Author Topic: Episode 2: ".357 Magnum" Official Thread  (Read 63433 times)

hardware

• Part of the Gang
    • BryanRollins.com
Re: Episode 2: ".357 Magnum" Official Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 06:28:43 pm »
I also noticed how the church theme in this episode was like Cowboy Bebop. Its like they're making references of it in this series.

Heroic bloodshed movies, damn it!  >:(

lol. thank you. cowboy bebop didn't invent the wheel
just about every episode in that series is a movie reference

do some of you cats just not even look at the movies and books that the creators are referencing?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:32:58 pm by hardware »
my upcoming comic: http://mgrnts.tumblr.com/

ultimateemail5000

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 07:05:38 pm »
Well I don't usually watch action movies unless it's James Bond. Not really a fan of them unless it's supposed to be funny.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 10:55:45 pm »
Watched the Raw. Fantastic episode, Jigen was a total bad ass. I'm happy that he didn't fall for Fujiko's BS. That scene with the knife was fantastic. I need a GIF of that.

Also, Kobayashi was stellar. After watching the 2012 OVA short, I was afraid that he was going to sound off. Because in said OVA, Kobayashi sounded downright old. But I don't think he was trying, perhaps because of the short nature of it. Because in this episode he is downright perfect. I'm so glad he's still Jigen, he really plays the role to a tee. Just like Kurita, he proves what a great seiyuu he is by adjusting his style properly for this version of Jigen.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 11:01:26 pm »
I also noticed how the church theme in this episode was like Cowboy Bebop. Its like they're making references of it in this series.

Heroic bloodshed movies, damn it!  >:(

lol. thank you. cowboy bebop didn't invent the wheel
just about every episode in that series is a movie reference

do some of you cats just not even look at the movies and books that the creators are referencing?

What are you talking about? Anime is totally original and made in a vacuum.

On a more serious note, the director of Bebop, Shinichiro Watanabe, is music producer for this series. That might...I repeat: might...have had an impact on that scene. Maybe. Don't know for sure.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:01:55 pm by Lupin the Third »
-R. Nelson

majinbulgeta

• ICPO
  • [Member]
  • "A black gem...what I really wanted to protect"
    • majinbulgeta on Deviantart
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 11:04:45 pm »
New closing credits. I don't care for the style they're drawn in. They look too "animesque".

Yeah, like there was this one shot of her in the new credits that made her head look slightly bigger than the rest of her body in that artstyle.
That's exactly what I said when I saw it! I'm pretty sure they were presenting her as a young girl but the proportions were just all wrong. Do they use a different artist for the credits than for the actual episode you think?

Anyway, I really enjoyed the episode! Definitely need a subbed version before I do an in depth analysis, however, Jigen was the Jigen I hoped they would write him as; silently swag, distrusting of women, hardcore skill and the women who love him die. He appeared to still be the romantic type without going OOC. I really liked what I saw but I'm in definite need of subs now!

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 11:06:57 pm »
Jigen was the Jigen I hoped they would write him as; silently swag, distrusting of women, hardcore skill and the women who love him die.
I also liked how he had no hesitation when killing women. I hate when male characters don't want to kill women who are trying to kill them.

majinbulgeta

• ICPO
  • [Member]
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 11:12:37 pm »
Jigen was the Jigen I hoped they would write him as; silently swag, distrusting of women, hardcore skill and the women who love him die.
I also liked how he had no hesitation when killing women. I hate when male characters don't want to kill women who are trying to kill them.
Absolutely! I can't stand it either.

ultimateemail5000

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 11:24:36 pm »
That's true, it shows how much of a badass Jigen really is. Lupin would never kill a woman, it took James Bond like 19 movies to kill a woman. This episode opened a lot of doors for Jigen and I hope we see more of it.

I also agree with Gozar again how the actor for Jigen stayed in this role. It would be hard to hear somebody else playing his part. I think the actor being older fits Jigen well because he is more of the kicked back character, and the only last of the original cast since the green jacket series. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not counting Fuma or Lupins replacement since Dead or Alive.

This episode kicks ass and is way better than the first one. They're doing such a great job.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2012, 11:30:40 pm »
and the only last of the original cast since the green jacket series. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not counting Fuma or Lupins replacement since Dead or Alive.
You're correct. Kobayashi has played Jigen in EVERY animated Lupin installment (aside from Fuma). Even the original Pilot. Though I must correct you about Lupin. Kurita started playing Lupin in 1995 with Nostradamus and Harimao's Treasure.

Edit: Can anyone translate the credits or know who played the side characters in this episode? A voice or two sounded familiar.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:35:45 pm by Gozar »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2012, 11:41:47 pm »
Oh man, I just looked through the side characters for Ep 2 the site Gallery. There was a guy named "Maccherone?" Oh man. I know it's just the Italian spelling of "macaroni," but surely that's a nod to the antagonists from the old live-action movie. Surely.

Also of note: the Gallery pieces from episode two make a change partway through. Most of the art says "LUPIN the 3rd (Working)" in the title. But the later ones for Episode 2 say "FUJIKO ~LUPIN the 3rd spin off~." We kind of knew this was the case based on the naming conventions they chose, but this cements it. This isn't "Lupin the Third." This is a variant of "Lupin the Third," NOT the mainline franchise. If it weren't for all the nudity, I'd be kinda bummed about that fact.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:45:32 pm by Lupin the Third »
-R. Nelson

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 12:00:28 am »
Also of note: the Gallery pieces from episode two make a change partway through. Most of the art says "LUPIN the 3rd (Working)" in the title. But the later ones for Episode 2 say "FUJIKO ~LUPIN the 3rd spin off~." We kind of knew this was the case based on the naming conventions they chose, but this cements it. This isn't "Lupin the Third." This is a variant of "Lupin the Third," NOT the mainline franchise. If it weren't for all the nudity, I'd be kinda bummed about that fact.
Honestly, it makes no difference to me. In my mind, almost every single Lupin series/feature is a spinoff in its own way. Nothing ever really flows too well and there's little to no consistency. It's all the same to me.

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 12:35:41 am »
That's true, it shows how much of a badass Jigen really is. Lupin would never kill a woman, it took James Bond like 19 movies to kill a woman.

Bond kills a woman in the fourth movie, Thunderball. Well, really, some guy shoots and he puts the woman in front of him and the bullet hits her instead, but she's still dead.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:36:29 am by penguintruth »

majinbulgeta

• ICPO
  • [Member]
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 01:23:35 am »
In my mind, almost every single Lupin series/feature is a spinoff in its own way.

Considering every series/movie/special of Lupin released is really nothing like the manga, the anime franchise as a whole is just spin-offs within a spin-off I think.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:26:21 am by majinbulgeta »

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 01:28:34 am »
In my mind, almost every single Lupin series/feature is a spinoff in its own way.

Considering every series/movie/special of Lupin released is really nothing like the manga, the anime franchise as a whole is just spin-offs within a spin-off I think.
Very true. Not to mention, almost no one considers stuff like the Lupin III Y Manga into any equation despite the fact that Monkey Punch himself worked on it.

garrisonp

• [Member]
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 03:53:21 am »
I watch the episode on you tube. Lot of talking, difficult to understand without subtitles, but...is only 13 minutes long? Why so brief?