Author Topic: Future of TV specials?  (Read 4733 times)

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
  • Fujiko is super hot, Lupin is uber cool
    • My profile on MyAnimeList.net (including Lupin reviews!)
Future of TV specials?
« on: April 12, 2012, 11:13:07 pm »
So, what do you think about the future of Lupin TV specials after Lupin III: A Woman Named Fujiko Mine? Do you think we'll see more risque adult oriented specials influenced by the show, or any influence from the show in general? Or do you think the specials will continue the same as ever?

Either way is cool with me, I've really liked most of the specials, but after so many a bit of a shake-up would be cool too. Also, has anybody at TMS ever talked about the process of the specials? I wonder how these projects come together, how script ideas are suggested, etc. And does anybody know if the current TV series has any staff in common with the TV specials? I would't mind seeing Satoshi Hirayama work on some more Lupin, that guy did the character designs and some other animation stuff for most of the TV specials of the past 10 to 15 years.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
Re: Future of TV specials?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 11:21:40 pm »
This is indeed an interesting question. Personally I like the aspect of "Fujiko Mine" being a standalone. I wouldn't want every single future Lupin endeavor to take on this tone for the sole reason of myself enjoying the comedy in Lupin as well. "Fujiko Mine" seems to have very little focus on comedy, if any at all.

However, if they really wanted to continue this tone, I wouldn't be opposed to them doing this year's special like the new series. 2012 could be the darker toned year. Perhaps if that leave Episode 13 on a cliffhanger, a TV Special could work as a sequel/true finale. But in 2013 I would prefer a return to a lighter tone, just with more focus on the writing. Personally I thought Eternal Mermaid was a pretty good start for that.

Jackson_H

• Part of the Gang
    • BehindtheVoiceActors
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 11:27:20 pm »
I was thinking about this too recently.  ;)

The reception so far seems to be positive so there is a good chance fans could get more risque adult oriented content in the future, however I don't see TMS completely alienating their family friendly Lupin III audience so I'm going to predict we'll still get more of that type of Lupin.

To convince TMS that there should be more adult Lupin, the DVD/BD sales of Fujiko Mine would need strong numbers.

As I'm sure we all know, plenty of anime never get more content because of low sales

I actually think a new Lupin III movie targeting the Fujiko series audience is more likely than a TV Special.

It's been a while since there was a theatrical feature; with a new cast and reboot, it seems like good timing.

Plus the other Lupin TV series had a movie to accompany them.

Green Jacket (Part 1) - Cagliostro
Red Jacket (Part 2) - Mamo
Pink Jacket (Part 3) - Babylon
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:34:40 pm by Jackson_H »

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 11:29:47 pm »
I'd definitely love another theatrical movie, that'd be excellent.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 11:35:09 pm »
Agreed. But they need to go back to strong writing. The '95 and '96 Movies were so weak.

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 11:42:45 pm »
Agreed. But they need to go back to strong writing. The '95 and '96 Movies were so weak.

I do like those ones myself, especially Nostradamus I find a lotta fun, but we can all agree another theatrical flick would be aces.  8)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:43:13 pm by Psycho_Kenshin »

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 01:33:37 am »
I'd like to see the TV specials continue with more light-hearted/comical stories using the second series character designs and Yuji Ohno's music. But I would also love to see this series' interpretation continue in some capacity, whether through films, OVAs, or more episodes down the line. There's room for both "family-friendly" and "mature audiences" Lupin material in the world!

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 08:15:44 am »
It's possible they'd consider both general and specialty markets, and put out the risque stuff when they come up with new ideas.

ultimateemail5000

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 02:41:14 pm »
A new theatrical movie would be so great. Especially if the series doesn't wrap up with the gang coming together, the movie could tackle that and bring all of the characters together, and we could see maybe Zenigata snap and come to reason that Lupin would be harder to catch than he thought.

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 03:23:33 pm »

I can see Nostradamus being weak, but Dead or Alive? That was effing awesome.

Still, I think if they're going to do more theatrical films, they should pull out all the stops. It has to be BIG and it has to be written by the best. Get Keiko Nobumoto to write it and Shinichiro Watanabe to direct.

As far as the TV specials, maybe they don't have to do them EVERY year. Instead of making one weak special after another, TMS needs to pool their resources and try to do really excellent ones maybe every other year instead.

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 03:36:43 pm »
As far as the TV specials, maybe they don't have to do them EVERY year. Instead of making one weak special after another, TMS needs to pool their resources and try to do really excellent ones maybe every other year instead.

It might seem that way, but a year for a TV special is more than enough time I'd say. They've often done several really good ones in a row, and then sometimes not. Taking more time before they start another one wouldn't necessarily mean a better finished thing.

Pretty much, I'm more of the Lupin all the time school of thought, throw enough Lupins at a dartboard and we'll have more hits than misses I think.  ;D

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 09:57:02 pm »
To me, that Movie is one of the worst when it comes to trying to make you care about characters that you don't really care about. There's not enough focus on the Main 5 or the heist. The movie tries to hard to be a normal movie rather than a Lupin III Movie.

mauser91

• [Member]
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 02:28:07 pm »
I hope there will be a theatrical movie also !

If it was done, I wish the film is in black and white, like the Monkey Punch manga. When I watch movies like "Sin City" and "Persepolis", I think anything is possible.

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 03:13:41 pm »
To me, that Movie is one of the worst when it comes to trying to make you care about characters that you don't really care about. There's not enough focus on the Main 5 or the heist. The movie tries to hard to be a normal movie rather than a Lupin III Movie.

It's true that there isn't enough focus on them, but I don't think it means there wasn't good writing. I think rather the opposite. Maybe it hasn't the best plot that a Lupin movie has had, but the writing makes it a good movie.

What do you mean when you say it tries to be a normal movie so hard?

Lupin34

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 12:57:27 am »
A new theatrical film would be great, especially if they kept that subtle balance of humour, action and great adult story telling. We don't want to as many kids seeing adult orientated Lupin as there were who went to see Ted  :D