Author Topic: 1993 Tribute to Monkey Punch at Anime America  (Read 2353 times)

Mr.Lupin

• Old-school Superfan
1993 Tribute to Monkey Punch at Anime America
« on: June 18, 2011, 11:22:39 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GigP6tlbVZw

Fans got together at a specific con suite in 1993 where good friends of mine (Clinton Bartee , Lee Bourgeois, Ed Ngai and David Jones) who were also big Lupin fans , put a banner of ESSO LUPIN up and had everyone visiting the room (while we watched Lupin movies and episodes off Laser Disk)  signed that banner and we then made a plaqe with a photograph of the banner for Monkey Punch , and he was presented with it on the last day he was signing and doing sketches for fans.  Jones owned the banner and had "obtained" it during his military time on Okinawa , by pestering a shop owner until he finally agreed to sell the banner to him. 

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Re: 1993 Tribute to Monkey Punch at Anime America
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 08:13:37 am »
What's the translator say before MP says "thank you"?

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 12:23:31 am »
I'd love for him to make a US appearance again. The last time was 2005 I believe and I was not in a position to make the trip then.

Mr.Lupin

• Old-school Superfan
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 12:50:41 am »
I'd love for him to make a US appearance again. The last time was 2005 I believe and I was not in a position to make the trip then.

Are you kidding me ?  I left california and the con scenes in 2004 , and Monkey Punch whom I used to assume was still attending San Diego Comic Con  every year , has actually been gone since 2005 ?  Well now I don't feel like a  disappointment so much any more , I've always felt guilty not being able to attend SDCC evey year since  and  represent Lupin fandom as well as myself as a sort of US anime welcome wagon . God willing well see him again some day.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 05:46:52 pm »
Fans got together at a specific con suite in 1993 where good friends of mine (Clinton Bartee , Lee Bourgeois, Ed Ngai and David Jones) who were also big Lupin fans , put a banner of ESSO LUPIN up and had everyone visiting the room (while we watched Lupin movies and episodes off Laser Disk)  signed that banner and we then made a plaqe with a photograph of the banner for Monkey Punch , and he was presented with it on the last day he was signing and doing sketches for fans.  Jones owned the banner and had "obtained" it during his military time on Okinawa , by pestering a shop owner until he finally agreed to sell the banner to him. 

That story is just amazing to me, because there was practically nothing released state side for Lupin by that time right? Or did they actually have subtitled Laser disks that I have yet to come across?

The only things I know that were in English at that time were the Speed Racer dub of "Mamo" back in 1980 or 81. And then the terrible Cliffhanger video game, with it's cruddy, muddy dubbing. Streamline hadn't even picked up a Lupin license yet.

Where exactly did you guys get your Lupin stuff back then? And how? Did you all know how to speak Japanese, or were the Laser disks subtitled?

I think the whole idea of making that plaque and even buying that ESSO banner is fantastic, and to give it to Monkey Punch too. Wonderful, just wonderful.

I applaud you guys.  :D ;D

Mr.Lupin

• Old-school Superfan
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 09:58:49 pm »
the Cagliostro Castle subtitle was making the indy theatre scene as early as 1990 , I know this because I met Lisa Nelson ( Dirty Pair cosplayer)  one year before AnimeCon 91 , at a Cagliostro screening in Fullerton California.

The Cagliostro Streamline dub featuring Bob Bergen was screened at Anime Expo 1992 , I know this because Macek wanted my opinion on it's quality . 

David Jones was a diehard Lupin fan as was many of us , but my own source was LittleTokyo Los Angeles videostores and a few in Alhambra ( IdolLand )  that rented VHS tapes , there was also videos we got thru networking friendships , those of us with Japanese penpals , didnt have to know japanese to enjoy anime, same holds true today.

At Anime America , I was prodded by those gentleman to give up a black shirt of Lupin I hand painted for myself to him,  it was a cool design of Lupin on a playing card in white outline .  Katoh san appreciated it. I always meant to recreate it for myself again, never did though...