Author Topic: [Rumor] Live Action Lupin III (Japan)  (Read 30059 times)

FilmmakerJ

Re: [Rumor] Live Action Lupin III
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2010, 08:44:12 pm »
I may be one of the few people who thinks that Lupin will never translate well into live action, no matter who they cast.
Just my 2 cents though  :) And even if they make the worst Lupin movie ever I would still go see it in theaters.
I know what you mean, but curiosity would get the best of me too!
If they do translate it into live-action, at least it can't be as bad as 'Strange Psychokinetic Strategy', I did NOT enjoy that film! I may have a great Lupin collection, I still keep that one out of it! ::)
I must be one of the only Lupin fans alive who actually liked the 1974 Live Action Movie. To me Lupin was pretty in character. My only gripe was with Jigen's portrayal and background.

Don't worry Gozar, you're not the only one. I picked "Strange Psycokinetic Strategy" at Dragon Con cause I found it there. And if I ever want my available collection of Lupin movies to be complete, nothing can be left out. The only one I have left to get that's ever been available in the US is "The Fuma Conspiracy." I don't want to bother with Green vs Red cause to buy a copy that's in Amazon or Ebay limbo would cost too much. I even went out and found "Gold of Babylon" on Amazon.com on VHS, so I bought it too, and it was pretty good.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2010, 08:51:29 pm »
I think the actress for Fujiko is OK, I mean I haven't seen any of her performances, but the proposed actor for Lupin doesn't look like he'd be suited for the role. I'm trying to imagine his hairstyle different, like closely cropped, and with sideburns, and he still doesn't seem right.

Actually, I'd prefer the cast of a new live action Lupin III film to be international, a bit like the old Italian "Spaghetti Westerns" of the 1960s and '70s, which principally consisted of American, Italian, and Spanish actors.

Lupin: A French actor, I'm not really convinced that Lupin is necessarily part Japanese, in origin
Jigen: Either an Italian-American, or Jewish-American actor would suit this role, I think
Goemon: Only a Japanese actor would suit this role believably
Fujiko: Erika Sawajiri, the actress mentioned, can probably work
Zenigata: I think a Japanese actor should be cast as Zenigata

You are absolutely right. Like I said, I can't see this guy or this girl necessarily as Lupin and Fujiko. In fact, he looks just like the guy they had play Jimmy Cudo in the live action tv specials of "Detective Conan." And he didn't look right for the part either. Honestly, my original point that Japanese or Asian people don't look like anime characters, which makes them not right to play the parts is true. The only guy in those DC specials that looked good in the role was the guy they had play Richard Moore. He looked pretty darn good.

So with your point here that the Lupin gang should be international, I say that makes perfect sense. Even if every character is from Japan, they travel around the world so much, and Jigen went to American for 7 years, the plot could be changed so that each was from a different country. I'm not keen on making Lupin actually a French guy either, even though he is French and I said that in my post, because all three of his English actors sound great, so I'd like to see a smooth, jazzy American actor portray him.

The only hiccup is that the production company for this picture will have to find out how to best handle Lupin's fashion style. Because we never want to see him not wear the famous Red or Green Jacket, most likely Red. But in a live action movie, the red jacket won't be believable. It would've been believable back in the 60s or 70s in live action. But now it will be harder than ever to make it look right. But with the right people, a little luck, and some true filmmaking skill (I pray), that one problem and this film all together may yet turn out great.  ;D

Jenko

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 10:13:34 am »
Ugh. I know i am curious how it will end but ... a Live Action Lupin the Third movie? No thanks.

They have to land a secure golden shot, otherwise they will f**k up their own careers and propably harm the franchise a few years.

The only good asian actors are mostly the most mature, older generation with a lot of experience. Young male actors look pale and i don't buy any of the stuff they try to bring on the screen. And Lupin being played by an asian is kind of troublesome. Why? You can say what you want, but Lupin is japans "Rupan Sansei" and they mostly want to see him as an asian.  That the original source looks like an european monkey never stopped them to try. ( anyone seen the Sailor Moon Live action series?! )

For me, Lupin is an white caucasian european male in his thirties, with too much time, money, talents and imagionation on his hands. He looks like a dork, behaves like one, happy-go-lucky type. Energetic, naive and overconfident. If Japan wants me to take the role seriously, they better get a non-asian whos not too old or goodlooking. (and the rumor about this actor in the thread is a freaking joke ... he looks like bathes in milk and cries in baby seals )

Jigen needs at least an actor in his 40's, or at least he has to look like hes coming out of the desert after gaining a life experience in killing in a casual manner. Maybe an asian could pull this off ... but i have no hope for that ...

Goemon has to be a japanese male. The actor needs to come off as serious, calm and subtely funny at the same time. People have to buy that hes a warrior who f**ks your shit up if you don't do what he says, before he goes to the cinema, watches a yakuza flick and goes into a battle quoting the movie-hero.

Fujiko? Well ... she has to be a classy slut with a good fashion sense. A good dose of arrogance and TITS. Asian or not, the tits don't care.

Zenigata? OLD. JAPANESE. WORKER. His face has to be far older than the others, kinda wrinkly with a lot of character, badass mofo.
Doesn't hurt when he has his funny moments either, but please god no don't make a gag-relief out of him ...

The villian could be anything.

And the movie itself ... we need a Italian Job ( original ) and Catch me if you can - James Bond crossover guise.

(Sorry again for bad english ;_; )
BROKEN PASSWORD LINKS OH MY GOD WHAT THE F**K PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Jo

• Part of the Gang
  • natto mmm.
    • I am a vegan. Except on half price wing night.
[JDRAMA] Live Action Lupin III
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2011, 08:44:46 pm »
OOOOOOOMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I have no idea where this person got their info but WHOA WHOA WHOA HOLD UP YO. WILL UPDATE WITH MORE COHERENCY AFTER I FINISH DINNER.

http://jdramas.wordpress.com/2011/01/08/spring-2011-dramas-%E2%80%93-rumours/

------------------------
Okay I've finished digesting and I am not a happy camper. Understandably this is still a rumor but WTF?

A) Casting - Okay this is just one of many things that I'm incredibly displeased with.
  • Oguri (Lupin) - I didn't really have much of a problem with him to begin with and I still don't.
  • Kagawa (Zenigata)- Same as above
  • Abe (Goemon?) - LOVED him in Platonic Sex and Kekkon Dekinai Koto (and he apparently played Uesugi Kenshin which makes me assume he's cast as Goemon) but his age makes me wonder what they were thinking as the other cast members are in their 20s.
  • Ayase (Fujiko) - She's sweet, adorable and dorky and therefore shouldn't have even been considered for the role of Fujiko (but I do <3 her)
  • Fujiwara (Jigen) - Do not want.
B) A Drama?! So not only am I not getting a high budget, possibly 3D movie nor Mizushima Hiro nor Erika Sawajiri, I'm stuck with a drama that, judging by the cast, is most likely going to be a comedy. This is exactly the reason I never wanted a Live Action Lupin anything. This will be a sad, sad Spring and painful mar on the Lupin franchise if this rumor is true.

What the cast will look like if anybody cares anymore. :'(
(Top Row, L-R: Oguri, Fujiwara, Ayase
Bottom, L-R: Abe, Kagawa)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:30:40 pm by JoYi »

Lupin III Manga Database[Scanlations and such are here]

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2011, 12:52:25 am »
My excitement level for this is waaayyyyy under 9,000.
-R. Nelson

Sabutaatti

• [Member]
  • LUPIIINN!!!
    • MAL
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2011, 06:15:24 am »
I I I I I.........

............won't say nothing. Must judge after when we see trailer or the very first episode(?). Where to heck did you, JoYi, find this new anyway? I tried few time to search but nothing :/ bad luck. Maybe need wait couple days if they firmly announce this one.

Dots Salchow

• Actually Dots Salchow
  • Part of the Gang
  • That's Dots to you!
    • Tumblr blog
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2011, 07:32:20 am »
A) Casting - Okay this is just one of many things that I'm incredibly displeased with.
  • Oguri (Lupin) - I didn't really have much of a problem with him to begin with and I still don't.
  • Kagawa (Zenigata)- Same as above
  • Abe (Goemon?) - LOVED him in Platonic Sex and Kekkon Dekinai Koto (and he apparently played Uesugi Kenshin which makes me assume he's cast as Goemon) but his age makes me wonder what they were thinking as the other cast members are in their 20s.
  • Ayase (Fujiko) - She's sweet, adorable and dorky and therefore shouldn't have even been considered for the role of Fujiko (but I do <3 her)
  • Fujiwara (Jigen) - Do not want.
B) A Drama?! So not only am I not getting a high budget, possibly 3D movie nor Mizushima Hiro nor Erika Sawajiri, I'm stuck with a drama that, judging by the cast, is most likely going to be a comedy. This is exactly the reason I never wanted a Live Action Lupin anything. This will be a sad, sad Spring and painful mar on the Lupin franchise if this rumor is true.

This video pretty much sums up my reaction.
With a side order of WHAT THE F*** WERE THEY THINKING?!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 07:49:08 am by geckogirl191 »
Often caught but never held for long, Lupin III brought the gentleman-thief into this century with his hi-tech antics and old-world charm.
~Helen McCarthy, 500 Manga Heroes & Villains

Camjo-Z

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2011, 09:18:16 am »
Fujiwara looks a little young to be playing Jigen...

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2011, 10:45:10 am »
Though still early to judge, I think it might turn out cheesy like Detective Conan adaptation, where I thought none of actors were very convincing as the characters they were trying to portray. And a tv series of Lupin will not work live action, IMHO. It should have been a big budget movie (with appropriate actors, which does not seem to be the case here).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:47:06 am by blackjacket »

Jenko

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2011, 03:20:36 pm »

HUGE F**KING DISHONOR
BROKEN PASSWORD LINKS OH MY GOD WHAT THE F**K PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Jo

• Part of the Gang
  • natto mmm.
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2011, 03:49:10 pm »
I I I I I.........

............won't say nothing. Must judge after when we see trailer or the very first episode(?). Where to heck did you, JoYi, find this new anyway? I tried few time to search but nothing :/ bad luck. Maybe need wait couple days if they firmly announce this one.

After my initial bout of panic I did a quick search (in Japanese) and the only thing I could come up with were articles from the last two or three months, a couple of blog posts and a 2ch thread. The blog site that I posted was found while I was looking up the Spring drama line up. And just to keep anger to a minimum:
THIS IS ALL STILL A RUMOR
but one that's apparently gained enough steam to warrant actual articles on various entertainment sites. Rumors are running rampant and no one is actually confirming or denying that any sort of Lupin Live Action is in the works =/

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2011, 03:50:56 pm »
Around what time of year do these sorts of rumors get confirmed/announced?
-R. Nelson

Jo

• Part of the Gang
  • natto mmm.
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2011, 04:06:05 pm »
^Typically confirmation is two months before it actually airs (so late February/early March), and announcements and rumors start at anytime, really. The fact that there's a cast, station and time slot already attached to it sort of makes me think that this drama might actually happen =/

J B

• Part of the Gang
    • http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3154/65555664.jpg
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2011, 01:24:00 am »
I would probably try to watch it sometime, I guess, but at this point, I would consider a western or Hollywood production more exciting. I hope it's at least a decent Lupin adventure though, and not something incomprehensible or too unbelievable. In my opinion, this film should be grounded to reality, relatively speaking, but retain the traditional Lupin series features and quirks in a way. Then again, this is Lupin III, not a more serious, James Bond film. There should be plenty of quality, humorous situations.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2011, 02:31:00 am »
I think the real question we need to ask is...will it be any better than the Philippine "Lupin" series? (I would assume yes--hopefully there will actually be something resembling action and fewer shots where actors look at the camera on accident).
-R. Nelson