Author Topic: More (unspecified) Lupin from Discotek?  (Read 28231 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Re: More (unspecified) Lupin from Discotek?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 07:35:06 am »
Gee, how many multi-volume TV shows does DT even have? I count ONE, and it's not even been completely released yet.

Fist of the North Star got finished, so I'm not sure what you're alluding to. I do know DT actually buys shows people want, though. Samurai Pizza Cats is probably gonna make a bigger killing for them than Mass Effect will for FUNi.

RedTail

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 02:40:05 pm »
Fist of the North Star got finished, so I'm not sure what you're alluding to.

My bad! Looks like it was finished just last year in November. Fact still remains though, it's their one sole multi-volume release and it's only been FOUR months since the final volume came out.

I do know DT actually buys shows people want, though.

Ah yes, and that makes them special because everybody else is just out to purposely flush away money by buying shows no one wants! DT's got their fair share of shows that I doubt even most fans of older animation give two craps about. Can you honestly say you're psyched to get your hands on stuff like Unico or Little Nemo, Gatsu? How 'bout that all-time classic D.N. Angel?

Edit: Just a little comment about Unico, Nemo, and the other children's titles DT has. I don't think you and I are really the intended audience for them, and I'm sure DT's plan to sell them to parents for children. Only problem is, I don't think any of their titles are distributed to brick and mortar stores. For the adult stuff, that's fine (they should keep that stuff as far away as possible from physical stores), but these kids titles really need to be in places where families would shop (grocery stores, Walmart) if they're going to maximize their sales potential.

Let's talk retail price too. Why do you think most of their old movies retail for around $15? They're not keeping the price low out of the kindness of their hearts. They know a lot of this stuff won't sell all that well if they charge the $25-30 that most other companies would. This also tells me they're getting most of their licenses on the cheap too, otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford to sell the stuff that low.

Samurai Pizza Cats is probably gonna make a bigger killing for them than Mass Effect will for FUNi.

Alright, ME3 just came out so let's use ME2 as the benchmark here. ME2 sold two million units worldwide. If FUNi can tap into even a fraction of those two mil, let's say one-twentieth (5%), that's still 100,000 units, which is a REALLY freakin' big deal in the anime industry where 5,000 units is the typical break-even point.

A good deal of people remember SPC very fondly, but that show isn't going to sell anywhere near 100,000 units. DT also seems to have this baffling strategy for the SPC where they're going to sell it in two separate sets, one dubbed and one subbed. I'm sorry, but that subbed set just ain't gonna sell. People who grew up watching SPC are overwhelmingly gonna want to watch the version they grew up with. It's sorta the same kinda thing with Macross/Robotech. I like Macross, but it's never going to be as popular here as Robotech. Neither are the other two shows that went into Macek's monster.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 02:55:38 pm by RedTail »

ultimateemail5000

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 03:23:30 pm »
Wait DT has Little Nemo, as in the dream master? I freaking loved that movie when I was younger, I'd like to see it again. Does it remain with the dub or is it just subbed? Sorry to be off Lupin topic I just couldn't resist.

RedTail

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2012, 05:23:53 pm »
Wait DT has Little Nemo, as in the dream master? I freaking loved that movie when I was younger, I'd like to see it again. Does it remain with the dub or is it just subbed? Sorry to be off Lupin topic I just couldn't resist.

Dub-only, man. Goes for around $11 at most places. Try searching "Adventures in Slumberland."

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2012, 05:35:32 pm »

Dub-only, man. Goes for around $11 at most places. Try searching "Adventures in Slumberland."

At one point during the mid-to-late 2000s (when the license was in the limbo between US distributors) the disc was out of print and going for 5 times or more that price.
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2012, 07:21:46 pm »
RedTail:
Ah yes, and that makes them special because everybody else is just out to purposely flush away money by buying shows no one wants!

Well, not everyone. They're on my favorite anime licensor list, along with Sentai and Right Stuf. But that would be the gist of the what happened during the anime bubble, yes.

Can you honestly say you're psyched to get your hands on stuff like Unico or Little Nemo, Gatsu? How 'bout that all-time classic D.N. Angel?

I never saw Unico, and I was ok w/ Little Nemo. And I never saw D.N. Angel, or cared for it. But there was an audience for the latter, and if it helps them pay the bills for that recent Getter Robo license, I don't care, either way.

Edit: Just a little comment about Unico, Nemo, and the other children's titles DT has. I don't think you and I are really the intended audience for them, and I'm sure DT's plan to sell them to parents for children.

Possibly, but there are a lot of people who did grow up on Unico and Nemo, so it means as much to them as it does to potential younger viewers. If DT really just wanted the child market, it would've gotten Hello Kitty like Animeigo.

They know a lot of this stuff won't sell all that well if they charge the $25-30 that most other companies would.

I'm sure it'd sell. Friggin' Madoka sells on bullshit hype alone, and who the hell cares about it? DT just charges cheap, because it's so old that it would not make sense to sell it at full MSRP. Plus, Nemo is still in stock a lot of places and on Hulu, so it wouldn't really make sense to sell it significantly higher, unless they got an SE. Panda Go Panda, though, is a good deal, considering the prices they charge for the used Geneon copies. And it will probably benefit immensely from Grave of the Fireflies' re-release, more Ghibli coming to R1 BD, and the Sean Lennon name-drop of the former.

If FUNi can tap into even a fraction of those two mil, let's say one-twentieth (5%), that's still 100,000 units, which is a REALLY freakin' big deal in the anime industry where 5,000 units is the typical break-even point.

Yeah, but their money went into producing ME, so they're already at a loss. Samurai Pizza Cats, OTOH, will be sold twice, so it's a guaranteed money-maker.

A good deal of people remember SPC very fondly, but that show isn't going to sell anywhere near 100,000 units.

Well, it's like you noted. Even if there are more SPC hipsters than actual buyers, it'll at least do well with kids.

I'm sorry, but that subbed set just ain't gonna sell. People who grew up watching SPC are overwhelmingly gonna want to watch the version they grew up with. It's sorta the same kinda thing with Macross/Robotech.

Voltron and GoLion did alright. Plus, the whole "Saban destroyed the Japanese prints" meme will work in favor of the subbed SPC, because Saban was already notorious for dumbing down Japanese entertainment. So people who couldn't get copies of the original show will want to know what they missed. 

It's sorta the same kinda thing with Macross/Robotech. I like Macross, but it's never going to be as popular here as Robotech. Neither are the other two shows that went into Macek's monster.

Macross underperformed, because it was effing expensive, like most Animeigo boxset releases. And by the time ADV got Macross, the market for older anime briefly declined.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:24:06 pm by GATSU »

RedTail

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2012, 08:00:12 pm »
Well, not everyone. They're on my favorite anime licensor list, along with Sentai and Right Stuf. But that would be the gist of the what happened during the anime bubble, yes.

Most of those shows nobody wanted were part of big expensive package deals that were quite rampant in those days.

"You want this show? Fine. But you're also going to take this one, this one, and this one too."

Distributors went along with this hoping that the show they really wanted would sell enough copies, not only to turn a profit, but also cover the expenses on the other properties if they underperformed. More often than not, it just didn't work out that way. I think, or at least hope, there's a whole lot less of that going on nowadays.

I never saw Unico, and I was ok w/ Little Nemo. And I never saw D.N. Angel, or cared for it. But there was an audience for the latter, and if it helps them pay the bills for that recent Getter Robo license, I don't care, either way.

Yeah, I'm sure there is SOME audience for all these titles. It's not HUGE though.

Possibly, but there are a lot of people who did grow up on Unico and Nemo, so it means as much to them as it does to potential younger viewers. If DT really just wanted the child market, it would've gotten Hello Kitty like Animeigo.

Yeah, I'm sure they're trying to reach out to some of these people who saw these films as kids, but they're not big titles. In fact, I'm pretty sure Nemo was a flop in theaters.

I'm sure it'd sell. Friggin' Madoka sells on bullshit hype alone, and who the hell cares about it?

Because it's new...and actually good? Magical girl shows really aren't my thing, but when I see guys who worship at the altar of Kawajiri heaping praise on it along with every other major anime news site, I gotta figure there's actually something to it all more than just mere "bullshit hype."

DT just charges cheap, because it's so old that it would not make sense to sell it at full MSRP.

REED! REED! Get a load of this! ^^^^^^^^

You just made my point for me. Old animation does not sell very well compared to new animation. What's it been, like four or five years now that we been arguing this? And NOW you finally agree with me?!

HALLELUJAH! GATSU HAS SEEN THE LIGHT!

I don't think I even wanna continue now. The crazy guy has finally made sense for once in his life, so let's just end this on a high note. WOOOO!

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2012, 08:37:52 pm »
RedTail:
In fact, I'm pretty sure Nemo was a flop in theaters.

Nemo was a flop in theaters because it was based off an old-ass comic which wasn't even in print here anymore. It was the TinTin movie of the 90s. But the home video sales were alright, and people did play the video game.

Because it's new...and actually good?

The latter's debatable. Still waiting for shit to happen halfway through the show.

You just made my point for me. Old animation does not sell very well compared to new animation. What's it been, like four or five years now that we been arguing this?

Well, yes, and no. People won't necessarily pay $600 for a boxset of older anime like they might for those Fate/Zero and Sinners anime, but that doesn't meant there isn't a market for the former, or that it does not sell as well for itself. The fact that Animeigo got pre-orders for KOR, UY, and Macross, and that DMP was able to fulfill its Kickstarter for Tezuka's Barbara,  suggests otherwise.  But obviously, there are just not as many people aware of certain older anime as there might have been for the newer stuff, which is why WOM has had to play a big part in DT's sales. [In fact, I remember when Justin Sevakis was saying that the streams of Zeta Gundam and Nobody's Boy Remi had some of the biggest views on ANN. So, really, it's about building awareness, which is what companies didn't do more of during the bubble.] The difference, though, is that people end up being burned when they find out that shows like Sinners and Madoka are gonna be streamed by Aniplex, which might turn them off from making future purchases with AP. OTOH, people are satisfied with actually owning DT discs, regardless of whether or not TMS will upload the content online in the near future. And that helps expand DT's audience for its product. Why? Because Aniplex's anime is disposable, while DT likes to bring over keepers. That's also why Sentai was able to make money off of Raoh and the new Golgo, because there are big fanbases for the original properties who want to get their hands on the newer adaptations. That's the real pay-off for DT and TMS down the line.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:47:43 pm by GATSU »

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 02:10:24 pm »
I hope they get Alcatraz Connection.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2012, 02:37:53 am »

I really enjoyed the opening sequence of that Special, but I couldn't tell you a single other thing that happens in it.
-R. Nelson

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2012, 03:06:28 am »

I really enjoyed the opening sequence of that Special, but I couldn't tell you a single other thing that happens in it.
There's a mention of JFK.
.....................................................That's all I got.

RedDoodle

• [Member]
  • Bring me some HAMBEARGUUUEARSSS
    • Art stuff
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2012, 10:41:30 am »

There's a mention of JFK.
.....................................................That's all I got.

I think it's the one where...
Lupin gets shot in the head but.. doesn't die..
and then Zenigata is all "you're not really dead, what are you up to"
and then they team up for some reason..
oh, and Lupin hijacks a cable car.

And that's all I remember. 

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2012, 12:13:35 pm »
Come on, Alcatraz Connection is one of my favorites!

An underground city for criminals! An organization of 7 master criminals! Lupin and Jigen in an out of control trolley!

Beats the hell out of... what was the last special about? A ninja dog biting Lupin on the ass every two minutes? No, that was the one before last. Either way. 

I hope they also get The Hemingway Papers.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2012, 12:45:55 pm »

An underground city for criminals! An organization of 7 master criminals! Lupin and Jigen in an out of control trolley!

Beats the hell out of... what was the last special about? A ninja dog biting Lupin on the ass every two minutes? No, that was the one before last. Either way. 

Maybe it's better than The Last Job, but it's no In Memory of the Walther P38. But, then, what is?
-R. Nelson

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2012, 05:48:19 pm »

The problem with Alcatraz Connection is that it's a really great concept, but it's unfortunately poorly executed. It just seems very random at times and switches around too quickly.

Hemingway Papers though, FANTASTIC! I love the 1989-1993 Specials.