Author Topic: March release for Japanese TV Special Blu-ray box set  (Read 3549 times)

sprak

• Cliff Hanger
    • Lupin III Encyclopedia
March release for Japanese TV Special Blu-ray box set
« on: January 20, 2010, 09:10:24 am »
CD Japan has a listing for an upcoming Blu-ray box set of 21 Lupin TV specials.  It is a pricey set at 84000yen or ~ US$ 911 and will be released March 17.

Three interesting things to note about the set:

1.  The Conan crossover is not included in this set.  Make of that what you will.

2.  This year's special is included in the set.  That's quite the turnaround -- air in February, released on home video in March.

3.  This appears to be the only way to get this year's special on Blu-ray.  CD Japan has the standard regular DVD and regular DVD + CD editions listed.  Nary a stand-alone Blu-ray version in sight.

While the price tag is steep, it is slightly cheaper than trying to pick all of the Japanese versions of the specials up individually.  Where I have nearly all of the specials already on DVD, I think I'll stick with picking up the DVD+CD version.

Thanks to Buster Darkwings' post in the mania.com anime forums for the heads up.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:11:34 am by sprak »

Sad cactus

Re: March release for Japanese TV Special Blu-ray box set
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 11:30:01 am »
Thanks for the info! *__* That box set is tempting...but I'll stick with the DVD/CD. I can't wait! Is the upcoming special available for pre-order?

sprak

• Cliff Hanger
    • Lupin III Encyclopedia
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 01:25:46 pm »
Thanks for the info! *__* That box set is tempting...but I'll stick with the DVD/CD. I can't wait! Is the upcoming special available for pre-order?

Yes, it is up at CD Japan already.  I haven't checked Amazon Japan or other places yet, but I imagine they will have it soon if they don't already.

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
    • Hardocre Gamer Magzine - free download
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 04:14:52 pm »
Nearly $1,000 for the Lupin TV specials on BR...yowza! I was thinking "well, if it's $200, then maybe...".

Hokori

• [Member]
  • Itchy fingers makes for great ideas.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 05:28:03 pm »
That's ridiculous! About 40 dollars per movie. I love Lupin as much as the next gal, but come on... @_@

desperate4loopin

• [Member]
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 07:42:05 pm »
blu-rays are nice but they still aren't going to be subbed. i mean, i guess it's cool if you just want to watch the pictures without knowing what's being said but it's not my cup of tea.

Lazymez

• [Member]
    • Flavors.me
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 08:18:12 pm »
DVDs and BDs being as expensive as ever in Japan.. cant help it. It might be ridiculous in US or EU standards, but it is really just normal cost rate in Japan. Japan is pricey country in case of software and similiar .__.

Having no subtitles on something you have seen many times already is no real problem (unless you have reaaally bad memory), but these boxsets are often something you cannot afford without steady job. Makes me sad. First Season Blue-ray boxset, I'm gonna get you someday~ D<

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 12:55:48 am »
I wonder if Effumation will try to get in on it, assuming they still have the rights to their own specials.

desperate4loopin

• [Member]
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 03:07:35 pm »
Having no subtitles on something you have seen many times already is no real problem (unless you have reaaally bad memory), but these boxsets are often something you cannot afford without steady job. Makes me sad.

hm, i suppose :) but for people like me who haven't seen most of the specials subbed or have only watched a few of them that were subbed once because they don't have the time to watch them many times it's still kind of a bummer and rarely worth it unless you can understand japanese.

desperate4loopin

• [Member]
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 03:14:20 pm »
I wonder if Effumation will try to get in on it, assuming they still have the rights to their own specials.

it doesn't seem like Lupin is very popular with the main anime audience over here nowadays..  :'( very sad. i always jump on the bandwagon way too late when it comes to tv series
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 03:16:18 pm by desperate4loopin »

RedTail

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 02:50:30 am »
Would be nice if someone could find a way to take advantage of a BD player's SD card slot or, in the case of the PS3, the hard drive to overlay subtitles directly over a Blu-ray disc's content without having to rip and burn.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 03:16:09 am »
I've read the suggestion that a fine BD-Live feature would be the ability to download (or even purchase?) new subtitle tracks for a Blu-ray post-release. It seems like a grand feature idea to me, especially for Japanese BDs. But probably more trouble than the overseas disc makers would care to bother with (and would probably result in lousy returns).

Once PCs become more powerful and as HDDs increase in size, I predict that something like that will become much more plausible in time (much like how was can do that with a DivX and SRT subtitles without a lot of effort right now).
-R. Nelson

RedTail

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 04:11:44 am »
A pity really.  It'd be a nice feature for shows/movies that would likely never be licensed over here.