Author Topic: "The Complete First TV Series" DVD Pre-release Thread  (Read 21214 times)

MIBlackburn_d6

• [Member]
Re: "The Complete First TV Series" DVD Pre-release Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 10:16:48 am »
I'm not sure how to order this. I live in the UK and really want the Discotek set. I'm afraid to pre-order just in case I don't have enough money at the time of release. I'm also a little afraid to order something with a value over £25 from abroad as it might end up stuck at customs (this has happened to me before... the whole process is ridiculous.) I might just wait until it releases and then check how much it'd cost to import from Amazon and chance it...

If you want to avoid the set going through customs and all the mess that comes with it like going to the collection centre and having to pay £8 plus whatever VAT on top, I'd buy it from a company that imports DVDs into the EU and pays the VAT so you don't get any unexpected fees. I'd recommend a company like United Publications (about £40 including the shipping) or Planet Axel.

The limit for the customs was set at £15 in November (down from £18), not £25, so if we import the box set from Amazon with the rates at the moment, it'd end up costing over £50 (£39 for the box set and shipping, £7ish for VAT, £8 for Royal Mail's processing fee).

I'm personally going for the first option as it's easier for one high-ish priced item and I'll probably be picking it up from one of the companies at a local con two days before it's released as they tend to get DVDs about 1-2 weeks ahead of the release date.

You might watch for when Discotek puts up their own page. He might do international shipping directly, but I am not 100% on that. (His licenses might prohibit him from personally doing so.)

Going by Discotek's eBay page, they ship internationally for a $6 flat fee.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 01:08:50 am »
I guess I'm a little late to the pre-order party. I should've paid attention to these threads down here. lol

But I did opt for buying from RightStuf just a few short days ago, because it was slightly cheaper (not by much though) than Amazon. And they usually like to stick little cards and catalogs in with their stuff, and sometimes I get nice little advertisement cards from them with nice artwork of different shows, so I like their presentation with what they sell.

GodKill123

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 02:37:53 pm »
When I was at New York Comic-con I went up to the Discotek booth and told them how they were my favorite anime company right now since they were bring the first tv series in US.

I asked them if they were going to bring anymore Lupin The Third stuff over to the States, and maybe finish what Geneon left off.

The guy running the booth told me was "Maybe actually. If sales for this is pretty good then maybe we can get the rights for some of the early tv specials."

That is what I've been told. I wouldn't mind bringing over the early 90s TV specials. Russia With Love is my favorite one (but they obviously need to changed the title if they get the rights to it)

Anyway, I am going to order this soon. I've brought all the Fist of The North DVDs Discotek put out, they sure can take all of my money.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 03:32:33 pm »
I'm so happy that they're this interested in Lupin. I'm going to try to hype this release as much as I can when it gets closer to the release date.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 05:43:43 pm »
Anyone have $60 I can borrow?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

RedTail

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 10:38:03 am »
I guess I'm a little late to the pre-order party. I should've paid attention to these threads down here. lol

But I did opt for buying from RightStuf just a few short days ago, because it was slightly cheaper (not by much though) than Amazon. And they usually like to stick little cards and catalogs in with their stuff, and sometimes I get nice little advertisement cards from them with nice artwork of different shows, so I like their presentation with what they sell.

Hope ya tossed another item in your cart. Shipping is free after $49.

GodKill123

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 12:34:03 pm »
I may just buy the DVD if their is a Discotek booth at Animenext. You can decent money if you buy directly from them. I got Fist Of The North Star Volume 4 dvd for $40, it would cost $60 or $70 if I buy online.

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
-R. Nelson

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 12:17:31 pm »
I've updated the FAQ to include more details on the extras.
-R. Nelson

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 12:01:10 am »
I'm curious as to exactly why it's going for $50.

I mean I know those two Unico DVDs were pretty pricy just for the one movie each, but that's because that was for a very very niche market likely, and they were the only ones who were going to buy it.

Is it the same with us. Does Discotek assume that only the Lupin fan community is going to buy these, so they're selling them for a good hefty price? I mean I bought Soul Eater: Meister and Weapon collections for $35 a piece, and those are on blu-ray. I have never paid over $30 for a single TV series in my life. Even "Brisco County Jr." doesn't go for this much except at stupid stores that still think it's worth $99 dollars.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 01:54:58 am »

I mean I know those two Unico DVDs were pretty pricy just for the one movie each, but that's because that was for a very very niche market likely, and they were the only ones who were going to buy it.

Is it the same with us. Does Discotek assume that only the Lupin fan community is going to buy these, so they're selling them for a good hefty price? I mean I bought Soul Eater: Meister and Weapon collections for $35 a piece, and those are on blu-ray. I have never paid over $30 for a single TV series in my life. Even "Brisco County Jr." doesn't go for this much except at stupid stores that still think it's worth $99 dollars.

It's a good question. I don't have an answer on that one (it surprised even me, honestly). However, I can give you my best guess. Unless something changes, the video is an exact duplicate of the Japanese "Lupin the Box" video footage. A comparable Japanese release is massively more expensive (not that most anime releases aren't this way): the original DVD release of the series will set you back at least $100 used. But that's not really a good rationale.

Something to remember is that most retailers (including e-tailers) tend to discount home videos pretty heavily from MSRP. A new Blu-ray comes out with a 39.99 MSRP? Be sure to pick it up at Walmart that week for 27.99 (or rather, 27.94)! Even though Amazon isn't looking as generous on this as they usually do, it will inevitably come down. So in short, yeah I agree that it's high, but it's not a permanent price point. Amazon has two of the Fist of the North Star sets going for about $39 right now, for example.
-R. Nelson

RedTail

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 12:06:37 pm »
Their TV series are all pretty overpriced compared to their movies releases. Classics like GE999 retail for under $20. It's pretty odd.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 07:23:48 pm »

It's a good question. I don't have an answer on that one (it surprised even me, honestly). However, I can give you my best guess. Unless something changes, the video is an exact duplicate of the Japanese "Lupin the Box" video footage. A comparable Japanese release is massively more expensive (not that most anime releases aren't this way): the original DVD release of the series will set you back at least $100 used. But that's not really a good rationale.

Something to remember is that most retailers (including e-tailers) tend to discount home videos pretty heavily from MSRP. A new Blu-ray comes out with a 39.99 MSRP? Be sure to pick it up at Walmart that week for 27.99 (or rather, 27.94)! Even though Amazon isn't looking as generous on this as they usually do, it will inevitably come down. So in short, yeah I agree that it's high, but it's not a permanent price point. Amazon has two of the Fist of the North Star sets going for about $39 right now, for example.

Well crap. I bought my pre-order from Rightstuf, so now I don't know if it will come down before it's released, meaning it may or may not become cheaper before the release, and if it goes down after the release, I won't get Amazon's perk of refunding money if the price goes down after it is shipped to you.

Do you think I should quit on my Rightstuf purchase and go back and buy it on amazon, incase the price would go down? Or does it really matter right now?

GodKill123

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2012, 07:52:09 pm »
Discotek price Fist Of The North Star and Lupin III as the same $45-$60.
The FOTNS DVDs gives you 35-40 episodes ah volume.
The Lupin DVDs going to be the complete thing (23 Episodes)

It's weird that they would price it like that. Fist of the North Star gives more of your money worth if it's going to be priced like that. I tired comparing the DVDs to the episodes I have on my computer. The only thing that is comparable is that they cleaned up the animation for Fist Of The North Star.

I wonder why Discotek is pricing Lupin for that much? It's not long enough to price it that high. I got the complete Cowboy Bebop series for $30 on DVD plus the movie on Blu-ray for an extra $15.

It just seems a little unfair. With FOTHS I got my money worth when I paid around $50 (for each volume, a total of 152 episodes), but the First TV series for that much? Eh.....

f**kitimstillbuyingthis