Author Topic: "The Complete First TV Series" DVD Pre-release Thread  (Read 21213 times)

djmasturbeat

• Part of the Gang
Re: "The Complete First TV Series" DVD Pre-release Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2012, 08:03:48 pm »
I am psyched about this, I must say.  But I am also a little put off by the price for an R1 DVD set.  No offense, but rarely do R1s look or sound as good as the R2Js.

so, now, I have some questions.

1) How many DVDs in this set? 
For a $60 MSRP they better max out  the bitrate and only be getting 3 or 4 eps on a dual layer DVD.  If this is 6 or 7 (or more) eps on a DVD, well.... it'll look like poop.  And that surely won't justify the cost in this failing anime market.

2) Are they using the HD remasters used for the VAP TV/Movies Boxset?  Or (less likely) atleast remastering from original sources. 

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 12:36:12 am »
I am psyched about this, I must say.  But I am also a little put off by the price for an R1 DVD set.  No offense, but rarely do R1s look or sound as good as the R2Js.

so, now, I have some questions.

1) How many DVDs in this set? 
For a $60 MSRP they better max out  the bitrate and only be getting 3 or 4 eps on a dual layer DVD.  If this is 6 or 7 (or more) eps on a DVD, well.... it'll look like poop.  And that surely won't justify the cost in this failing anime market.

2) Are they using the HD remasters used for the VAP TV/Movies Boxset?  Or (less likely) atleast remastering from original sources.

I'm confident this is the "Lupin the Box" R2J remaster video, verbatim. Discotek doesn't screw around on video quality. As far as I can tell, they take the R2J DVD video and copy-paste it onto their version, bit-for-bit.  Compare your R1 "Fuma Conspiracy" with the R2J. It's the same dang thing, AFAIK.

As such, I'm confident it's the same as the R2J "Box" version: 4 discs and the picture is gorgeous. However, like in Lupin the Box, they have an odd "grain-freezing" effect that is waaaayyy more obvious on the BDs than it is on the DVDs. Probably saves them a LOT on filesize and probably bandwidth, too.
-R. Nelson

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 12:38:17 am »
So in a sense, the DVDs in some ways look better than the Blu-Rays?

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 01:37:03 am »
So in a sense, the DVDs in some ways look better than the Blu-Rays?

In a sense.

The problem is so obvious in HD on the Blu-rays that DT will probably not release any BDs of the series.
-R. Nelson

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 02:37:52 am »
Yeah, that's the problem I've always had with BD releases of older series. Unless it is done with the utmost painstaking care, all BD's give you is a better HD look at the age of the film.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 02:41:14 am »
Yeah, that's the problem I've always had with BD releases of older series. Unless it is done with the utmost painstaking care, all BD's give you is a better HD look at the age of the film.

Unless you do it like Disney where every single outline and color is (somehow) repainted, leaving none of the original film behind. Which in their case is actually good, because none of the information and animation is lost, even brush-strokes of backgrounds and special effects animation is still intact. Anyone ever seen "Fantasia" on Blu-ray, it's F-ing AMAZING!

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 03:53:41 am »
This list is subject to change (if something gets omitted or added, I either apologize or smile, depending), but here's what I've put together for extras (except the Pilot Film, of course--I had no hand in that):

-Both Widescreen and 4:3 versions of the Lupin the Third Pilot Film

-Liner notes for each episode, including newly translated credits, trivia, references, jokes, and other miscellaneous information.

-Audio Commentaries on select episodes:
--Episode 3 by Reed Nelson
--Episode 4 by guest commentators Ryan Gilbert and Mike Lepore
--Episode 10 by Reed Nelson
--Episode 13 by guest commentators Ryan Gilbert and Mike Lepore
--Episode 23 by Reed Nelson

-Essays by Daniel Thomas MacInnes of The Ghibli Blog:
--Trains and Scalps: a two-part essay discussing Yasuo Ohtsuka and Isao Takahata's background
--The Big Note: An Introduction to Anime Riffs: Daniel explores his concept of anime "riffs," or self-referential callbacks
--La Dolce Vita and Lupin at Abbey Road: An analysis of the intro sequence of The Castle of Cagliostro

-Song Lyrics

-Weapons of Lupin the Third (a list)

-Vehicles of Lupin the Third (a list)

-Credits for the Lupin the Third Pilot Film

-A Filmography of Lupin the Third
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 04:23:03 am by Reed »
-R. Nelson

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2012, 11:06:08 am »
This list is subject to change (if something gets omitted or added, I either apologize or smile, depending), but here's what I've put together for extras (except the Pilot Film, of course--I had no hand in that):

-Both Widescreen and 4:3 versions of the Lupin the Third Pilot Film

-Liner notes for each episode, including newly translated credits, trivia, references, jokes, and other miscellaneous information.

-Audio Commentaries on select episodes:
--Episode 3 by Reed Nelson
--Episode 4 by guest commentators Ryan Gilbert and Mike Lepore
--Episode 10 by Reed Nelson
--Episode 13 by guest commentators Ryan Gilbert and Mike Lepore
--Episode 23 by Reed Nelson

-Essays by Daniel Thomas MacInnes of The Ghibli Blog:
--Trains and Scalps: a two-part essay discussing Yasuo Ohtsuka and Isao Takahata's background
--The Big Note: An Introduction to Anime Riffs: Daniel explores his concept of anime "riffs," or self-referential callbacks
--La Dolce Vita and Lupin at Abbey Road: An analysis of the intro sequence of The Castle of Cagliostro

-Song Lyrics

-Weapons of Lupin the Third (a list)

-Vehicles of Lupin the Third (a list)

-Credits for the Lupin the Third Pilot Film

-A Filmography of Lupin the Third

Just as good and maybe even more than any other well-beloved release of an anime.

Problem is I have no comparable DVD sets because I've never gotten into any other animes that had boxsets like this. Like they do tons of stuff for Dragonball Z releases (i.e. The Dragon Boxes). and they do all of those limited edition things for Eureka Seven, Lucky Star, and Gurren Lagann, etc. But for Lupin the 3rd, this is the most extras we've ever been given, or in this case "put on there ourselves." The fans are finally taking charge for once. lol

Go Lupinites!

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2012, 09:46:26 pm »
What a line-up. I'm looking forward to those Liner Notes and learning some new stuff about the Lupin franchise.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2012, 10:11:03 pm »
What a line-up. I'm looking forward to those Liner Notes and learning some new stuff about the Lupin franchise.

Aren't we all.  ;D

But question:
What would be the point of song lyrics? Isn't it just going to be, "Lupin the thaaaa-doh (bum bum) Lupin the thaaaa-doh." and "Walta, P thirdee eeeeeiiight! (bum bum bum dah dah) Lupin the thurrrrrd (bum bum bum dah dah)" ? lol

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 12:46:28 am »
But question:
What would be the point of song lyrics? Isn't it just going to be, "Lupin the thaaaa-doh (bum bum) Lupin the thaaaa-doh." and "Walta, P thirdee eeeeeiiight! (bum bum bum dah dah) Lupin the thurrrrrd (bum bum bum dah dah)" ? lol

Mostly, aside from the ending theme. But...why the heck not? It's fun!
-R. Nelson

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2012, 01:53:08 am »
But question:

Mostly, aside from the ending theme. But...why the heck not? It's fun!

So it's kinda like the "jiggle counter" on the Plastic Little DVD.

aalong64

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2012, 09:15:57 am »
I love the idea of the song lyrics when there are no real lyrics to speak of! It's hilarious!

All these special features sound amazing, the content and sheer volume of them is really impressive. We all need to give a big thanks to Reed, Redtail, Mike, Ryan, Daniel "Ghiblicon" Thomas MacInnes, the people at Discotek and whoever else had a hand in them. This is shaping up to be the most well-done, essential English-language Lupin release up to this point.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 09:19:29 am by aalong64 »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2012, 11:19:42 am »
Thanks Aaron. By the way, you were quoted in the liner notes at one point. You're famous!
-R. Nelson

daverhodus

• [Member]
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2012, 07:01:18 pm »
DVD is a 15+ year old format and it really shows its age. I downloaded a Blu-Ray rip of the first episode of Lupin to see what it looks like. It looks great to me. I hope the DVDs sell well enough for us to get the Blu-Rays.