Author Topic: [Rumor] Live Action Lupin III (Japan)  (Read 29952 times)

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Re: [Rumor] Live Action Lupin III
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 05:41:38 am »
A Japanese fan once told me that the major problem with "Strange Psychokinetic Strategy" is that it's done in a humor style that predates the actual movie by too many years. By the time it was on the market, it felt really dated. It used a lot of that sorta, "Benny Hill" sorta slapsticky general wackiness humor. Weird jumpcuts, sped-up footage...

To be fair, though....cartoony behavior in a live-action movie is a LOT HARDER for people to tolerate than it is in an animated movie. To the human mind, cartoons are SUPPOSED to be cartoony, and live-action is SUPPOSED to be realistic. Making a live-action film cartoony is going to be jarring for any viewer. Saying the movie was more cartoony than the anime...okay, the First Series, that's probably true. the first Series did take itself somewhat seriously. However, there are many crazy, over-the-top scenes in "Part II" that would have fit right in with the live-action, and Part III probably has several more to add to the pile. Heck, just watch "Golden Legend of Babylon," which easily matches, if not "out-wackies" (yes, I made that up) "Strange Psychokinetic Strategy."

Having put all that on the table, I should probably say that yes, it's a pretty darn wacky movie and I can see why a lot of people won't like it. It doesn't take itself seriously, and people who weaned themselves on Lupin material like "Episode 0" will likely not find it matching their taste buds.
-R. Nelson

Dots Salchow

• Actually Dots Salchow
  • Part of the Gang
  • That's Dots to you!
    • Tumblr blog
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 07:02:52 am »
But I rather have a terrible miscast ensemble in a Japanese adaptation than have Lupin III being botched up in an American movie!

Totally second that one! We've had some pretty crappy Hollywood-esque adaptations over the past years; Dragonball Evolution, Astroboy, Speed Racer,... And let's not forget the rumored upcoming adaptation of Cowboy Bebop. (Seriously? Keanu F-ing Reeves as Spike Spiegel? Bite me!)
I don't think i wanna see Lupin III going down that road too.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 07:05:04 am by geckogirl191 »
Often caught but never held for long, Lupin III brought the gentleman-thief into this century with his hi-tech antics and old-world charm.
~Helen McCarthy, 500 Manga Heroes & Villains

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 12:22:50 pm »
But what makes you think that he's got this completely different personality? He's cool, he's relatively laid back, he's obviously proud of his skills and he kicks major tail at killing people.
Jigen was pretty cool and laid back when him and Lupin first meet in the Movie. But as the movie progresses it's like he becomes one big ball of stress. To the point where he completely loses that tone and doesn't feel like Jigen anymore. If Jigen stayed portrayed like he did in those first 2 or 3 minutes then he'd be a good Jigen portrayal. But then he loses that "straight man" to Lupin's "wacky guy" feel and seems to take on a role more of a stressed out father. This could be due to the fact that he worked for Lupin II in the Movie. But that just brigs me back to my problems with his background, lol.

However, there are many crazy, over-the-top scenes in "Part II" that would have fit right in with the live-action, and Part III probably has several more to add to the pile. Heck, just watch "Golden Legend of Babylon," which easily matches, if not "out-wackies" (yes, I made that up) "Strange Psychokinetic Strategy."
I guess that's why I liked the Movie and many people who watched Lupin at the time of this Movie's release did not. I like it when Lupin and wacky and zany. So to me, this campy Movie fit right in with the tone of what the franchise eventually became.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 12:50:30 pm »
But what makes you think that he's got this completely different personality? He's cool, he's relatively laid back, he's obviously proud of his skills and he kicks major tail at killing people.
Jigen was pretty cool and laid back when him and Lupin first meet in the Movie. But as the movie progresses it's like he becomes one big ball of stress. To the point where he completely loses that tone and doesn't feel like Jigen anymore. If Jigen stayed portrayed like he did in those first 2 or 3 minutes then he'd be a good Jigen portrayal. But then he loses that "straight man" to Lupin's "wacky guy" feel and seems to take on a role more of a stressed out father. This could be due to the fact that he worked for Lupin II in the Movie. But that just brings me back to my problems with his background, lol.

It's been quite a while since I've watched the movie, but you might have a valid point here. I'm specifically thinking of the scene used in the trailer where he chews Lupin out over the lost bank certificate that was worth umpteen gajillion dollars. However, I don't strongly recollect any other scenes like that. But that's not to say they don't exist...again, it has been a while for me.
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 04:40:22 pm »
Gozar: I liked the guy playing Lupin, but let's be honest here. He looks like the Japanese proto-Austin Powers. He's supposed to be suave, not a Adam West Batman reject. As for who I'd pick for that look, Netflix the OSS 117 movies.

LupinTheThird:
To be fair, though....cartoony behavior in a live-action movie is a LOT HARDER for people to tolerate than it is in an animated movie.

Tell me about it. I just sat through Yatterman a few months ago. Though, ironically, I think Miike would "get" Lupin better. And that's obviously a main reason why Scott Pilgrim bombed.

gecko: Yeah, I met one of the "producers" from Sunrise at AX, and told them flat out: Worry about the Bebop casting first, focus on the script later. My picks off the top of my head were Asano for Vicious, Jackman for Spike, Rourke for Jet, and that little girl from CJ7 for Ed.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 04:40:44 pm by GATSU »

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 12:45:40 am »
Gozar: I liked the guy playing Lupin, but let's be honest here. He looks like the Japanese proto-Austin Powers. He's supposed to be suave, not a Adam West Batman reject. As for who I'd pick for that look, Netflix the OSS 117 movies.
My picks off the top of my head were Asano for Vicious, Jackman for Spike, Rourke for Jet, and that little girl from CJ7 for Ed.
I absolutely adore Jean Dujardin in OSS 117, il est fantastique! I couldn't help thinking about Lupin when I first saw the movies, even if Lupin is way, WAY smarter than that character! ;)
A Cowboy Bebop adaptation certainly has potential and ahem, Tadanobu Asano as Vicious?! DAMN, that'd be too HOT for words! ;D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:45:57 am by gothichyppie »

Ichi........................................ ni........................................ TROIS!

blackcoated

• [Member]
  • the world is mine
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 03:32:06 pm »
haha the bebop movie is gonna stay in development hell probably because of the budget they need last time i checked

http://www.myspace.com/weberwound
my 1st uploaded and made by me video on youtube maybe ill do areview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVIu3Jssf7A&feature=channel_page

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 10:44:08 pm »
It's been quite a while since I've watched the movie, but you might have a valid point here. I'm specifically thinking of the scene used in the trailer where he chews Lupin out over the lost bank certificate that was worth umpteen gajillion dollars. However, I don't strongly recollect any other scenes like that. But that's not to say they don't exist...again, it has been a while for me.
I believe there were quite a number of similar scenes afterwords.

But that's just it. It portrays a goofy, campy Lupin. Similar to what the old 60's Batman TV series was going for. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and we the fans shouldn't either.

Jo

• Part of the Gang
  • natto mmm.
    • I am a vegan. Except on half price wing night.
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 12:07:43 am »
Quick and dirty of two articles that have come up. A lot of contradictions and I can't vouch for the credibility of the sources, but this article is being copy pasted around o_O.

This article has a quote from Sawajiri saying that she isn't going for the role.

Source for the below info. Take it all with a grain of salt.
  • Oguri Shun has already been cast, but that would therefore mean that the movie has been green-lighted (there hasn't been any official announcements but keep reading to see what they are saying)
  • It's apparently a toss up between Mizushima Hiro (Beck, Absolute Boyfriend, Hana Kimi) or Tatsuya Fujiwara (Light in Death Note) for Jigen
  • Terajima Susumu (he was actually in the 2009 Goemon film) has turned down the role for Zenigata so they've offered the role to Kagawa Teruyuki (Inspector Tanbara in Mr. Brain)
  • This article says that Sawajiri hasn't declined the role (like the other said) but hasn't given a definitive answer. She's waiting for actual confirmation and a script to determine the quality of the film before she decides.
  • The role of Fujiko is still up in the air and they're having troubles with finding someone to play her part (but the way the article is written it sounds as though they're holding out for Sawajiri). They've entertained the idea of various gravure idols/models such as Haruka Ayase (but they mention that the role of Fujiko would go against her NG image) however they're wanting someone who doesn't just fit the physical requirements but that can act as well.
  • Ryoko Yonekura (Model/Actress) and Norika Fujiwara (Former Miss Japan) were also ideal choices for Fujiko but due to the casting choices for the other characters, they needed a younger actress. (All the choices for Lupin and Jigen are in their mid twenties)
  • The movie is looking like it'll cost in the billions (yen, unspecified so anywhere in the 10-100 million USD range), and 3D is definitely something they're thinking about as well
  • Takashi Miike is wanted as director (Audition, Ichi the Killer, Crows Zero - which stared Oguri Shun actually) but he's currently working on a 3D remake of Harakiri
  • Despite casting difficulties, an unfinished script and the director they want busy with other projects, they're still hoping for a Fall 2011 release. But they need get a Fujiko in order for this to work.
There was no word on the role of Goemon unfortunately.

So... all in all I'm not really sure how to take this. It IS still a rumor, albeit one that is apparently picking up some serious speed, so I'm not getting my hopes up. The article makes it sounds as though they're already working on getting the project off the ground, but again I'm not really sure if it's all just talk. I'm a big fan of a lot of the actors that have been mentioned, but I don't think many of them are right for the role. It definitely sounds like they're going for big-budget-wow considering their director and casting choices and the the 3D thing though.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:39:11 am by JoYi »

Lupin III Manga Database[Scanlations and such are here]

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 12:59:14 am »
I dig Miike when he keeps his flicks brief, 'cus I was absolutely bored to death by Izo and Yatterman. Personally, though, I'd prefer Kitamura on-board, 'cus an LA Lupin should be about the adventure. No need to turn it into Indy 4::)

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 01:09:50 pm »
Ah, so it'll have a budget (as Japanese films go, anyway). That's good. Hopefully they haven't "over-written" for their budget. Thanks for passing along the info, I really appreciate it. Also, what does "NG" stand for? "Nice-girl?" Is that a Japanese-made acronym or did you just abbreviate that on your own?

<opinion>
I'm not expecting quality. I've never been much for the Japanese school of acting, or I should say "over-acting." Just like in anime, they feel like they need to overstate the point or the joke (either verbally or physically). It gets pretty irritating.
</opinion>
-R. Nelson

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 02:48:21 pm »
or Tatsuya Fujiwara (Light in Death Note) for Jigen
.....................................................................Ugh

Jo

• Part of the Gang
  • natto mmm.
    • I am a vegan. Except on half price wing night.
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 05:34:14 pm »
Ah, so it'll have a budget (as Japanese films go, anyway). That's good. Hopefully they haven't "over-written" for their budget. Thanks for passing along the info, I really appreciate it. Also, what does "NG" stand for? "Nice-girl?" Is that a Japanese-made acronym or did you just abbreviate that on your own?

<opinion>
I'm not expecting quality. I've never been much for the Japanese school of acting, or I should say "over-acting." Just like in anime, they feel like they need to overstate the point or the joke (either verbally or physically). It gets pretty irritating.
</opinion>
No problem. And yup, NG stands for 'Nice Girl'. I guess I overlooked it since it's just one of those Japanese-made abbreviations of English phrases. I understand what you mean about the over-exaggerated acting skills of a lot of Japanese "dorama" actors and actresses, however judging by the list of actors, choice of director and budget that they want I think they're going for a serious, Hollywood style blockbuster. These actors they've picked out for the main four can pull off a fairly good performance, and they're all also fairly popular as well, often ranking at the top or in the top 5 of polls (save for Fujiwara)

I can definitely see why they want Sawajiri as Fujiko. She went on hiatus a few years ago due to a hugely publicized scandal over her less-than-sweet behavior and was dropped from her agency. I'm not exaggerating when I say Japan is watching her every move and waiting for her to make her big acting comeback. Unlike most Japanese actresses Sawajiri can actually act, and having her name attached to the Lupin movie as her 'big comeback' would bolster box office sales immensely (this was actually mentioned in the article, but I didn't think it was all that interesting)

I'm personally on the fence with Oguri Shun. He's generally cast as the silent, brooding, supporting character, although it's mostly due to his own personal preference, so I'm not really sure what to expect. He's another big name and highly popular with the female crowd.

Mizushima Hiro is not someone I'd expect in the role of Jigen. His acting isn't bad per se, but he does tend to come off more innocent and bubbly? I'll hold off deciding whether he'd be a decent Jigen until I actually get around to seeing Tokyo Dogs or him in Beck as Ryuusuke though. Again he's another big name actor that has a huge female following BUT he cut ties with his agency a couple of days ago to pursue a career as a writer so who knows what's going to happen to him as an actor.

Tatsuya Fujiwara. Same as Gozar. No. Decent actor, but just no.

Teruyuki. I do tend to enjoy performances by older Japanese actors since they're usually good. He's a fairly well rounded actor that can do serious and funny so I don't really have any objections to him playing Zenigata aside from his physical build. I believe he's only 5"7 or 6, whereas Oguri is over 6ft, and Zenigata is roughly seen as in the same height range as Lupin.

Wow. This post was longer than I wanted it to be.

Lupin III Manga Database[Scanlations and such are here]

DDDINC

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 11:45:49 pm »
Not that I have a ton to add here but I actually thought Zenigata is the tallest of all the main cast so....
Is it wrong to steal Lupin merchandise or just hilariously ironic??

Zoo Station

• [Member]
    • The Fedora Chronicles
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 11:16:28 am »
I think a live-action Lupin film could be great with the right actors and proper script that emphasizes character development and story instead of overblown CGI. I'm not expecting much but they could always surprise us.