Author Topic: FUNimation licenses "The Woman Called Fujiko Mine" (BD+DVD pack out Aug 20,'13)  (Read 96422 times)

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Update 2: As noted by several people, the set was bumped a bit: to August 20th. Thread subject has been changed to match.

Update 1: WTK reported on the ANN Forums FUNimation's July solicitations, and "Fujiko" was among them:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2911902
Lupin the Third - The Woman Called Fujiko Mine: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 325 minutes - $64.98 - 7/30/13
Lupin the Third - The Woman Called Fujiko Mine: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo LE) - 325 minutes - $69.98 - 7/30/13

Of course, the MSRP will be discounted by some degree at the vast majority of retailers. Also, we don't yet know what's included in the LE. I suspect an art booklet or some other physical goodie, as is the FUNimation tradition.

Original post follows:

From their Otakon 2012 panel.

LtT.com article: http://lupinthethird.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=95:funimation-acquires-home-video-rights-to-qfujiko-mineq-tv-series&catid=1:latest

Original ANN article: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-07-28/funi-adds-seikishi-yamato/r-one-piece/strong-world-fairy-tail-film-akira

Funimation also announced it has added the home entertainment and digital rights to the Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine television anime series. Funimation previously revealed it acquired the streaming rights to the series in April, and the company streamed the series as it aired in Japan.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:44:25 pm by Reed »
-R. Nelson

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
Woohoo! Crossing my fingers for Blu-Ray.

LadyLupin

• Part of the Gang
  • Lady Lupin Sansei
Blu-ray would be awesomesauce. I kind of already knew about this, but I kept it to myself until FUNi made their announcement to protect Sonny's job. FUNi is particular about things like that.

ultimateemail5000

• Part of the Gang
This is really great news. I stopped watching at episode 5 or 6 and can't wait to rewatch those episodes and beyond in the comfort of hearing language. I respect the Japanese dub but I'd rather just watch the show in English, even if Krillin will be Lupin. It's also cool this will be the first (maybe) dub we'll get of the show since 05.

FilmmakerJ

This is really great news. I stopped watching at episode 5 or 6 and can't wait to rewatch those episodes and beyond in the comfort of hearing language. I respect the Japanese dub but I'd rather just watch the show in English, even if Krillin will be Lupin. It's also cool this will be the first (maybe) dub we'll get of the show since 05.

You are aware Sonny played Lupin 10 previous times for FUNi, right?
I just thought since you referred to him as Krillin, maybe you hadn't seen those movies.

FilmmakerJ

Honestly, I would rather they try out a different FUNimation alumnus than go right to Sonny Strait again. He performed quite well in those previous performances, and I don't think I could see anyone else playing those particular Lupins; but this Lupin is just way too different for his interpretation of the character.

In fact, I don't think any of the previous 7 Lupin voice actors quite fit the bill. This Lupin is much skinnier, much more agile, more cocky, and a tad more wacky and high-pitched; at least in that 1st episode. Sonny is meant for the slightly more sympathetic, butterball (just look at Harimao), strong, moralistic Lupin. His Lupin was more on the Cagliostro side than this Lupin is.

Then again, I guess it's because I got used to Kurita's voice this time that I feel it makes the most sense to imitate his performance but with English words, and that isn't always the way to go. So if Sonny is going to put on the jacket once more, just in a different color, then I'll be okay with that.

The real question is, who's going to play Fujiko?

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
We all knew it was inevitable that Funimation was going to pick up the show I just didn't expect to hear about it so fast.

Also I'm calling this : The cast they choose for the Lupin regulars in this show will be the same exact ones they used for the specials. Well maybe they'll get a new Zenigata because of episode 5 but for the most part I'm expecting the same exact cast.

FilmmakerJ

We all knew it was inevitable that Funimation was going to pick up the show I just didn't expect to hear about it so fast.

Also I'm calling this : The cast they choose for the Lupin regulars in this show will be the same exact ones they used for the specials. Well maybe they'll get a new Zenigata because of episode 5 but for the most part I'm expecting the same exact cast.

Okay No. I'm sorry, but they cannot use the same actress they used for Fujiko in the Specials. That actress sounded so reserved and, well...she still was sexy, in fact very sexy, just not quite in same spectrum for this interpretation. Plus she's much younger right, in comparison. I don't mean to be rude, but that would ruin it all for me if they had her come back. They have plenty of other fine actresses to play Fujiko in this series.

Just please FUNimation, don't be lazy and just pick the obvious; that kind of decision making usually never leads to anything good.

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
I thought she was a great Fujiko   :( Not as good as the Geneon one sure but still great. We'll just have to wait and see if she gets chosen for the role again or not.

ultimateemail5000

• Part of the Gang

You are aware Sonny played Lupin 10 previous times for FUNi, right?
I just thought since you referred to him as Krillin, maybe you hadn't seen those movies.

I used to own them and didn't care much about them. The only voices I liked were Jigen, Goemon, and Zenigata. The dubs just weren't spectacular. I didn't even care for them in Japanese either, the style in them was way too anime, or the plots weren't good enough for my taste. They tried too hard to mimic the Geneon dub. But Sonys VA has improved over the years so if he still is Lupin, I'd like to hear how he will voice him. But I still just hear Krillin. I'd prefer it if they had the voice of Android 17/Shin-Chans Dad be Lupin.

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
    • Hardocre Gamer Magzine - free download
I'd be fine with Sonny as Lupin for the series, but I really hope they get Michelle Ruff for Fujiko - she's the best English VA for the character that I've heard.

LadyLupin

• Part of the Gang
  • Lady Lupin Sansei
I think Sonny will most likely be Lupin. He hasn't officially announced it, but he's hinted.that he is. As far Meredith McCoy, I have no idea if she will be Fujiko. She did return for FMA Brotherhood, but doesn't voice act much anymore. The fact that they recast her roles in DBZ Kai might indicate that's very possible for this series.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:09:14 am by LadyLupin »

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
Ugh. I cannot stand Sonny Strait's Lupin or Meredith McCoy's Fujiko. And I like them as voice actors. They're just awful in these roles. Strait's Lupin sounds too much like a nerd, a goober. There's no element of "cool" to him, or even snarkiness. McCoy's Fujiko sounds way too masculine for somebody so sexy. Hell, she sounds more like a man than Lupin does.

It's funny because Lupin is Strait's favorite role, but he sucks so incredibly at it.

Oh well. There's always the Japanese version. Hopefully we'll be getting it on Blu-Ray, too.

Personally, as somebody who was at Otakon and attended the Funimation panel, I thought it was kind of a waste of time announcing it. They already had its license, it was just a matter of time before it had a home release. I was still happy about it (I cheered), but they should reserve convention panels for announcing entirely new licenses. They also wasted time on One Piece. But I guess when they had so little to announce, they had to fill up time. It still boggles me why they didn't get Penguindrum, but as this is a Lupin board, I'll refrain from ranting about that.

They tried too hard to mimic the Geneon dub.

I don't think they were going for that. I'm pretty sure Secret of Twilight Gemini, the first Funimation release of Lupin, came out before Pioneer/Geneon released their version of Part II.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:39:44 am by penguintruth »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
They tried too hard to mimic the Geneon dub.

I don't think they were going for that. I'm pretty sure Secret of Twilight Gemini, the first Funimation release of Lupin, came out before Pioneer/Geneon released their version of Part II.

True facts. Twilight Gemini landed on April 30, 2002 according to Amazon. Pursuit of Harimao's Treasure came out in September, 2002. Their third, Dragon of Doom, came out February 11, 2003, only a few weeks after the Pioneer/Geneon adaptation had debuted on Adult Swim (Jan. 13, 2003), meaning it must have been recorded before then. Besides, they didn't even pronounce "Lupin" the same way as Pioneer/Geneon's adaptation: "LOOP-in" vs. "LOOP-on" (basically "LOO-pawn," w/American-English accent). Not to mention "Jiggin'" as opposed to "JEE-gen" (both with hard "g"s).

FUNimation tried to give their dubs a sense of humor and even tap on the 4th wall at times, but this was (mostly) in keeping with the spirit of the Japanese dialogue.
-R. Nelson

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
Yeah, the scripts of the Funimation dubs were fairly good (more accurate than Geneon/Phuuz's), but the acting is what I have issue with.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:00:44 pm by penguintruth »