Author Topic: First TV Special Details Leaked (Telecom animates)  (Read 6755 times)

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Re: First TV Special Details Leaked (Telecom animates)
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 02:58:15 pm »
The Tv special from 2007 wasn't a bit Cagliostro-like ?  ??? I found it really Miyazaki-like with allusions to the second film...

I believe the 2007 Special is "Elusiveness of Fog," which was animated by the same studio (Telecom) as the upcoming one. As I mentioned in the first post, I didn't care too much for it, although there are some things I liked about it.
-R. Nelson

veggie 11

• Part of the Gang
    • My blogs
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 03:17:54 pm »
Yes it's Kiri no Elusive from 2007 with the story where Kyosuke Mamo comes to expedite Lupin and his friends 500 years before.

The story was interesting and there was a lot of humour, but Zenigata was really under-used (because Goro Naya's illness I thought) and story not too developed.

There was a lot of references like a picture of Clarisse of a truck and the Fiat 500 comeback. That was a bit like Nostradamus : not so Cagliostro, but many references to the second film.

The link I gave about the French animators who are working on Lupin III said that the Tv special would be animated by a Y. S. (they didn't give a name).
But why Miyazaki was so obsessed to draw this horrible fringle to Jigen in EVERY Lupin anime he did?
-----------------------------------------
I decided to strike for the recognition of Jigen, Goemon and Fujiko's sacrifice in The Castle of Cagliostro

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 05:18:23 pm »
Yes! If the animation director who has worked with Ghibli is doing this in a Cagliostro style, I AM TOTALLY DIGGING it. One of the main reasons I liked Cagliostro was the animation! But your right, I don't think they can totally pull off what Miyazaki did so well in Cagliostro which made non Lupin III fans and Lupin III fans internationally love the movie so much.

Well they might not be able to do it so much now. But Miyazaki looks much different these days then he did back with Cagliostro. Back then his designs were squishier, with slightly larger hands and heads, and rounder edges to clothing and such; and the overall drawing style was simpler, less detail in the coloring and inking skill. His designs and animation are much more crisp and constant these days. So if they (Telecom) were going to imitate his by-gone style, then they might be able to do that. Telecom kept up the similar animation style of "Sherlock Hound" after Miyazaki left. Even if the stories lagged a little, the animation style remained just the same as far as I could tell.

It will be a challenge of course. The heart has to be in the work to make it look a certain way, they have to catch those little details to make it look totally like a sequel. (which is pretty much what it is if the style is meant to be similar)

And by the way, I had actually posted a poll on Deviantart.com, asking fans if they might like to see a sequel to "The Castle of Cagliostro." (actually, rather, it was a poll to see if people would like another Miyazaki Lupin movie. But this is just as well) If I pull up the poll, the general consensus was...7 yes, 3 no. Small I know, but my point is, I was hoping to see some sort of sequel to Cagliostro, and it really didn't matter to me who did it, as long as it looked comparable in style and animation, and it retained a good story.

We can't speak for what route they will go with Lupin's personality this time. Will he be kind, reserved and charismatic like he was in Cagliostro? Or will he be sly, sneaky and rude, just the way we normally like him. I'm interested to see which they choose.

veggie 11

• Part of the Gang
    • My blogs
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 05:00:31 am »
We can't speak for what route they will go with Lupin's personality this time. Will he be kind, reserved and charismatic like he was in Cagliostro? Or will he be sly, sneaky and rude, just the way we normally like him. I'm interested to see which they choose.

Why not? It's true Lupin was a bit too stupid in the last Tv Special, so a Lupin more mature but with humor could be a good idea (like in Dead or Alive). I just hope they would not make the heros to Cagliostro-like, so Jigen stupid and hysterical, Goemon serious and under-used (like in some Tv specials) or Fujiko as a Tomboy. They made that on 'Nostradamus' and the result was... childish (even if I liked the movie).
But why Miyazaki was so obsessed to draw this horrible fringle to Jigen in EVERY Lupin anime he did?
-----------------------------------------
I decided to strike for the recognition of Jigen, Goemon and Fujiko's sacrifice in The Castle of Cagliostro

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 04:11:38 pm »
I think saying Ghibliesque implies more of the narrative than the artwork. Or not...

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 04:35:09 pm »
I think saying Ghibliesque implies more of the narrative than the artwork. Or not...

No, no. I think you're more right to say Ghibliesque implies story and narrative quality, rather than art style. Because more than one director works and has worked at Ghibli. Contrary to what many fans of Ghibli films think, Miyazaki did not direct every film. The Cat Returns had a distinctly different style than Whisper of the Heart, which were supposed to be related films, and both of which were not directed by Miyazaki. On the one hand, "the Cat Returns" had a very rounded style to heads, eyes, and body types. While "Whisper of the Heart" had a more realistic, boney structure to the character designs. In the case of "Whisper of the Heart" especially, here we have the script of Miyazaki, but the direction of someone else, Yoshifumi Kondo, who I believe was the youngest director Ghibli had at the time, but he tragically died a few years after the movie released.

So Ghibliesque should probably be akin to story and narrative quality. While Miyazakiesque might be for animation style. Although, even then, his particular world views and story topics are much more deep and meaningful then his colleagues at Ghibli, so that could still stand for narrative quality.

In this case, I'm not sure what would represent animation style and design, other than a adjective being derived from the individual film itself; i.e. Cagliostroesque.
(however, that's a very odd and long word to pronounce. LOL!  ;D )

Jenko

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 06:54:03 pm »
When i hear Studio Gihibli and Myazaki i have to think about a cute princess, giant planes and flying things, castles, lots of water and trees.
BROKEN PASSWORD LINKS OH MY GOD WHAT THE F**K PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 09:02:21 am »
Now it is official. Based on Amazon, the magazine hits on November.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 09:23:50 am »
Perfect ! Hope we'll know a bit more about the tv projects !  ;D
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

LadyLupin

• Part of the Gang
  • Lady Lupin Sansei
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 09:36:40 am »
To avoid confusion, is it just a new special rather than a TV special and a new series?

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2011, 11:55:05 am »
To avoid confusion, is it just a new special rather than a TV special and a new series?
Honestly, I don't think anyone really knows just yet. We're all hoping it's both.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2011, 12:00:51 pm »
There have been two rumors floating around since spring.

The first one talks about a TV Special animated by Telecom, in a Ghibliesque style; ( this mention to Ghibli doesn't specify whether this implies both plot and animation style ). This rumor has been confirmed as you see.

There is a second rumor mentioning animator Takeshi Koike as the character designer for a new TV Series, in a Monkey Punch style. This one unconfirmed.

But if I'm not wrong, moderator Reed Nelson's anonymous japanese source has heard about the second rumor too. That probably makes the rumor 99.999999999% true.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 12:03:54 pm by SSJ3_Goku345 »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 04:34:09 am »
Latest news on this special can be found in this thread, including details about the new voice cast.
Discussion will be moved there.

/forums/index.php?topic=1736.0

Locking thread.
-R. Nelson