Author Topic: FUNimation licenses "The Woman Called Fujiko Mine" (BD+DVD pack out Aug 20,'13)  (Read 100626 times)

m-o

• [Member]
well, the truth is i never expected to read this, but of course it

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Yeah, the scripts of the Funimation dubs were fairly good (more accurate than Geneon/Phuuz's), but the acting is what I have issue with.

For me it's less the acting and more the casting. Sonny's not my favorite Lupin, but I can't fault him for his efforts. It doesn't help that he cannot escape his Krillin typecasting.
-R. Nelson

hardware

• Part of the Gang
    • BryanRollins.com
Yeah, the scripts of the Funimation dubs were fairly good (more accurate than Geneon/Phuuz's), but the acting is what I have issue with.

thats the huge problem with Funi. its a terrible shame.
you'd think they'd have gotten more and better VA's by now
my upcoming comic: http://mgrnts.tumblr.com/

FilmmakerJ

So who has the better VAs? I'm actually not even sure who the main Anime Distributors are anymore.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
So who has the better VAs? I'm actually not even sure who the main Anime Distributors are anymore.

Sentai Filmworks (neo-ADV) - Sometimes doesn't dub
FUNimation
Media Blasters - Only dubs a few shows
Discotek Media - Never dubs anything anew
There's probably one other I'm forgetting....
-R. Nelson

FilmmakerJ

I thought Rightstuf did their own dubs, along with distributing all the other released anime.

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
thats the huge problem with Funi. its a terrible shame.
you'd think they'd have gotten more and better VA's by now

Well, I think in general Funimation's dubs have improved in voice acting quality. In fact, even at the time they were dubbing Lupin stuff their dubs were pretty decent. Just not the Lupin ones.

Reed might have a point, though. It could very well be the casting that's the problem. But I recall plenty of just horrendous acting on the parts of certain characters.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:20:39 am by penguintruth »

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
Blu-ray would be awesomesauce. I kind of already knew about this, but I kept it to myself until FUNi made their announcement to protect Sonny's job. FUNi is particular about things like that.

Wait Sonny told you they picked up the show? Man you have some awesome connections!  :P But if that's true then it should be obvious who is going to be voicing him in this dub.

Can't wait to hear more of his awesome -not nerdy- Lupin voice then. I really don't think you guys would have this problem if you would stop hearing Krillin whenever he spoke. I love DBZ as much as anyone but I don't think Picollo when I hear Funi's Jigen...well at least not all the time. Just as you shouldn't with his Lupin.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:39:17 pm by victorystar »

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
No, when I hear his Jigen, I hear the generic Chris Sabat voice he uses for nearly everything.

My problem with Strait's Lupin has nothing to do with Kuririn and has everything to do with he just can't sound cool.

FilmmakerJ

Blu-ray would be awesomesauce. I kind of already knew about this, but I kept it to myself until FUNi made their announcement to protect Sonny's job. FUNi is particular about things like that.
Can't wait to hear more of his awesome -not nerdy- Lupin voice then. I really don't think you guys would have this problem if you would stop hearing Krillin whenever he spoke. I love DBZ as much as anyone but I don't think Picollo when I hear Funi's Jigen...well at least not all the time. Just as you shouldn't with his Lupin.
No, when I hear his Jigen, I hear the generic Chris Sabat voice he uses for nearly everything.

My problem with Strait's Lupin has nothing to do with Kuririn and has everything to do with he just can't sound cool.

That's the same with me. I've never watched Dragonball Z, so I no problem hearing anything other than Lupin. Although, I just looked at a few clips of Krillin, and both voices don't sound close enough to be annoying if I would have heard Krillin already. You guys probably grew up with DBZ, so I guess I can still see your issue.

Sonny Strait's Lupin is an okay version for the previous Specials. He's the 2nd best choice for a Lupin voice out of the 7 people who have played him in English. That I know for certain. However, he sounds too generic when he talks in his deeper voice, like when he's having a date with Fujiko at the beginning of "Columbus Files." He didn't sound like any sort of Lupin there; only after he dressed up as Fujiko and appeared in the mirror opposite her did he sound like Lupin. When he's all wild and crazy, he works as Lupin. When he talks in his deep, semi-normal voice (even though Lupin does talk like that sometimes) he just doesn't fit as well.

In the case of the "Fujiko Mine" series, I just don't believe he is the right choice for this particular incarnation of the Lupin character.

I've drawn many connections between Lupin the 3rd and the Dr. Who franchise; so I will use that as a way of making my point. Imagine if you will the least liked 6th Doctor, with the rainbow coat, and imagine casting the previous 3rd or 4th Doctor to play him. They are wildly different interpretations of the same character because the 6th doctor is a reborn version of the Doctor. So he now has a different combination of personality traits and facial features. The previous actors were good for playing their versions of the Doctor because of their voice, their manor and the personalities of their respective versions of the Doctor.

So in short: Sonny is an okay personal to play a Lupin, just not this Lupin.

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
That's the same with me. I've never watched Dragonball Z, so I no problem hearing anything other than Lupin. Although, I just looked at a few clips of Krillin, and both voices don't sound close enough to be annoying if I would have heard Krillin already. You guys probably grew up with DBZ, so I guess I can still see your issue.

I've never found Krillin's voice to be annoying either nor do I hear him when I hear Sonny's Lupin (well not enough that I'm thinking "OMG THAT'S KRILLIN!111!!!!) but enough people do that it's a problem for them.
In the case of the "Fujiko Mine" series, I just don't believe he is the right choice for this particular incarnation of the Lupin character.

I think I'm in a boat where Mine Fujiko is going to sound weird dubbed no matter who is doing the voices. I had this problem with Dead or Alive too. Just hearing English voices with that one movie was...unsettling. They just didn't feel like they fit that style or something.

I still have faith that the dub cast chosen will be great and play their roles the best they can but it's still going to be weird hearing this show in English either way.

FilmmakerJ

Anybody want to take a crack at guessing who will play Oscar?

Right now all I can see is the guy who played Shinji Ikari from "Neon Genesis Evangelion." But maybe that's cause I'm watching "2.22." Although, it's not a necessarily a bad choice.  :P

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
The guy who played Shinji Ikari in 2.22 (and in every Evangelion english dub so far) was Spike Spencer.

That said I don't think he'd be the best Oscar because his voice is too light and I'd want a voice close to the Japanese version which was pretty deep. I know that more than likely the voice we get for Oscar will be very girly but I just don't want that for some reason.

hardware

• Part of the Gang
    • BryanRollins.com

Sentai Filmworks (neo-ADV) - Sometimes doesn't dub
FUNimation
Media Blasters - Only dubs a few shows
Discotek Media - Never dubs anything anew
There's probably one other I'm forgetting....

Manga

I've never found Krillin's voice to be annoying either nor do I hear him when I hear Sonny's Lupin (well not enough that I'm thinking "OMG THAT'S KRILLIN!111!!!!) but enough people do that it's a problem for them.

i had a similar problem with Maes Hughes on FMA, but i got over that
my problem is with Jigen cause yeah i do just hear his generic ass voice
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:22:42 pm by hardware »
my upcoming comic: http://mgrnts.tumblr.com/

FilmmakerJ

The guy who played Shinji Ikari in 2.22 (and in every Evangelion english dub so far) was Spike Spencer.

That said I don't think he'd be the best Oscar because his voice is too light and I'd want a voice close to the Japanese version which was pretty deep. I know that more than likely the voice we get for Oscar will be very girly but I just don't want that for some reason.

I do believe I've heard multiple Eng VAs who could pull off an exact impersonation of the Japanese actor. There's no reason he shouldn't sound very similar. Sometimes you don't want to imitate the Japanese VA exactly, like in the case of Richard Moore from "Detective Conan," whom I think was much too deep and raspy originally. But in this case, I think having a Eng counterpart VA would be the better way to go to keep the personality there.