Author Topic: [Rumor] Live Action Lupin III (Japan)  (Read 29992 times)

Jo

• Part of the Gang
  • natto mmm.
    • I am a vegan. Except on half price wing night.
[Rumor] Live Action Lupin III (Japan)
« on: August 25, 2010, 02:17:48 am »
Okay I wasn't going to post about this because it was only going around on the tabloid sites, but this is turning into somewhat of a hot rumor and popping up quite bit because of the names involved. According to insiders "people" (entirely unspecified, of course) are pushing for a Lupin III Live Action because of the recent influx of Anime -> Live Action productions going on right now. Their choice of actor for Lupin (Shun Oguri) is utterly and entirely questionable and I do. not. approve. Their choice for Fujiko on the other hand is Erika Sawajiri ... and well I worship the very ground Erika-sama walks on, she's absolutely gorgeous so clearly she's perfect for the roll who could actually pull off Fujiko fairly well considering her looks and acting chops. She might be a stuck up witch but at least she can act.

(click to show/hide)

Couldn't really find any recent pics of Shun Oguri =/

Source
Source
Source
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:49:54 pm by Lupin the Third »

Lupin III Manga Database[Scanlations and such are here]

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
Re: [Rumor] Live Action Lupin III
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 02:42:15 am »
I would really love it if this happened. Even if some choices are questionable, you need to keep faith in the director. After all most Live Action Anime Movies that come from Japan these days are decent. That's the sole reason I would love it. Unlike if they made an American one, I'd have faith in a Japanese one.

girlxdynamite

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 01:00:17 pm »
Would this be a Hollywood production, or made in Japan? 'cause it makes a difference  ;)

I may be one of the few people who thinks that Lupin will never translate well into live action, no matter who they cast. Especially not with that guy as Lupin. I always pictured Lupin as one of those European playboys, you know the kind when you are in Paris and you walk down the street and they call out "heyy baby are you an angel?" and they're smoking a cigarette? This actor you have here cannot pull that off in my opinion

The appeal of Lupin for me has also been its retro accessories (cars, 70s/80s clothes, sideburns) and stylized, exaggerated art (long skinny limbs, big hands on men, volumized hair and curvy women) this stuff cannot translate to live action without looking tacky so they would try to modernize it which would kill its heart.

Just my 2 cents though  :) And even if they make the worst Lupin movie ever I would still go see it in theaters.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 01:11:57 am »
I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.
The big question for me is about what tone they'll go for.
Will they go for something campy and lighthearted or something more dark and realistic?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 01:11:00 am »
I may be one of the few people who thinks that Lupin will never translate well into live action, no matter who they cast.
Just my 2 cents though  :) And even if they make the worst Lupin movie ever I would still go see it in theaters.
I know what you mean, but curiosity would get the best of me too!
If they do translate it into live-action, at least it can't be as bad as 'Strange Psychokinetic Strategy', I did NOT enjoy that film! I may have a great Lupin collection, I still keep that one out of it! ::)

Ichi........................................ ni........................................ TROIS!

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 03:24:03 am »
Hopefully, if it happens, it'll have a better budget than that Filipino Lupin INO.

m-o

• [Member]
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 12:02:23 pm »
the girl is reallly pretty  ;D.
it would be ok if this happens at the end. i'd surely watch it even if it's a bad movie. just for curiosity.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 06:07:19 pm »
I may be one of the few people who thinks that Lupin will never translate well into live action, no matter who they cast.
I know what you mean, but curiosity would get the best of me too!
If they do translate it into live-action, at least it can't be as bad as 'Strange Psychokinetic Strategy', I did NOT enjoy that film! I may have a great Lupin collection, I still keep that one out of it! ::)
I must be one of the only Lupin fans alive who actually liked the 1974 Live Action Movie. To me Lupin was pretty in character. My only gripe was with Jigen's portrayal and background.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 01:14:23 am »
Gozar: I liked it in general, but the guy didn't look like Lupin, and Jigen reminded me of a thinner Boss Hogg.  :'(
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 01:14:59 am by GATSU »

J B

• Part of the Gang
    • http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3154/65555664.jpg
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 02:49:11 am »
I think the actress for Fujiko is OK, I mean I haven't seen any of her performances, but the proposed actor for Lupin doesn't look like he'd be suited for the role. I'm trying to imagine his hairstyle different, like closely cropped, and with sideburns, and he still doesn't seem right.

Actually, I'd prefer the cast of a new live action Lupin III film to be international, a bit like the old Italian "Spaghetti Westerns" of the 1960s and '70s, which principally consisted of American, Italian, and Spanish actors.

Lupin: A French actor, I'm not really convinced that Lupin is necessarily part Japanese, in origin
Jigen: Either an Italian-American, or Jewish-American actor would suit this role, I think
Goemon: Only a Japanese actor would suit this role believably
Fujiko: Erika Sawajiri, the actress mentioned, can probably work
Zenigata: I think a Japanese actor should be cast as Zenigata

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 12:46:35 am »
Gozar: I liked it in general, but the guy didn't look like Lupin, and Jigen reminded me of a thinner Boss Hogg.  :'(
I thought the actor for Lupin got along the general feel of his look. It's hard to imagine anyone that can fully fit that look.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 02:47:35 am »
Wait, wait. You're saying you didn't like Jigen's portrayal? Man, he was, like, the best actor in the whole movie! He didn't, for the most part, try "extremely hard all the time" like so many Japanese actors are prone to. He was just...himself. He got a little worked up in a scene or two but he just really brought a touch of class to that movie, I thought.

Lupin doesn't really look like Lupin though. However, he does kind of bring in the spirit of the character, and that's what really mattered. It's over 30 years old now, though, so who cares if it wasn't an exact match, anyway? Looking forward, we can hope for the best.

Also, I enjoyed the '74 film more than I thought I would. Luis sent me a raw copy some years back but I could never sit through it because it was untranslated. When Discotek finally sent me a text script, I was able to not only watch it but actually have a good time with it. It's really fun to pick apart how different it was without being "personally offended" that they tarnished my precious favorite franchise, as I'm sure the viewers of the early '70s TV series and readers of the old manga likely did.
-R. Nelson

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 04:07:32 am »
Wait, wait. You're saying you didn't like Jigen's portrayal? Man, he was, like, the best actor in the whole movie! He didn't, for the most part, try "extremely hard all the time" like so many Japanese actors are prone to. He was just...himself. He got a little worked up in a scene or two but he just really brought a touch of class to that movie, I thought.
It's not about the actor. It's just the way Jigen himself was written. His personality was nothing like Jigen and his background was completely skewed.

Now, given, this was made in 1974 when only the first Manga series and Green Jacket series were available for adaptation. So Jigen at that time wasn't in my full perception of the character anyway. But still, even based off of that stuff. Jigen just wasn't Jigen.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 04:40:55 am »
Okay, so the original "Jigen" from the manga wasn't a member of the so-called "Lupin Empire" as far as we know, that's true. But what makes you think that he's got this completely different personality? He's cool, he's relatively laid back, he's obviously proud of his skills and he kicks major tail at killing people. What exactly is missing from this Jigen...the rest of his beard? I'd like to know, really.
-R. Nelson

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 05:31:47 am »
'Strange Psychonetic Strategy' was more cartoony than the actual anime, I found it WAY too over the top! Lupin and Fujiko were ok though! Jigen was tolerable, Zenigata was annoying as hell and Goemon was, well, nowhere to be found!
I don't care about the actors, just do it like this :
Lupin - japanese/french (or at least half caucasian, have him throw in a few words in French and it'll be ok!)
Fujiko - japanese bombshell
Jigen - italian or whoever ressembles a handsome italian mobster!
Zenigata - japanese
Goemon - SUPER japanese!
Finding accurate Lupin and Jigen would be difficult of course, non-japanese actors speaking the languages don't come by!
But I rather have a terrible miscast ensemble in a Japanese adaptation than have Lupin III being botched up in an American movie!

Ichi........................................ ni........................................ TROIS!