Author Topic: More (unspecified) Lupin from Discotek?  (Read 28230 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Re: More (unspecified) Lupin from Discotek?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 05:24:46 am »
Red Tail: Well, FUNi could've played at least one of those specials on Adult Swim and/or added a bonus manga on the DVD. I swear, if that company didn't have DBZ, it'd be a failure.

Gozar: Better chance of getting all of the Cagliostro dubs than Mamo dubs.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 11:24:44 am »
You know what would be interesting? If Discotek could get the rights to Cagliostro and Mamo and release them with BOTH English Dubs for each Movie (I'm not counting the JAL Mamo Dub).

I would also love to see Discotek get the rights to "Cagliostro," but I think Manga Video renewed theirs at some point in the last couple years. Sigh.
-R. Nelson

RedTail

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 11:44:29 am »
Quote from: gozar
You know what would be interesting? If Discotek could get the rights to Cagliostro and Mamo and release them with BOTH English Dubs for each Movie (I'm not counting the JAL Mamo Dub).

Some of the titles they've announced recently have multiple dubs, and according to DT, they're going to be included, so that's certainly a possibility. After all, it gives us fans who already own these movies a reason to double, triple, or even quadruple dip. We'll see!

Red Tail: Well, FUNi could've played at least one of those specials on Adult Swim and/or added a bonus manga on the DVD.

FUNi's never televised on basic cable anywhere near the number of shows that Bandai, Geneon, and Viz did. Streamline, Manga, and the undead corpse of CPM probably even have them beat. There's a lot of concessions you gotta make when you put this stuff on someone else's network ("coincidently," the two giants who contributed the least ended up launching their own dedicated anime networks). Sometimes you're giving them the show for free or even paying them. Sometimes you gotta cut 'em into merchandising profits. The more the network doesn't really care about about the show, the more ya gotta give up. That's the tradeoff you make when you try to get a property on TV that the network doesn't own outright.

That said, how do you think CN felt after Part II's short-lived run on the network? Think they were ready to stomach more Lupin? I mean, you're acting getting Lupin on TV again would just be some trivial matter.

I swear, if that company didn't have DBZ, it'd be a failure.

Being bought by a larger corporation, getting a major cash infusion, and then being bought back by Gen Fukunaga for a fraction of what it originally sold for probably helped a lot too. Whatever the circumstances though, the fact still remains that FUNi's still around while a lot of other, more beloved companies, who were supposedly "doing things right", aren't.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 12:56:38 pm by RedTail »

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 11:30:58 pm »
While I do agree that FUNi would have never been able to get big without owning DBZ, the fact that they continue to be big is because they now do things right. Much more so than during the original run of Z. They know how to market. They know how to hype. They know how to stunt cast (Don't tell me that Ouran would be as successful without Vic Mignogna playing the lead). And frankly, the acting in their Dubs are far superior to other companies Dubs. While companies like Viz that don't have in-house casts may have more variety, the acting completely lacks in consistency between series. For example, their Dub of Death Note was fantastic while Hunter x Hunter was down right horrific.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 11:44:34 pm »
RedTail: Well, FUNi was willing to do all that for Kodocha and Detective Conan. Why are a couple Lupin movies any more problematic? Plus, there was no Lupin merchandise here, unless you count those toy cars.

That said, how do you think CN felt after Part II's short-lived run on the network? Think they were ready to stomach more Lupin?

They did apparently rerun it, so FUNi could've taken advantage of that, but chose not to.

Whatever the circumstances though, the fact still remains that FUNi's still around while a lot of other, more beloved companies, who were supposedly "doing things right", aren't.

Well, Discotek is still around, and it's apparently worth a lot more than FUNi after being bought out.  ::)

Gozar: Not sure how buying shitty harem and sex-themed titles no one cares about is doing anything right. And if they knew how to market, then they should have been able to sell tv spin-offs of a long-running series which had the advantage of being comparatively more recent than the original shows. Christ, Manga made a killing on Cagliostro, and how many people knew about Miyazaki after they screwed up Princess Mononoke's U.S. release? As for Ouran, it already had a significant audience through the manga. If the audience was not there, it would be another Full Moon O Sagashite.

And frankly, the acting in their Dubs are far superior to other companies Dubs.

Since when? No one likes their Lupin dubs over that of the competition.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:51:23 pm by GATSU »

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 12:02:33 am »
Not sure how buying shitty harem and sex-themed titles no one cares about is doing anything right.
It proves that FUNimation is very well diversed. They release a great variety of titles. While I'm personally not a fan of harem series, a lot of people are. FUNimation releases everything from comedy to action to harems. It's a wise decision in the long run. Frankly FUNimation is great at kissing the fan bases ass these days.

And if they knew how to market, then they should have been able to sell tv spin-offs of a long-running series which had the advantage of being comparatively more recent than the original shows.
Back in those days, FUNi wasn't very good at marketing. They only Dubbed Lupin between 2002 and 2006, most of that time they did little to no marketing. Keep in mind it's been 6 whole years since FUNi's last Lupin Dub.

Since when? No one likes their Lupin dubs over that of the competition.
While this may be a Lupin forum, their Dub of Lupin is hardly a good gauge on FUNi's actors acting ability (Aside from Sonny Strait, who is down right brilliant as Lupin IMO).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:03:02 am by Gozar »

RedTail

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 01:36:18 am »
RedTail: Well, FUNi was willing to do all that for Kodocha and Detective Conan. Why are a couple Lupin movies any more problematic?

Kodocha never aired on CN. Detective Conan did and flopped. We've had this conversation before at least three times over. Same with the next statement...

Plus, there was no Lupin merchandise here, unless you count those toy cars.

You know there was more than just the cars. There were the sideburns, keychains, and music CDs. I'm sure I also mentioned before that this stuff all costs money to produce too. I'm so sick of having the same arguments again and again with you, dude.

They did apparently rerun it, so FUNi could've taken advantage of that, but chose not to.

They ran the episodes they ordered until their rights lapsed because it was 2003 and weekday late night/early morning timeslots on Adult Swim weren't the coveted prizes they are today. Anime not named Bebop can't even get close to those slots anymore.

Well, Discotek is still around, and it's apparently worth a lot more than FUNi after being bought out.  ::)

If you think a tiny two-person operation that has no permanent staff and makes it's money almost exclusively by licensing older titles with preexisting English language materials is worth more than FUNi, you're nuts. Fukunaga originally sold the company for $114 million. He bought it back for 24 million. The last public earnings disclosure for FUNi was in 2010 when they earned $10 million before taxes. If FUNi was an MLB team, Discotek would be a company softball team. Maybe a semi-pro indy league team at best.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 02:45:32 am »
You know there was more than just the cars. There were the sideburns, keychains, and music CDs.

To be fair to GATSU, the sideburns were never commercially distributed. It was only a trade show/promo giveaway.

I'm pretty sure I have a complete collection of official US Lupin merchandise here at the house. Let me go over it from memory:
-Figurines of all 5 main characters (sold at Suncoast stores)
-Lupin III Bust by the same company as the figures, I think
-Lupin the Third 2004(?) calendar
-All 4 Lupin III Fishing Lures
-All 4 Lupin Choro-Q Limited Edition DVD Pack-ins
-2 "unreleased" Choro-Q recolors (these were recently put up for sale on RightStuf.com for next to nothing)
-2 copies of the Lupin III: Official Soundtrack
-2 copies of the Lupin III: SideBurn Club Mix CD
-The Lupin the 3rd: Worlds Most Wanted Retailer Promo Box, which included:
--Early promo printing of Lupin III: Worlds Most Wanted (Part II DVD Vol. 1) that featured a different subtitle font with at least one typo.
--Promo copy of "Sideburn Club Mix" CD
--Small Lupin III Glow stick
--Lupin III-logo branded metal handcuffs (I lost these but have replaced them with the exact same ubiquitous brand of cuffs, sans logo printing)
--Lupin III Book Bag (this got perma-wrinkled when I stupidly put it in the washer and dryer)
--Lupin III Pioneer T-shirt (I can't find this anymore, but it's gotta be around somewhere...I could recreate it if I needed to anyway, it's just like the book bag)
--Lupin III Sideburns (I opened these because I almost used them for a cosplay)
--Mine also happened to have a few promo tabs for accenting retailer shelves tossed in; not sure if these were standard issue.
--I also store a local TV guide book (not "TV Guide," but the one that came in our local newspaper) for the first week "Lupin" aired on Cartoon Network inside this box for safekeeping
The Lupin the 3rd The Movie: Secret of Mamo retailer box
--Early promo copy of "Secret of Mamo" DVD (identical to the final, AFAIK)
--Novelty oversized cardboard "ticket" flyer, promoting the film
--Black foam. Seriously, that's all there was.

I don't think I missed anything...or did I?
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 03:03:36 am »
Red Tail:
Kodocha never aired on CN.

My bad. I thought Kodocha did air on CN, because that's what FUNi implied they were gonna do with it.

Detective Conan did and flopped.

Again, they still could've inserted a Lupin movie into the mix.

There were the sideburns, keychains, and music CDs. I'm sure I also mentioned before that this stuff all costs money to produce too.

Well, that was Geneon's choice. But no one actually expected the Lupin merch to sell as well as anything else. Anyway, as LTT noted, there was more merch than I thought. But how much of it was actually in stock in most places, and not just promotional?

[They ran the episodes they ordered until their rights lapsed because it was 2003 and weekday late night/early morning timeslots on Adult Swim weren't the coveted prizes they are today.

So that makes FUNi even more far-sighted.

If you think a tiny two-person operation that has no permanent staff and makes it's money almost exclusively by licensing older titles with preexisting English language materials is worth more than FUNi, you're nuts. Fukunaga originally sold the company for $114 million. He bought it back for 24 million.

Well, financial value is one thing, but loyal customers are another. When's the last time anyone got excited about a FUNi license not named Evangelion?

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 03:05:21 am »
Would the PS2 game count? Even so, that IS an impressive collection. Props.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 03:16:59 am »
Now that I think about it, someone on the ANN forums reminded me that Streamline dubbed the Miyazaki Lupin eps. So if that rumour about the Geneon cast finishing 100+ eps does not pan out, at least you have some extra tracks for those.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 03:44:11 am »
Would the PS2 game count? Even so, that IS an impressive collection. Props.

I suppose that would, yes.

I have an opened copy that I actually played and 4 or 5 sealed copies that I got for about $4.50 a piece on clearance at a local supermarket.
-R. Nelson

RedTail

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 03:44:28 am »
Well, financial value is one thing, but loyal customers are another. When's the last time anyone got excited about a FUNi license not named Evangelion?

I could name any number of titles that have generated a lot of buzz in the community, but I'm not going to let this devolve into you and me going back and forth a thousand times over each and every one. The easiest way to settle this is just comparing something that both companies happen to have: Facebook pages.

FUNi: Likes - 477,196
DT: Likes - 907

Oh yeah... So much more excitement! If DT keeps going at this rate, in 500 years, they'll have more likes than FUNi! ::)

Well, that was Geneon's choice. But no one actually expected the Lupin merch to sell as well as anything else. Anyway, as LTT noted, there was more merch than I thought. But how much of it was actually in stock in most places, and not just promotional?

"Y'know if Geneon had just spent several billion to hire NASA to construct a giant laser that they could use to carve Lupin's name into the moon, those DVD's woulda sold like HOTCAKES! HOTCAKES I TELLS YA!"

So that makes FUNi even more far-sighted.

You just complimented them.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:22:16 am by RedTail »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 05:04:26 am »
Redtail:
The easiest way to settle this is just comparing something that both companies happen to have: Facebook pages.

Actually, the easiest way to settle this is to determine which company's got more repackaged releases of DVDs for shows which no one bought.

You just complimented them.

Sorry, wrong choice of words. I meant it made them short-sighted.

RedTail

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 05:22:06 am »
Actually, the easiest way to settle this is to determine which company's got more repackaged releases of DVDs for shows which no one bought.

Gee, how many multi-volume TV shows does DT even have? I count ONE, and it's not even been completely released yet. Besides, that's not even a good way of measuring this. Just about every new show FUNi comes out with gets repackaged somewhere down the line regardless of how it sold. It's standard operating procedure there.

Just accept that you're wrong already. Is it that hard? It's obvious to anyone with eyeballs that FUNi is bigger, makes more money, has more fans, more high profile titles, and more hype in general. Their marketing machine is crazy big! For Christ's sake, they created a f**king social media network on their own website to for their fanbase! I can't believe we're even debating this!

Sorry, wrong choice of words. I meant it made them short-sighted.

Again, can't get a TV show on the air that nobody wants.

"Hey, that giant turd you just fed me was awful!"
"Yeah... Sorry about that. But hey, my buddy here has another one with your name on it!"
"OH, OH! GIMME, GIMME, GIMME!"

C'mon, Gatsu. I know you love Lupin. So do I! But we live in a world where grass is green, the sky is blue, cats go meow, dogs go woof, gravity pulls shit back down to the Earth, and Lupin III just ain't that popular. Is there audience for it though? Yes, but it's small. Can you make money off it. Yes, but it's all about cost control. These are the immutable facts of this world, and no amount of crazy rambling can ever change them!!!

...now a really good new TV series featuring major industry talent on the other hand... Well, that might certainly change some things... We'll just have to wait and see on that one though.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 06:01:52 am by RedTail »