Author Topic: More (unspecified) Lupin from Discotek?  (Read 28168 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
More (unspecified) Lupin from Discotek?
« on: March 15, 2012, 09:56:22 am »
Fandompost notes the company is looking into other specials.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Re: More (unspecified) Lupin from Discotek?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 11:37:36 am »
Neener-neener-neener, I know something yoooou dooooon't. :)

But seriously, is this even news? The Lupin live-action was like Discotek's 2nd DVD release and they've released or announced three others since. I personally doubt they'll be done with "Lupin" until they call it quits.
-R. Nelson

RedTail

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 02:43:20 pm »
(click to show/hide)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 05:34:39 pm »
RedTail: Yeah, that and Babylon. Plus, I got a VHS tape of the UK dub of Lady Liberty, if DT thinks it can use it.

Actually, I've been wanting to give it away, anyway, so TMS could stream it on Hulu.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 05:39:18 pm by GATSU »

RedTail

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 09:00:31 pm »
RedTail: Yeah, that and Babylon. Plus, I got a VHS tape of the UK dub of Lady Liberty, if DT thinks it can use it.

Actually, I've been wanting to give it away, anyway, so TMS could stream it on Hulu.

You took that completely seriously. Didn't you?

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 12:55:09 am »
RedTail: I can always dream. BTW, I guess I was proven right that Lupin does make money for DT.  ;D

RedTail

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 01:08:10 am »
You weren't proven right about anything. DT's had three Lupin releases so far, and we know at least one of them (Fuma) underperformed. I'm willing to wager SPkS didn't exactly sell like hotcakes either.

Besides, the volume of Lupin released isn't necessarily indicative of anything. FUNi put out—what?—eight specials/movies before finally throwing in the towel.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:15:32 am by RedTail »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 01:35:49 am »
FUNi barely did anything with those specials, though. I don't think people even knew they were in stores.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 01:54:18 am »
You weren't proven right about anything. DT's had three Lupin releases so far, and we know at least one of them (Fuma) underperformed. I'm willing to wager SPkS didn't exactly sell like hotcakes either.

Besides, the volume of Lupin released isn't necessarily indicative of anything. FUNi put out—what?—eight specials/movies before finally throwing in the towel.

FUNi released ten titles. The only reason they released them all is because they licensed them and, well, may as well get their money's worth, you know? You could tell by the end they were practically pooping them out (some of those DVD cases felt and smelled like they were literally scraped from the bottom of some barrel). The reissue bundles were actually kinda slick, though.
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 02:07:06 am »
LTT: Yeah, it was a real waste of your domain name, too, but at least you got paid. I never got why they didn't either broadcast those specials or do some sort of cross-promotion with Tokyopop, as they previously suggested.

RedTail

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 11:37:20 am »

FUNi released ten titles. The only reason they released them all is because they licensed them and, well, may as well get their money's worth, you know? You could tell by the end they were practically pooping them out (some of those DVD cases felt and smelled like they were literally scraped from the bottom of some barrel). The reissue bundles were actually kinda slick, though.

I dunno, Reed. They stopped after releasing half of them and didn't start up again until later. Could've been that they had an option to pick up the others and wanted to to test the waters again. Even if that wasn't the case though, they still could've cut their losses and not spent $30-40 grand dubbing and issuing each one separately. We know SOMEONE at FUNi was a pretty big Lupin fan. Their dubs that hark back to the Streamline days are a pretty good indicator of that. I'd like to think that person pushed to give the franchise a second chance.

Quote from: GATSU
LTT: Yeah, it was a real waste of your domain name, too, but at least you got paid. I never got why they didn't either broadcast those specials or do some sort of cross-promotion with Tokyopop, as they previously suggested.

Half of 'em were released around the height of Lupin in North America. I believe they all showed up on FUNi's on-demand channel at one point or another. Probably a good shot some even streamed too. Heck, I think there might have even been some internet ads floating around out there for the bundles. That's still more than what DT has or probably ever will be able to do for Lupin promotion. Again, the key to their success is keeping their costs down.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:47:14 am by RedTail »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 10:23:16 pm »
RedTail:
That's still more than what DT has or probably ever will be able to do for Lupin promotion.
\

DT can't afford to do that, while FUNi could.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 12:18:35 am »
I'm hoping for Babylon and the 1989-1992 Specials to be the first ones to come out. I love the oldies. But with priority on the Specials since for me personally, I own the VHS of Babylon.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 12:22:22 am by Gozar »

RedTail

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 02:13:48 am »
RedTail:
That's still more than what DT has or probably ever will be able to do for Lupin promotion.
\

DT can't afford to do that, while FUNi could.

Not every title can have a major marketing push behind it. Some that get that treatment fail. Some that don't still do well despite that.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 03:11:59 am »
You know what would be interesting? If Discotek could get the rights to Cagliostro and Mamo and release them with BOTH English Dubs for each Movie (I'm not counting the JAL Mamo Dub).