Author Topic: "The Fuma Conspiracy" DVD Feedback Thread  (Read 6148 times)

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
"The Fuma Conspiracy" DVD Feedback Thread
« on: February 05, 2012, 02:46:48 pm »
Please post any questions or comments about the movie itself, the subtitle translation, and the disc's extras content here. Feel free to drop knowledge on each other as needed.

FYI, this is about the 2007 Discotek Region 1 DVD (not the 2003 AnimEigo release bearing the "Rupan III" branding). The Discotek release comes in a distinct, "Xbox green" keepcase.
-R. Nelson

RedTail

Re: "The Fuma Conspiracy" DVD Feedback Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 07:43:27 am »
"Distinct." Yeah, that's the right word for it! ;D

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 11:28:12 pm »
FYI: This release is now out of print. I strongly recommend you track it down ASAP if you want to own it.
-R. Nelson

JAG2045

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 08:13:06 am »
I watched this the other day (bought a copy once I saw it was out of print!), while the animation is good I really didn't care for the English voice actors for this one (Jigen was really bad!). Which company dubbed this and did they ever do any other Lupin dubs?

However it was cool to see Goemon get more focus and his fiancĂ©e was really nice - I take it she never returns even though that means shes still waiting for him  ;) did he ever have any other romances (I know there was Kikyo in Dragon of Doom)?

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 08:35:55 pm »
JAG: Animeigo, and no. Though they did also sub Legend of the Gold of Babylon.

JAG2045

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 08:12:47 pm »

Ok thanks for clarifying Gatsu, I wonder why they dubbed this one but not Gold Babylon?

Still the DVD is good and the commentary is really informative

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 12:22:05 am »

Ok thanks for clarifying Gatsu, I wonder why they dubbed this one but not Gold Babylon?

Still the DVD is good and the commentary is really informative

Legend of the Gold of Babylon has really uneven pacing, a crazy pastel artstyle thanks to Yuuzoh Aoki and is just weird. It's unfortunately just not a very marketable product around here. Conversely, Plot of the Fuuma Clan involves Yasuo Ohtsuka and Telecom Animation Film in a very tightly written, superbly animated, Miyazaki-Lupin-inspired action-comedy romp. Fuma was definitely the safer dubbing bet between them....and dubbing is NOT cheap.
-R. Nelson

DragonmasterDan

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 08:23:05 pm »

Legend of the Gold of Babylon has really uneven pacing, a crazy pastel artstyle thanks to Yuuzoh Aoki and is just weird. It's unfortunately just not a very marketable product around here. Conversely, Plot of the Fuuma Clan involves Yasuo Ohtsuka and Telecom Animation Film in a very tightly written, superbly animated, Miyazaki-Lupin-inspired action-comedy romp. Fuma was definitely the safer dubbing bet between them....and dubbing is NOT cheap.

Everything tied to the pink jacket series seems a little less popular unless you happen to be in Italy. But I do like Gold Babylon overall although not as much as Fuma Clan. It's too bad discotek cancelled the US DVD of it years back

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 01:39:11 am »

Everything tied to the pink jacket series seems a little less popular unless you happen to be in Italy. But I do like Gold Babylon overall although not as much as Fuma Clan. It's too bad discotek cancelled the US DVD of it years back

Honestly, I think their announcement was premature. I think they had first dibs on the license (not actually licensed it) but then decided against it after they'd had a few titles under their belt. But yeah, shame it didn't make it to market.
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 11:31:45 am »
Well, I hope Discotek's alleged crowdfunding thing includes Babylon, so fans can finally decide on their own.

fantasticmrfox

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 02:14:43 pm »
Question: is there any plans to out fuma on Hulu? With it out of print, the recent release of Jigen's Gravestone and Detective Conan, plus the new series coming out, the high wuality of the animation and such, it does make sense.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 10:35:20 pm »
It's out of print, so Discotek doesn't have any rights to it. From what I know, TMS doesn't have the international license for "The Fuma Conspiracy," it's Toho. So who knows if they'll bother. TMS probably would already have it on there by now if it were up to them.
-R. Nelson