Author Topic: Upcoming Richard Epcar Interview: GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN!!!  (Read 5574 times)

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
Upcoming Richard Epcar Interview: GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN!!!
« on: February 06, 2010, 08:30:55 pm »
Hey guys, I figured this warrents a topic of its own. The Lupin Has 3 Jackets Podcast, which myself and SlackerWriter do has gotten ahold of Mr. Richard Epcar (Geneon's voice of Jigen for those who don't know him by name) for an interview.

In addition to our own questions, we'd like to know what everyone else would like to ask him. We always chat on these Forums about what we wish we could know about the English Lupin industry. Well here's everyones chance to to get those questions answered.

You can submit questions through the Contact Info given on the Podcast page. Or just leave your questions here in this Topic (Which is probably easier).

We're planning on doing this interview some time in March. So feel free to keep popping in with new questions if more come to you as time goes by.

*Tony Oliver Lupin Voice*
...Tootles

Sad cactus

Re: Upcoming Richard Epcar Interview: GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 10:37:05 am »
Sounds very cool. ^^ I don't have any questions aside from the burning one--what is the state of the stateside Lupin industry?

rpguidry

• [Member]
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 05:59:23 pm »
I have a few questions too.  Richard Epcar besides being a voice actor also handle some the business side of things, correct?

I want to know the answer to the following:

1. Who currently owns the rights to the second series?

2. A while back (I believe 2005/2006) Adult Swim mentioned acquiring more Lupin III episodes (Past the initial 26 they held the rights to). 
- What became of that? 
- Was it a joke?

3. There were also rumors before that Geneon was interested in selling more episodes to Adult Swim, but Adult Swim was not interested.  However there were also rumors of Adult Swim asking for more Lupin III, but Geneon never contacted them about it.  Can you clear this up? 
-Was there a deal in place that required AS to not only buy the rights to more Lupin III, but also take on another show?

4. Do you know how many episodes of the 155 episodes were fully dubbed before Geneon was shut down? 
-What will become of these "lost" dubbed episodes?

5. (As Sad Cactus mentioned) What is the current state of the Lupin franchise in the United States?
- Do you feel Lupin III has "failed" in the United States?
- Do you believe Lupin was marketed in a wrong fashion?
- Do you believe Lupin can catch on with a more mainstream market?
- What can Lupin fans in the U.S. do to get more official Lupin media released?

6. Do you believe it would have been better to dub and market the first series instead of the second series?

These are more just for fun:

What is your favorite character from Lupin III?

What is your favorite jacket color from Lupin?

What nationality to believe Jigen to be?

What is your favorite special\episode\movie?

What do you think of Funimation's dub of the Lupin franchise?

Pronounce Lupin's first name.

If given the opportunity would you like to help dub more Lupin III in the future?

That's all for now.

Sad cactus

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 07:55:50 am »
Nuts, rpguidry, your specific set of questions--I especially like "pronounce Lupin's first name"--inspired me to ask two more fun ones: : D

- Have you seen any of the TV specials dubbed by Funimation?
-Aside from Treasure of the Sorceror King which you worked on, have you seen any Lupin from 2002 onwards?

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 08:41:45 am »
I'll just go for an easy one, I guess. Did he ever meet the cast for the Streamline, Manga, or FUNi dubs? And who's his favorite Jigen from those three? Did he have any trouble getting into character portraying a guy who's got a bit of a gun fetish, and who doesn't like women?

aalong64

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 12:34:42 pm »
Wow, this is really exciting. Huge kudos to you guys for getting an interview with Epcar!

I assume you'll be picking what you consider the most interesting and worthy questions, so as not to overwhelm him with a huge list, right? Anyway, here are my questions:

How did you get involved in the Geneon dub of Lupin III?

What was the process you had to go through with each episode to rewrite it and dub it, and how long did it take?

Are there any particular episodes/characters/scenes/jokes that stand out as your favourites?

What were the most fun and most tedious parts of the localization process for the show?

Fujikogirl23

• The Curiously Curious
  • Part of the Gang
  • "My head is full of ideas, that's why I'm crazy!"
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 01:11:00 pm »
Wow....You rock, Gozar! You actually will get to speak to THE Richard Epcar?! You're so lucky! By the way, it was DEFINITELY 2007 when Adult Swim mentioned getting more episodes! I remember it like it was yesterday because Lupin was coming back for that one month, Feb 2007 (along with more after the first 26 in spring), and in response to my letter about Lupin being on the network, Anime Insider (that WAS a monthly magazine until they got laid off) had an interview article on Richard Epcar about dubbing the series and how it was like. Yeah, I was pretty upset when AS didn't air the rest as you can tell; especially when they announced this on their bump one day about their future plans.

Well, since most of the questions I wanted to know are already up there, I guess I'll try to ask a few that's always in my mind when hearing the Geneon cast:

Being to voice of Jigen, what are the characteristics and/or quailities about this marksman that you like the most and has it been an enjoyable experience voicing such a character?

Also, what was it like working with the rest of the cast members of the 2nd series Lupin the 3rd such as Tony Oliver, Michelle Ruff, Lex Lang, and Dan Martin?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 01:13:54 pm by Fujikogirl23 »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 01:19:46 pm »
Sorry to pop in here and spoil anyone's fun, but this might be the Adult Swim bumper that everyone's remembering from mid-2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7OILKXdQeo

Clearly a joke.
-R. Nelson

Fujikogirl23

• The Curiously Curious
  • Part of the Gang
  • "My head is full of ideas, that's why I'm crazy!"
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 04:02:52 pm »
I remember that one too, which I couldn't stand, but there was another one. They were mentioning how they were going to release a new season of 12 oz who cares about this show-mouse along with more episodes of Lupin during March of 2007. In fact, that bump was actually in December of 2006. I remembered that because I was extremely excited for more episodes of Lupin that I have not yet seen at the time.

Of course, we all know that NEVER happened after March came.  >:(

Not only that, but it was almost like they wanted people to not watch it when it came on air that Febraury. There was a Sunday marathon of Family Guy and I stood up late watching it. Late that night, like 3am late, they showed a bump mentioning "The theif is back" or something along those lines coming "this week in February at 1am". I got excited about this and was hoping they show that bump again throughout the week like they usually do with the others. They've shown all the ones they showed that Sunday night all week; all except for the one mentioning Lupin. I don't know if they wanted to get low ratings as an excuse to replace it for Oblongs that time or what, but that's what made me upset. The moment everyone on the internet were finally realizing that Lupin was back on the air on Saturdays, they completely stopped after the 4th episode on Daylight Savings day.

What's so sad is that it took everyone about a month after the fact to find that out.

desperate4loopin

• [Member]
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 01:49:20 pm »
i have a few.

-Did you have anything to do with the casting for Lupin? If so, what is the process like for the voice actors and how do you come to a decision?

-How many episodes do you have to do in a day? Do you have to go through the episodes in their original format first to know what's going on or are you just given a general idea and go with it?

-Did you have to make last minute changes and tweaks to a script while in the recording studio? Did it occur often?

Jing

• [Member]
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 03:07:04 pm »
I have one that's sort of been mentioned already, but I'd like to throw it in anyway:

I remember reading about an interview in which Epcar himself mentioned that episodes that had not been released on DVD were dubbed before the show was canceled (I want to say he said the number was 129, but I read about it so long ago that I can't totally remember--that's quite high, anyway).

After that, an official statement was released saying that no additional episodes had been dubbed. Was there any truth to his statement that was later refuted?

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 06:08:57 pm »
Great!!! Got those questions in just in the nick of time. The interview will be done tomorrow. So I'm gonna lock this now.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 01:18:52 am »
Topic Unlocked.

Unfortunately Richard couldn't make it this week due to something coming up. We're trying to reschedule with him. So keep those questions coming if you got 'em.

J B

• Part of the Gang
    • http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3154/65555664.jpg
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 04:12:50 am »
Topic Unlocked.

Unfortunately Richard couldn't make it this week due to something coming up. We're trying to reschedule with him. So keep those questions coming if you got 'em.

Well, I thought I was too late, but no longer!  ;D

Anyway, if I have a question for Mr. Richard Epcar, it would be if he considers Jigen to be his favorite role, or if not Jigen, whatever else was his favorite voice acting role. Now that's something I've wanted to know for some time, he did great as Jigen by the way, really brought the character to life! When I think of the character, and the way he's supposed to sound, Richard Epcar comes to mind for sure.

Also, I know that he's a James Bond fan, due to an episode of an old house cleaning show (he made an appearance in one episode, I forgot the name). I'm wondering what his top five favorite James Bond films are, and what he thinks of the new actor portraying him, Daniel Craig.

Sorry if that's a bit of a handful there, but these are the questions that came to mind!

SlackerWriter

• Stoic and Esoteric
  • Part of the Gang
  • There was a fish... in the percolator
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 11:58:07 am »
Feel free for anyone here to submit any other questions. We'll aim for April for the interview so the deadline to submit your questions is the end of this month. Try to think of some questions that probably haven't been asked allready like the dubbing production of the red jacket, we have gotten a lot of questions of that nature. I like some of these questions about work outside of Lupin and voice acting so the more creative the better but still ask if you want anything you can think of about Lupin III, voice acting or acting in general.