Author Topic: Allow me to introduce myself  (Read 7068 times)

lupinIIImusic

• Part of the Gang
Allow me to introduce myself
« on: August 25, 2012, 03:11:18 pm »
Hello everyone!

My name is Pete, but my friends call me whatever they like. As may you.
I just joined these forums and figured that the best way to start would be to introduce myself. Hence this topic.

Who am I? I'm part of a group who recently started a new Youtube Channel dedicated to Lupin III related music. Don't worry; I'm not here to spam the forums with links to our channel. I'll keep it restricted to my signature and I promise not to post pointlessy just to promote my sig.
No, the main reason I'm here, other than to talk about and share my interest for Lupin III of course, is to scout for Lupin III music. Me and the other people behind our Youtube channel aim to get Lupin music of the highest quality and so we import Lupin soundtracks ourselves. However, we're not exactly rich, so we hope to find people willing to contribute. I should add that we're not just looking for official Lupin III music, but also fan made covers. As long as the quality is good, obviously.
So if anyone knows of any good fan covers or they want to contribute themselves, let me know!

But enough advertising. Let me talk about myself some more; that's much more interesting.
I came into contact with the Lupin III series after I watched the movie Spirited Away when I was younger. Which led to me watching every Hayao Miyazaki movie I could find. Which of course meant I watched The Castle of Cagliostro. Which gets us to Lupin III. I finished watching the Part I series a while back and am currently somewhere around episode 60 of the Part II series.
But what I like, possibly more than the episodes, is the music. I must've listened to the Lupin III theme song and all of its other versions a million times by now. Great stuff and naturally the reason why I started the Youtube channel.

As for other anime, I'm not a big fan. I love everything Studio Ghibli, but that's about it, though I'm not so stupid to write off anime as a whole. Occasionally I run into something I like, like Full Metal Alchemist. Still meaning to see Cowboy Bebop, as I heard it drew inspiration from Lupin III.

Anyway, I think I'll shut up now. This post is turning into a case of TL;DR. Glad to part of these forums!  ;D

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
Re: Allow me to introduce myself
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 04:58:44 pm »
Hey there Lupin The Music  :P. Great idea for a youtube page and I hope it grows the way you want and becomes really popular.

Maybe you could find Fuma Conspiracy's OST and get it on Youtube, I have all of the Yuji Ohno stuff I want but I can't find that. Anyways again good luck!

lupinIIImusic

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 06:53:49 pm »
Thank you!  :D

I did a quick online search and it indeed seems that the Fuma soundtrack is surprisingly difficult to find. This site agrees that it is "very, very rare !!": http://rupanmusic.pagesperso-orange.fr/cdsavant.htm
I'll definitely keep an eye out for that one.  :-\

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 08:46:20 pm »
Very nice YouTube channel you have there. Looking forward to your future uploads. Also, welcome to the forums!

Judging by the title of this topic, I half-expected the first post to read "...I'm a man of wealth and taste."
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

lupinIIImusic

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 10:03:14 pm »
Thank you, we'll do our best.  :D More uploads are on their way. (As soon as our package from Japan arrives, that is.)

EDIT: And sorry to disappoint DrFurball, but I dabble in Lupin III music, not the Stones. Though they're excellent as well of course.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:06:18 pm by lupinIIImusic »

lupinIIImusic

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:04:47 am »
I managed to find a very used copy of the Fuma Soundtrack online! (Description says the cover is waterdamaged and there's a scratch on the disc, but that the disc still works.) However, it's an auction that ends tomorrow...  :( I'm currently trying to get the funds wired to the website in question in order to bid, but that process takes time... Somewhere between "10 minutes and 36 hours", according to the site.  ???

So here's to hoping I can place my bid before the auction ends! I do seem to be the only bidder, at least. Fingers crossed!

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 01:15:27 pm »
If you manage to get that CD you'll be my new favorite person for a long time. If you don't though you'll still be cool for even finding it and almost getting it.

Good luck though!

lupinIIImusic

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 07:01:05 pm »
We got it!  ;D We spent quite a bit extra to meet the Buy-It-Now price, (didn't want to lose it at the last moment), but we got it! But I'm not celebrating just yet; though I'm pretty certain the deal's legit, you never know. I have never been scammed and I'm hoping it'll stay that way!  :-\

It'll probably take quite long to ship, but at least it's on its way!  :D

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 03:59:47 pm »
Awesome news! Congrats new favorite guy for unforseeable future!

lupinIIImusic

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 04:29:46 pm »
Haha, thanks.  :) I'll let you know once I've received it.

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 09:38:24 pm »
Excuse me for bumping this but I was on your youtube channel and noticed you finally got Fuma's music up! I think I can speak for the Lupin community as a whole when I say thank you for doing this!

Now excuse while go listen to "Snap Pop" for the 10th time.

lupinIIImusic

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 10:55:34 am »
Hehe, glad to hear you like it.  ;D

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 12:16:58 pm »
Alright ~lupinIIImusic~ ;D

I have now finished the banner for Mike and Ryan, which you can see under this spoiler:
(click to show/hide)
So I am ready to make you your signature image. I have a pretty solid concept of what I want to do for it. It will include all 3 major music media types in it, and Lupin in a half sillouhete. I also thought I would give it a green background, but would you prefer a different color for that?

Do you actually own any original Vinyl records of Lupin, or is it all CDs?

lupinIIImusic

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 10:57:11 am »
Hey FJ, nice banner you made there. Your concept sounds good to me, though I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say 'all 3 major music media types'. Maybe I lost something in translation there, (I'm not a native speaker), but anyway, the concept sounds good.  ;D Green's fine btw.

And no, I don't own any Vinyl records, I don't have a LP player.  :-\ Plus, uploading Vinyl to Youtube makes no sense, as the only benefit of Vinyl is the sort of 'warmth' you get when you listen to it, which is lost if you record it and upload it to Youtube. Though I'm sure you already knew that.  ;) I could buy a LP player, but it would be just for my personal listening pleasure. I find digital quality to be fine though.

I do however upload all my videos as .WAVs instead of .MP3. The difference can't really be noticed (unless you're an expert and/or have really good ears), but I figured I'd might as well upload the best quality possible, seeing as there are quite a few people who upload Lupin music on Youtube. I considering uploading some albums in .MP3, as it would be easier for others to help me: Bolt7 for instance offered to share some of his albums with me, but in .MP3 quality. (Reripping in .WAV would take him too long, which I can understand.) It's something I'll have to think about.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 11:30:44 am »
Hey FJ, nice banner you made there. Your concept sounds good to me, though I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say 'all 3 major music media types'. Maybe I lost something in translation there, (I'm not a native speaker), but anyway, the concept sounds good.  ;D Green's fine btw.

And no, I don't own any Vinyl records, I don't have a LP player.  :-\ Plus, uploading Vinyl to Youtube makes no sense, as the only benefit of Vinyl is the sort of 'warmth' you get when you listen to it, which is lost if you record it and upload it to Youtube. Though I'm sure you already knew that.  ;) I could buy a LP player, but it would be just for my personal listening pleasure. I find digital quality to be fine though.

I do however upload all my videos as .WAVs instead of .MP3. The difference can't really be noticed (unless you're an expert and/or have really good ears), but I figured I'd might as well upload the best quality possible, seeing as there are quite a few people who upload Lupin music on Youtube. I considering uploading some albums in .MP3, as it would be easier for others to help me: Bolt7 for instance offered to share some of his albums with me, but in .MP3 quality. (Reripping in .WAV would take him too long, which I can understand.) It's something I'll have to think about.

Well see, here's the thing about that. For anything earlier than the late 1980s, it was ripped from a Vinyl master anyway. Any of the older Lupin the 3rd soundtracks originally came from an analogue source even though they are now on CDs, likely with some audio filters and equalizers to improve the quality of certain frequencies. Sure they came from a master cut and not one of the vinyl copies floating around, but my copy of the "Lupin III Part 2 BGM, Vol. 1" (this one --->
(click to show/hide)
transferred fairly well to an MP3 file. I actually bought a Record Player that specifically could record your vinyls and put them on a Flash drive stick. And they honestly don't sound any worse than the CD versions I've heard on Youtube except for a slight dip in the pitch. So if you bought one, you could transfer them to MP3, do a bit of cutting and slicing (not much), and put them onto Youtube just the same.  ;D

It's especially practical when the LPs for a certain soundtrack are actually cheaper than the CD versions. That's not so true for Lupin, unfortunately, but many other famous soundtracks you can find for a buck at a Goodwill when it would normally run you $15 or more for a CD. We even have an annual (small venue) Record Fair here in Savannah, GA, sponsored by the SCAD Radio team. About a dozen record collectors come by to sell their wares, for pretty cheap prices in some cases. One guy even has a bunch of dollar bins where I bought the soundtrack to "The Great Muppet Caper." So it's cool to take advantage of that if you're a musical connoisseur.

If you talked to my Sound Design professor here at SCAD, he would tell you right off, there is a huge difference between lossy files (MP3s) and lossless files (WAVs). The samples that the digital scanner takes of the music are at a much higher rate than the MP3 sampling rate; like almost 4 times or more. So even if you don't think there's a difference; try taking a very high quality lossless file song, converting it to a standard MP3 and listen to them back to back. I guarantee it will be the difference between listening to the song with or without a pillow over your ear. :o

I suppose since they're not used much anymore, you weren't likely to think of them. But when I said 3 major media types, I meant 1. Vinyl Records, 2. Cassette tapes, and 3. CDs. I'm not sure if Lupin was ever ported to a Cassette tape. I'm not even sure if the Japanese bought into Cassette tapes as an audio option, it just doesn't seem like their thing. I've never even seen any Cassette tapes with Japanese text on them. So maybe it won't be the best of all choices, but I thought I would do something with all three since they all have little holes in them. And you'll see why I find that useful when I send you the image. 8)

At the moment I'm a little flustered with my current schedule, lots of stuff having to be coordinated this week and weekend. So just expect something in the coming month. I usually have more than enough time to work on art during Mondays and Wednesdays since I only have one class in the early morning. ;) :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:38:30 am by FilmmakerJ »