Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE:Discotek licenses "Mamo," plans to include all 4 English dubs!  (Read 25880 times)

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
Yes please! I want all four dubs. Awesomesauce.

Has any foreign production or anime had this many English dubs?

On top of that, does anyone know if Lupin holds the prize for the most dub actors and dubbing teams playing the same characters in a single language?

Mamo actually holds the place as having the...second amount of most english dubs of all time. Dragon Ball beats it out by having 6 different ones.

He may hold that second prize though for sure.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 12:06:32 am by victorystar »

FilmmakerJ

On top of that, does anyone know if Lupin holds the prize for the most dub actors and dubbing teams playing the same characters in a single language?

Mamo actually holds the place as having the...second amount of most english dubs of all time. Dragon Ball beats it out by having 6 different ones.

Thanks for the info.  :)  I'm surprised someone has researched that sort of thing. Never enough recognition for anime you know. I actually didn't know there was more than 3 dubs for Dragonball.

victorystar

• Part of the Gang

Thanks for the info.  :)  I'm surprised someone has researched that sort of thing. Never enough recognition for anime you know. I actually didn't know there was more than 3 dubs for Dragonball.

Glad I could help! And while we're here actually I was wrong about it having the second amount of most dubs of all time. It's actually 3rd. The Dragon Ball movie "Tree of Might" has five.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DuelingDubs

You can find my source here.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Whoa whoa, victorystar. Let's compare apples with apples. Those "6 dubs" are for Dragon Ball the series, not a film. And not even all of those were completed. And even though Dragon Ball certainly has "Lupin" beat in numbers of casts (and especially when adding its sequel series), but Lupin's no slouch, with 6 distinct dub casts (and 7, if you count Streamline's recast of Goemon for "Mamo"):

Funimation, Pioneer-Geneon-Phuuz, Manga UK, AnimEigo, Toho, Streamline Pictures

And there's bound to be a 7th unique cast, should "Fujiko" get licensed for home video.

Also, Mamo's dubs are all uncut. "Tree of Might" has a fifth dub, but it's edited for television. Like the TVTropes Dragon Ball defender posted, the TV version could be argued to be a hackjob. It's a dub, but it's incomplete. I would argue that Mamo and Tree of Might are tied, with an alternate version of the film in the wild. So I would argue that they're tied. But I'm sure an ardent Dragon Ball fan would disagree with me.
-R. Nelson

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
Whoa whoa, victorystar. Let's compare apples with apples. Those "6 dubs" are for Dragon Ball the series, not a film. And not even all of those were completed. And even though Dragon Ball certainly has "Lupin" beat in numbers of casts (and especially when adding its sequel series), but Lupin's no slouch, with 6 distinct dub casts (and 7, if you count Streamline's recast of Goemon for "Mamo"):

Funimation, Pioneer-Geneon-Phuuz, Manga UK, AnimEigo, Toho, Streamline Pictures

And there's bound to be a 7th unique cast, should "Fujiko" get licensed for home video.

Also, Mamo's dubs are all uncut. "Tree of Might" has a fifth dub, but it's edited for television. Like the TVTropes Dragon Ball defender posted, the TV version could be argued to be a hackjob. It's a dub, but it's incomplete. I would argue that Mamo and Tree of Might are tied, with an alternate version of the film in the wild. So I would argue that they're tied. But I'm sure an ardent Dragon Ball fan would disagree with me.

Sorry I didn't know we were talking about in terms of movies. I'm a way bigger Lupin fan than DB even though I love both so I wasn't trying to make it that DB beat Lupin in number of dubs. I was just trying to give out the cold hard facts I knew so FilmmakerJ would be better informed on this. My bad.

Fujikogirl23

• The Curiously Curious
  • Part of the Gang
  • "My head is full of ideas, that's why I'm crazy!"
*Reads title of thread*

GASPS! alkfdlkanlakdgnalkdgn;a..... !!!!!

I HAVE TO BUY THIS!!!!! O_O This is my ultimate favorite Lupin movie and I've been longing to have a copy of the Geneon release for the longest time, but I would have never imagined in my whole entire lifetime that this movie would ever get a re-release like this: to include all 4 English dubs?!

Thank you, Discotek! I officially love you guys even more than ever. :'D

BEST. NEWS. EVEEEEEEEEER! ^_^

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Fujiko: You didn't get the Geneon one when it came out? It's been in print, or at least cheaply available used, for a while now.

FilmmakerJ

Fujiko: You didn't get the Geneon one when it came out? It's been in print, or at least cheaply available used, for a while now.

Well I bought mine late in 2010. It's almost completely out of print now unless you can find it on a lesser known dvd or garage sale type site.

However, Ebay does have a few dozen copies of the UK print of the film, which I bought, and it has the Geneon dub. Which is bad for me cause I thought I was getting the UK dub, but (it was) good for you in case you wanted that version. And you can play it on your computer with VLC player if you have the right drivers I believe.

Now, thank goodness, we won't have to deal with all that anymore. For the second time I've ever seen it done, we are getting something with more than one English produced dub. The only other time I know this has been done is with the recent re-release of the Dirty Pair movies, where they had the original Streamline and ADV dubs. So that was kinda cool. Now to have a movie with four English dubs, one of which is the UK dub, that's gotta be unprecidented. Cause only us die-hard fans would care to watch a movie four times to hear all four casts of actors.  :P ;D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 04:27:48 pm by FilmmakerJ »

Fujikogirl23

• The Curiously Curious
  • Part of the Gang
  • "My head is full of ideas, that's why I'm crazy!"

lol, I know. But you have to understand when I first got into Lupin III, I was in my young to mid teens (started at 14). So trying to convince my parents into buying it at the time.... yeeahhh... I had to wait until I was older to buy it. Unfortunely, as you all know, Geneon crashed by then right when I turned 17 and the rest is sadly history. But now, I'm not even going to worry about it anymore due to the awesome news we just got. I mean, it's ALL 4 DUBS! That's even better in my book and I can't wait 'til 2013! ^_^

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
victorystar: sorry if I was rude, just wanted to give another perspective to the situation.

Something people should keep in mind is that the Geneon "Mamo" DVD does have certain minor perks over the upcoming Discotek one:
- Pioneer dub with 5.1 DD audio (there's just no way this track is gonna fit on the disc along with the 2.0 Pioneer, 2.0 Streamline and the dual-channel-mono Manga UK, Toho, and Japanese streams)
- "Magic" Lupin keychain (it's giving away physical goodies like these that were the big blessing of the "big anime boom"; those days are long gone)
- Physical English program booklet (if we can, we'll put both booklet scans and the original booklet translation on the disc; failing that, the text will be included as a digital extra)

On the plus side, barring anything unexpected, the Discotek DVD should be completely uncut (no weird digital logo recoloring or missing "DC Comics/Clark Bar" ads).
-R. Nelson

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
victorystar: sorry if I was rude, just wanted to give another perspective to the situation.

Something people should keep in mind is that the Geneon "Mamo" DVD does have certain minor perks over the upcoming Discotek one:

It's fine, I just wanted to make sure my side on the whole argument was clear too.

Also the fact that it will be missing the Pioneer dub with 5.1 sound is all the more reason I hope we get a Blu Ray version at all point with remastered video and all the audio tracks in the best quality available (this includes the 5.1 DD audio I might add) who knows the price increase that version may have could even mean we get some inserts with that version.  I don't expect to get a keychain though.

FilmmakerJ

It's fine, I just wanted to make sure my side on the whole argument was clear too.

Also the fact that it will be missing the Pioneer dub with 5.1 sound is all the more reason I hope we get a Blu Ray version at all point with remastered video and all the audio tracks in the best quality available (this includes the 5.1 DD audio I might add) who knows the price increase that version may have could even mean we get some inserts with that version.  I don't expect to get a keychain though.

I don't think a lot of us got a key-chain anyway, did we? I know I didn't when I bought my copy, brand-new, sealed, from a seller on Amazon selling a version he in-turn bought from Righstuf. I also never got a booklet in the Psychokinetic Strategy DVD, even though I did get on with the Mamo DVD. This is why we now have the SPS Liner notes and such available for digital download in the Discotek Release section.

I don't much care for a key-chain though, I can find tons of Lupin key-chains on Ebay. I'm much more interested in learning as much as possible about The Secret of Mamo itself; and maybe why there are visual references to Steven Spielberg's "Duel" and Stanley Kubrick's "2001 - A Space Odyssey?" They're minor references, sure, but I'm still curious as to why they are there.

FilmmakerJ

Funny thing now, is that "The Secret/Mystery of Mamo" is now the one movie I own the most copies of in my DVD/VHS/Blu-ray collection. I have 4.

Both a VHS and DVD copy of the Streamline version, and the Pioneer and UK versions, which both have the Pioneer/Geneon dub.

After I get this newest release, it will still be the one movie I own the most copies of. So hopefully later on I can rectify that by buying the French, Italian, and Japanese Blu-rays of Cagliostro or something like that.  ;D

Porchops

You know as psyched as I am for this release, I'm a little worried about how the video quality is going to turn out. The Japanese DVD was released by Toho and as we all know, Discotek likes to source their DVD video directly from the Japanese DVDs, so I'm afraid that the picture is going to have a yellow tint to it, as most Toho DVDs do. All the more reason to root for a Blu Ray release :)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Fujikogirl:
But you have to understand when I first got into Lupin III, I was in my young to mid teens (started at 14). So trying to convince my parents into buying it at the time.... yeeahhh... I had to wait until I was older to buy it.

Weird. I've seen more risque shit at 14. And Mamo's probably no worse than Naked Gun III on the mature content.

victorystar: Gotta support the DVD for the Blu-Ray to happen. But I'll be content with what I presume to be a remastered pic for DVD. Unless the commentary is really that worthwhile, of course.

Porchops: They usually put out HD prints for Blu-Ray and DVD releases.