Author Topic: People who resemble the characters...  (Read 30870 times)

J B

• Part of the Gang
    • http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3154/65555664.jpg
People who resemble the characters...
« on: May 10, 2010, 02:30:25 am »
Post pictures, if you can, of people who you think somewhat resemble any of the Lupin III characters.

I'll start off: I know this is a western film, but in Once Upon a Time in the West, I can't help but think that Henry Fonda (who played the character "Frank," the evil villain) sort of reminded me of Zenigata, even though he's Italian-Dutch American, and not Japanese at all...

Hmm, must be the sideburns and the brimmed hat... and yes, I know Zenigata wears a brown fedora, and Fonda wears in the film a black, wide-brimmed porkpie or cowboy sort of hat.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 02:34:45 am by J B »

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
Re: People who resemble the characters...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 04:46:37 am »
I'll go with the obvious, James Coburn as Britt in The Magnificent Seven, the inspiration for Jigen :

Jigen is the most westerner of the characters so it makes sense that he'd come from a western, but oddly enough, the Britt character is the only one that doesn't use guns, but knives! It's a remake of a Japanese movie too, which is kind of ironic! If you haven't seen it, here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3-R1JqpKPM&feature=related

But everytime I watch Clint Eastwood in Sergio Leone's 'dollar' trilogy, I can't help seeing Jigen. I thought that was the actual inspiration at first! Still a western, I wasn't too far off!

I think of Jigen as an italian-american cowboy from New York! ;)

Ichi........................................ ni........................................ TROIS!

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 03:34:06 am »
When I first discovered Lupin III, I thought of Goemon as Seiji Miyaguchi as Kyûzô in Shichinin no samurai (Seven Samurai) :

Probably because they're both very traditional samurai, all about perfecting their skills and both very calm and modest. I don't know how the character in the Seven Samurai anime compares to Goemon though... The funny thing is that Kyûzô is actually the equivalent of Britt in The Magnificent Seven, so that would mean that Goemon and Jigen have similar origins. They're both loners, they're honorable and they're great at what they do. Remember when they face the bad guys at the end of First Contact, leaning on each other's back? That's a great symbol right there, the east meets the west.
Anyway, it's most likely that Monkey Punch had seen this film before 1967.
But if YOU haven't seen this film, it is IMPERATIVE to see it, nothing short of a masterpiece! It even has be referred to in the 2nd series (ep.65).

Btw I can see the physical similarity between Zenigata and Frank, but Zenigata is MUCH more of a sweetheart! Frank is just a cold-hearted bastard! They're both very cool though! ;)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 04:12:52 am by gothichyppie »

Ichi........................................ ni........................................ TROIS!

J B

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 04:15:25 am »
Gothichyppie, first of all, you have a great taste in classic films! The Magnificent Seven, the Seven Samurai, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and other "Dollars Trilogy" films... All of those are great. Also, I agree that you may be on to something about the inspirations behind the characters Jigen (I too think of him as an Italian-American that just changed his name to Daisuke Jigen, actually, but more of a gangster than a cowboy, although he is very "western") and Goemon.

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 05:25:44 am »
Thank you! But I actually didn't enjoy The Magnificient Seven all that much, I made the mistake of seeing The Seven Samurai and Leone's westerns before, which I've found WAY superior in comparison!
Jigen has been referred as Japanese maybe once or twice but I don't think he is. The references to his New York roots are much more frequent!
'Daisuke' is very Japanese but 'Jigen', even if it means 'dimension', doesn't strike me as an obvious Japanese name. He also enjoyed Humphrey Bogard and Marilyn Monroe too (BUT NOT ANYMORE!), so he's most likely, American. It's no official answer but that's how I see it! And yeah he's more of a film-noir gangster, from Chicago or something but there's definitely a bit of cowboy in him!

I'll continue...
Another obvious choice, Honor Blackman in Goldfinger as the Bond girl par excellence, Pussy Galore, one of the pre-1967 Bond girls that inspired Fujiko :

I've seen this film only once and I'm not a big 007 connoisseur but I know she's very tough and smart and actually resists Bond's charms for quite a while! Sounds a lot like Fujiko!
The look too, I mean compare this to her 2nd series design!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 12:55:41 am by gothichyppie »

m-o

• [Member]
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 12:43:29 pm »
1. barbarella (jane fonda). judge yourself
2. pelle almqvist (the hives band). pycal
3. clive owen (in my opinion) looks like zenigata in this pic.

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 01:51:02 pm »
Yeah Zenigata is Japanese but I still wouldn't mind Clive Owen playing him!  :-*  ;D

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 04:27:00 am »
I don't know if the ressemblance was intentional when this picture was taken but I first saw it I said 'If that's not Lupin then I wanna know who is!'  ;)

Of course Yasuo Yamada later became the inspiration for, you've guessed it, Yasuo in Green Vs Red!

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 11:34:55 pm »
I don't know if the ressemblance was intentional when this picture was taken but I first saw it I said 'If that's not Lupin then I wanna know who is!'  ;)
You really should've posted that drawing you did of Yasuo as Lupin based on that photo.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 12:01:41 am »
You really should've posted that drawing you did of Yasuo as Lupin based on that photo.
Ok, here :
http://www.lupinthethird.net/forums/index.php?topic=824.0
I love that guy, his laugh is even the same as Lupin's, it's adorable!
I feel like getting 'Go Panda Go' solely because he's in it!  ;)

J B

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 10:23:45 pm »
Hah, you've got to see this. Leonard Nimoy's hairstyle in this song's album cover resembles Lupin's a lot, even having sideburns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk57tQmRw70&feature=related

Jenko

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 09:48:30 am »

Of course Yasuo Yamada later became the inspiration for, you've guessed it, Yasuo in Green Vs Red!

Lol'd at the pic
BROKEN PASSWORD LINKS OH MY GOD WHAT THE F**K PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
  • Fujiko is super hot, Lupin is uber cool
    • My profile on MyAnimeList.net (including Lupin reviews!)
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 02:02:33 am »
Well now, this topic could be a good place to get perverted (in a classy way) posting women who could play Fujiko  ;D. Probably not for viewing at work. (read: NSFW) I apologize in advance folks.
(click to show/hide)

ADMIN UPDATE: Spoiler Tags still work, although I don't think there's a button for it when editing a post. Just type [ spoiler ] and [ /spoiler ] (without the spaces, of course). So, let's use those for stuff like this. Also, please use a more bold and visible NSFW warning, please? Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:01:08 am by Lupin the Third »

Sabutaatti

• [Member]
  • LUPIIINN!!!
    • MAL
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 07:53:46 am »
Well now, this topic could be a good place to get perverted (in a classy way) posting women who could play Fujiko  ;D. Probably not for viewing at work. I apologize in advance folks.
Not any short haired Fujiko's?  :'(