On the AOD forums, they said they dropped WMW, but who knows?

As long as they hold the license, TP has the option to revive it.  And considering WMW appears on their site, they still probably have the rights to it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 12:58:17 am by RedTail »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 02:08:04 am »
Well, the company's kind of slow to announce when they lose the rights to certain titles. [*cough* CLAMP stuff, Samurai Deeper Kyo, etc. *cough*] But hey, it's nice to be optimistic on that one. Though if it did happen, we'd probably get the remainder of that manga crammed into a wideban or two. That'd actually be a good deal, but I like those individual covers.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 02:10:10 am by GATSU »

RedTail

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 03:23:27 am »
Companies generally don't announce when they lose the rights to anything.  The rights lapse and then they quietly remove content for the title in question from their websites.  The only time a rep will actually say anything is when they're asked about a particular title in an interview or during a Q&A session at a con.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 10:38:59 pm »
Wow, has Tokyopop's sales on Manga (aside from Fruits Basket) been low? This news is kind of...odd.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 05:03:39 am »
The AOD'ers are at least confirming B'TX, as done, but customers have to pay $13.99 for the last volume. So I'm tweeting Tokyopop right now and saying we're willing to do the same with WMW, even though I could be wrong, and many of you could be broke as fook from the suckonomy, and probably have enough problems scrounging up loose couch change for 1st Contact. Anyway, I let 'em know the anime's out next month, and that they could re-introduce the manga that way, and put it out in those 3-for-1 thingies.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 05:04:57 am by GATSU »

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 01:26:41 am »
I always have the money for Lupin =D

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 05:30:05 am »
If you have FB, you can pester Dark Horse and hope they'll consider it, as they're taking requests. Lemme put a direct link.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 09:53:31 pm by GATSU »

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 01:58:43 pm »
Good idea =)

Edit: Why the hell can't I figure out how to comment on the FaceBook Note? =/ Can anyone help?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 02:24:02 pm by Gozar »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 04:16:45 pm »
Yeah, same problem here. Go to the main Dark Horse FB page and click on "like".

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 12:50:22 am »
Thanks =)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 09:52:49 pm »
Oh, and Tokyopop's considering doing a print-on-demand thingy for their manga, so maybe we can "convince" them that we'd buy the rest of Lupin WMW, if they had it in stock. Contact 'em @Tokyopop on Twitter.

Update:

Just got this from Twitter:

There's a combination of factors that go into whether things are available on POD, but Lupin is a good suggestion. :-)

So do they still have it or not?  >:(
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:18:31 pm by GATSU »

KoichiZenigata

• Part of the Gang
  • Stealing Japan for a Year
    • Lupin has a podcast
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 05:42:05 pm »
wait... can we contact them on facebook if we don't have twitter?