Author Topic: Call for Help: Lupin TV airings in LA/San Diego Area!  (Read 27188 times)

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Re: Call for Help: Lupin TV airings in LA/San Diego Area!
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 11:37:18 pm »
Thanks Daniel. Let me know if you need any help with funding for shipping your cassette tape (I have Paypal). Did you only pick up one of them? By the way, you can record video in "EP" mode (sometimes labeled as "SLP") and fit, like, 9 or 10 episodes onto a VHS tape. The picture quality will suck, but we'd just transcribe the subtitles anyway and put them elsewhere. As long as we can read the subs, it's all good.
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 01:36:48 am »
I see. I'm still green, but I'll try. I got four tapes for $7 @ Target. Money ain't an issue, yet, but time is, so I can only send this week's "haul" when I get the chance. Maybe if they re-run the entire thing one of these days, I can send later ones, though...'Course, I wouldn't be surprised if these later ones aren't subbed at all, given the stuff they normally air on Asian-American entertainment channels based in L.A. But, yeah, anyway, I'm tryin' to keep up, too, so I don't have to pay the ransom for the R2 version of the show.

Update: I think I'm ok, but expect to sit through ads for various Japanese and Japanese-American products. They also don't seem to have the sneak preview at the end.

tiki_rob

• [Member]
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 01:18:16 am »
Currently recording ep 80 and rest assured they are subbed in english! They used the funimation lupin logo in the op theme and the subs are white times new roman style. The subs are better than the HK DVDS but not as good as geneon (very literal translation from japanese language so some sentences you kind of have to decipher). But beggers cant be choosers. I will try and keep it up and kill my social life for the next few months.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 01:36:24 am »
rob: If you're recording, then you're saving me the trouble. Especially if you can skip past the commercials. But I'll send in a tape for this week, at least, if you can't do it. I'm just glad that it is indeed the new shit without paying a fortune or going the "alternate" route. And yeah, the subs are less casual than the Geneon stuff, which might mean they got a bilingual staffer for the station to translate it. Especially since Tot-san is referred to as "Daddy-o".  ::)

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 02:04:58 am »
PFFFFFT!!! "Daddy-o"?...Wowy-o. I'm really interested to see how the Gold Bar logo works with the Red Jacket intro, I can't wait to see that. I know it was on the Play the Lupin DVD, but no one ever posted it.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2010, 03:45:46 am »
Plus, my remote for the tv hasn't worked in a decade, and the channel switch is a li'l close to the volume adjuster, so if you see a flicker, you'll know it's me adjusting the channel in-between to get back to 18.2.

RedTail

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010, 07:40:26 am »
People asking for instructions on how to use a VCR...  I feel old, lol.  Anyway, nice work, gentlemen!

If the lines are too stiff, they can always be reworked some.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 01:47:27 pm »
PFFFFFT!!! "Daddy-o"?...Wowy-o. I'm really interested to see how the Gold Bar logo works with the Red Jacket intro, I can't wait to see that. I know it was on the Play the Lupin DVD, but no one ever posted it.

When I first posted about it on the main page, they had a trailer that showed how they integrated it. I'll describe as best I can:
Remember how, in the Geneon version of the opening, they had their custom Lupin the 3rd logo kinda "whoosh" in, and then they did the "gunshot" effect, tearing up the red background? Same thing, except the gold logo is just static the whole time, as far as it showed (the trailer started right before the "gunshot"). On the frames where the red BG is torn from the bullet, the logo was just removed. Just like the Geneon version. I wouldn't be surprised if Pioneer/Geneon was given this version by TMS and they overlaid it with their own.
-R. Nelson

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2010, 01:51:59 pm »
The subs are better than the HK DVDS but not as good as geneon (very literal translation from japanese language so some sentences you kind of have to decipher).

Wouldn't take much to best the bootlegs, but this is still great. Any rough-but-accurate translation can be improved upon in "post-production."

And "Daddy-O," huh? Man, I totally wouldn't have thought of that as an alternative to "Pops" or "Old Man," and coming from a Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan, I feel quite sheepish.
-R. Nelson

tiki_rob

• [Member]
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2010, 02:00:24 pm »
I totally wouldn't have thought of that as an alternative to "Pops" or "Old Man," and coming from a Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan, I feel quite sheepish.

I dont know if anyone ever watched the hk dvds but they call him "brother" or sometimes brother zenigata. Even worse completely change main character name.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2010, 04:30:08 pm »
Is the Trailer still there Reed?

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2010, 05:02:59 pm »
RedTail: Well, there was never any show I felt the need to record until now. I kinda would like to write a book or a well-read article about that era, to be honest. Everyone seems to cover the Star Blazers/Robotech generation, but the Akira/Sailor Moon/GITS/Ninja Scroll generation tends to get glossed over.
But, yeah, you think you're old, try asking for video tapes at Best Buy and then trying to lug them to the counter while avoiding being "noticed".

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:43:17 pm by GATSU »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2010, 11:53:59 pm »
Is the Trailer still there Reed?

Sadly, it seems to change every month or whatever, so I think it's gone. It's a Flash video anyway, meaning I don't know anything about where it would have been located anyway.
-R. Nelson

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2010, 11:59:55 pm »
Aw, that sucks :(

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2010, 01:28:53 am »
Man, the subs were all over the place on this episode. But unlike the Toupee stuff from Illuminitoon, at least they're comprehensible. [For now.] And I guess episode 81 was either meant to promote Cagliostro or just happened to be chosen as a template for Cagliostro, possibly due to higher popularity than usual. The reason I'm saying it is that ep. 81 is very similar in style to CoC, except that Fujiko plays the Clarisse archetype. Is there supposed to be a vocal-less ED of Love Squall in the credits, btw?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 02:46:58 am by GATSU »