Author Topic: English Music in Lupin  (Read 2753 times)

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
English Music in Lupin
« on: June 04, 2007, 08:17:13 pm »
I was curious to know this...why is it that there's quite a decent amount of English Music in Lupin? I notice that some Anime's will also throw in some English. But Lupin appears to have alot...why ya got Super Hero which is entirley English. Sexy Adventure uses some english phrases, and Love Squall has some English in it too.

Why is this? Is this some cultural thing? Do the Japanese enjoy hearing music from other languages? What's the point in inserting music that that the country doesn't understand. I mean I could never imagine an American Made show having lyrical music from a different language. Unless the show was soley based around that specific culture.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 08:45:28 pm by Gozar »

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
Re: English Music in Lupin
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 09:37:26 pm »
My guess would be that it's because, as Monkey Punch himself has stated, Lupin is a very western-influenced series.  Thus, English lyrics kind of make sense for it.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 10:08:25 pm »
I wanna say it has to do with the lead being French/Western. The manga also has a fairly non-Japanese feel to it as well. Everyone wears Western clothing, hop about internationally....a Western vocal track is foreign and unique. I personally think it just sounds better to have even a melodramatic lounge singer like Tommy Snyder (whoever he is) singing the upbeat, jazzy "Super Hero" than another of the usual Japanese vocalists. The English language just sounds more dynamic in practice. Not to say that Japanese music has no strengths of its own, but I think for this sort of song, English is appropriate.

The First Series started it all with the opening theme song being "Lupin the Thiiiiird," as opposed to "Rupan Sansei," which was used for the ED. The Part II OP continued that tradition which was then broken for Part III. But even now, with albums as recent as Lupin the Third Jazz the 2nd, they're loaded with English vocals, be they fluent or otherwise. I think at this point, it might almost be a tradition.

Note: I had this typed up before Fujiko Lover's post but went AFK and forgot to send it. Hence the repetition of the western-influenced comment.
-R. Nelson

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 12:04:47 am »
Hmmm, it makes sense. I guess your right, Lupin isn't exactly a traditional piece of Anime. It's very unique. Gotta say, I wish the Pink Jacket series did throw in some "Lupin The Third" into the lyrics. As much as I love "Sexy Adventure" as the Pink Jacket's Opening Theme.