Author Topic: FUNimation licenses "The Woman Called Fujiko Mine" (BD+DVD pack out Aug 20,'13)  (Read 96424 times)

FilmmakerJ

Heh, I'm honestly surprised that FUNi is giving us more than just trailers. You also have to take into account that sometimes they are probably pretty limited on what they can do with extras because of their licensing deal.

Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine Cast Reunion (1.78:1; 1080p/24; 00:26:34)
Fujiko Mine at OkraTron 5000 (1.78:1; 1080p/24; 00:05:46)

These 2, especially the second one interest me the most. I'm assuming we will get to see them recording at Chris Sabat's recording studio  ;D

Well they had that cast reunion thing for "Panty and Stocking" too. So I wasn't so surprised with seeing this, because if anything, this is the one thing that they can easily put together themselves.

Would've been nice to include a feature or liner notes introducing newbs to the Lupin universe.  ::)

And to that I say, Reed already did that with the "Fuma Conspiracy" DVD. And even though having something like that on Every Lupin release would be a nice thing, I'm sure anyone who wants to learn more about Lupin can just do a wiki search. They don't need a Lupin bio or trivia section to help them out. Just about every description I've ever read of Lupin starts and ends the same way with the same descriptive vocabulary; and looking up how many movies and TV specials there are is fairly easy.

Besides, if I remember correctly, every single one of you got into Lupin because you either watched the Red Jacket series or Cagliostro, and you then went out on the internet to look up more about the franchise. So I don't think an included Lupin trivia section on a DVD would have made much difference for all of us. And it shouldn't make much difference for the newly interested fans out there now. That feeling of discovery is what makes Lupin all the more awesome anyway. 

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Filmmaker:
And to that I say, Reed already did that with the "Fuma Conspiracy" DVD.

Yes, but this would be for the first-time Lupin viewers who might help boost sales by buying the Discotek stuff.

I'm sure anyone who wants to learn more about Lupin can just do a wiki search.

But again, not everyone who's casually searching Wikipedia would know which films and specials are currently available here. FUNi's still clearly treating Lupin like a second-tier title, even if they're bothering putting in more effort on the dub and transfer.

Besides, if I remember correctly, every single one of you got into Lupin because you either watched the Red Jacket series or Cagliostro, and you then went out on the internet to look up more about the franchise.

Back then, we had a ML, though. And an official website. Not to mention box stores which prominently displayed Cagliostro.  :'(

And it shouldn't make much difference for the newly interested fans out there now.

Let's hope so. *sigh*

FilmmakerJ

Filmmaker:
And to that I say, Reed already did that with the "Fuma Conspiracy" DVD.

Yes, but this would be for the first-time Lupin viewers who might help boost sales by buying the Discotek stuff.

I'm sure anyone who wants to learn more about Lupin can just do a wiki search.

But again, not everyone who's casually searching Wikipedia would know which films and specials are currently available here. FUNi's still clearly treating Lupin like a second-tier title, even if they're bothering putting in more effort on the dub and transfer.

Besides, if I remember correctly, every single one of you got into Lupin because you either watched the Red Jacket series or Cagliostro, and you then went out on the internet to look up more about the franchise.

Back then, we had a ML, though. And an official website. Not to mention box stores which prominently displayed Cagliostro.  :'(

And it shouldn't make much difference for the newly interested fans out there now.

Let's hope so. *sigh*

Have you ever once read a Biography page about Clint Eastwood or somebody on one of those old DVDs from 2002? Cause if you have, well then that's great, but I just don't see a lot of other young anime fans doing that when there's so much better sources to find online these days.

Besides, even if FUNimation did put a biography section on Fujiko Mine, I don't think they'd mention what Lupin films have been released in the US, because most of them are out of print and very hard to buy right now. So on that note, it's pretty pointless. I bet most people don't even know Red Jacket is now on Hulu and the later episodes are now online as well.

Lupin is a very big and very difficult franchise to clock and keep track of. And so if you want anybody to get their information right, I'd rather just let the fans look things up at their leisure and figure it out for themselves.

The best thing you and Sprak and Reed, and who-ever-else can do is give these new fans a definitive place to go to look at what's existed thus far, what's coming, what's good, what's bad, what's easily available to buy and where to get it. Because I don't think there even is a definitive place with all of that information. And it really would be nice if there was such a place. But you're not gonna get all that from a panflet --because it can't be updated-- and you're not gonna get all that from a DVD special feature, because it too can't be updated or changed to reflect the times either.

sprak

• Cliff Hanger
    • Lupin III Encyclopedia
The best thing you and Sprak and Reed, and who-ever-else can do is give these new fans a definitive place to go to look at what's existed thus far, what's coming, what's good, what's bad, what's easily available to buy and where to get it. Because I don't think there even is a definitive place with all of that information.

Granted, I haven't updated the site too well for the most recent special (I still haven't watched it myself yet) and the Mine series; however, have you actually browsed my site here? I like to think I've done a decent job of capturing what's come out, including capturing VHS, LD, DVD releases as much as possible with links to RightStuf, etc. to buy them where applicable.

I'm in the process of redesigning the site to hopefully better expose this info., so pass along any ideas you might have on that score.  As for good/bad, I try to have a review up for most of the specials / films / OVAs.

Yes, tooting my own horn, but the information is already out there on my site and others.

FilmmakerJ

The best thing you and Sprak and Reed, and who-ever-else can do is give these new fans a definitive place to go to look at what's existed thus far, what's coming, what's good, what's bad, what's easily available to buy and where to get it. Because I don't think there even is a definitive place with all of that information.

Granted, I haven't updated the site too well for the most recent special (I still haven't watched it myself yet) and the Mine series; however, have you actually browsed my site here? I like to think I've done a decent job of capturing what's come out, including capturing VHS, LD, DVD releases as much as possible with links to RightStuf, etc. to buy them where applicable.

I'm in the process of redesigning the site to hopefully better expose this info., so pass along any ideas you might have on that score.  As for good/bad, I try to have a review up for most of the specials / films / OVAs.

Yes, tooting my own horn, but the information is already out there on my site and others.

It's true I haven't looked at the Encyclopedia in a while. Last I took a good look was 3 years ago.
I was actually certain that quite a bit of info was retained on the site even at that time, but I'm still concerned about all of the competing sources and reviews floating around out there that get certain details wrong due to multiple dubs and directors and voice actors being mixed up. And the fact that most of the Lupin movies are TV specials, while some are also OVAs; and you can't tell the difference right off the bat. Even I didn't know that "Return of the Magician" was an OVA. At least, I think that's the one that was, along with Fuma. lol

But I'm glad you're also planning on some redesigns, because I think what helps one site set itself apart from others is the design and the layout. There are certain sites that have become the definitive place to get info on a particular franchise. And so, however it happens, I think if the Lupin Encyclopedia isn't the definitive reference website, then it needs to become that for the sake of accurate historical details.

I'm very pleased to know you guys put in all of the effort that you do. So please keep these sites alive.  :)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
@AICNanime linked the latest trailer.

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
    • Hardocre Gamer Magzine - free download
Got this a couple of days ago and finally got a chance to watch it today. As expected, the VQ is awesome and I'm digging the English VO work. It will take a while to get used to Epcar as Zenigata though. The extras are minimal, but I loved the reunion bit. The recording video with Michelle is too short to really accomplish much.

Edit -
My review of the set is here -
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2013/08/26/review-lupin-the-third-the-woman-called-fujiko-mine/
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 11:27:20 pm by MGFanJay »

Mr.Lupin

• Old-school Superfan
Great review ,  my Blu Ray set arrives tomorrow almost a week earlier than expected.  Can't WaIT !!!

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
    • Hardocre Gamer Magzine - free download
I'm glad you liked the review - It's the first one I've done on an anime, and fortunately, I was able to capture some great Blu-Ray screens with my PS3.