Author Topic: Japanese Blu-ray & DVDs Sales for Fujiko  (Read 14739 times)

RobertTheGamer

• A Lupin fan from that land of Fosters and Bruces.
  • Part of the Gang
    • RobertTheGamer
Re: Japanese Blu-ray & DVDs Sales for Fujiko
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 09:01:34 pm »

It depends. The Berserk movies flopped

Well at Reel Anime 2012, out of all the four films they showed, Berserk had the biggest crowd. Probably because anime fans love violence and nudity. :P

Despite what is happening, and despite how the Japanese feel, and despite what a lot of you feel; I am still going to happily purchase "The Woman Called Fujiko Mine" from FUNimation.

I want that in my collection, along with anything else that comes. I liked it well enough to own it. Experimentation at this point is not a bad thing, and we should all be thankful or at least content that somebody had the guts to try something new with the franchise, right?

Now if somebody can just have the sense to try something new that isn't all pretentious and F'ing weird, then maybe we can get some good Specials for a change. :)

I'm definitely buying the English set of Fujiko Mine, assuming Madman picks it up. They usually publish anything Funimation distributes, if not I'll import it from the USA.

I love when a franchise takes risks and Lupin is long overdue for something that breaks the mould. Out all the three Lupin releases next year (Discotek Mamo, Red Vs. Green and Fujiko), Fujiko is the one I'm most excited for, because of that very reason.

I really think that you deserve a medal for what you said.
Too often anime fans will just pirate their stuff. And then they get pissed off when more of their favorite show doesn't get made.
Of COURSE you didn't get more, you didn't support the creators.
I think a real fan would try and support the creators in any way they can--whether it's plopping down the cash for a Blu Ray or watching the legal streams with ads.
But nope, I guess in our entitled society if you can't have it EXACTLY THE WAY YOU WANT IT--that is to say, many people don't like to have it cluttering up their bookshelf or prefer to have it on a USB drive or whatever-- then it's better just to steal and prevent the creators from getting the money that they deserve.
Screw those people. I understand if you don't want to put down $40 or whatever for a series that you don't know that you'll like--but if you're too selfish to sit through a 30-second long ad then you can't call yourself a fan.
Furthermore, I think a true fan would want to collect the stuff of their passion--like you just said.
Sorry for ranting, it's just it's really rare in my experience to find someone who actually cares enough about the medium to collect it the way you just said you do.

I will always support the anime industry, since out of all the indsutries they've been hit by piracy the most. I don't understand why people can't pony up just a small amount of cash to support one series they love. Back in the mid 2000s when I was High School, we didn't have free "legal" streaming sites for anime and DVD prices were ridiculous!!! A complete set of Bubblegum Crisis 2040, Evangelion or Full Metal Panic would set me back $150AU. Nowadays you can get these sets for $60AU. Yet this new generation of anime fans still wringe "DVDs are too expensive, so I have no choice but to pirate."

And like you said, it's funny when people pirate stuff, then wringe that the franchise has died as a result of piracy. Take Valkyria Chronicles II on the PSP, it failed to make back in localisation costs, since like all PSP games, people pirated the hell out of it. Now we have people wringing about Sega refusing to localise Valkyria 3. Sorry folkes, but Sega is a company that financially supports thousands of employees and they can't afford to fund products that will not be financially rewarding. If you guys had simply brought Valkyria 2 in the first place, we would be playing no.3. But nope it was too difficult to spare $40-$60 out of you $500-$1000 weekly paycheck and support Sega, who is sadly going down the toilet and was forced to close their Australian and European offices as a result.
"A stranger, is just a friend you haven't exploited yet" - Bob Monkhouse

FlippytheMaster

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 09:36:29 am »
What do you think is causing people to just default to piracy? Is it because it's so easy? I think legal online streaming has proven that if you make watching something legally easy then people will do that instead. But of course, not everything is available for streaming and that's actually tough to monetize. And of course, even with legal streaming sometimes the rights agreements mean that the show won't be up forever. So of course the hardcore fanbase will buy the DVDs, but I've met people who will just pirate it because they want it on a thumb stick. At that point I think that they're not even being rational about it and just want to steal shit though. Once again, I worry that it's just that people have become so entitled that they don't care about supporting the creators--something that, as a creator myself, worries me.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 10:40:19 am »
What do you think is causing people to just default to piracy? Is it because it's so easy? I think legal online streaming has proven that if you make watching something legally easy then people will do that instead. But of course, not everything is available for streaming and that's actually tough to monetize. And of course, even with legal streaming sometimes the rights agreements mean that the show won't be up forever. So of course the hardcore fanbase will buy the DVDs, but I've met people who will just pirate it because they want it on a thumb stick. At that point I think that they're not even being rational about it and just want to steal shit though. Once again, I worry that it's just that people have become so entitled that they don't care about supporting the creators--something that, as a creator myself, worries me.

And I'm going into the movie business to be a Film Director. I don't want people to pirate my stuff either. :(
And because I'm going into this business, I feel even more responsible for setting a good example for all other content lovers.  :)

Somebody or one of these companies even, should try making a video that explains how the whole system actually works. Because clearly these anime fans have some terrible Cognitive Dissonance. They want more show, they don't want to pay, they find it for free, the show gets cancelled, and they wonder why they can't get even more show "for free." It's a giant circle of denial and stupidity. >:(

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 02:40:00 pm »

And I'm going into the movie business to be a Film Director. I don't want people to pirate my stuff either. :(
And because I'm going into this business, I feel even more responsible for setting a good example for all other content lovers.  :)

Somebody or one of these companies even, should try making a video that explains how the whole system actually works. Because clearly these anime fans have some terrible Cognitive Dissonance. They want more show, they don't want to pay, they find it for free, the show gets cancelled, and they wonder why they can't get even more show "for free." It's a giant circle of denial and stupidity. >:(

I share a dream like yours J but you have to understand that not everyone is rolling around in enough money to be able to buy every single anime they wish to enjoy and it's mean to say they should be denied from ever seeing it just because they can't.

I think a good balance between this would be setting up more legal streams with ads for anime people would like to see thus helping pay for the dub and allowing people to enjoy the anime they want to see at no additional cost. If they attempted to force people to pay for every anime they wanted to see I think the industry would probably get worst off from it because some people watch it for free online before deciding to purchase and without having that freedom they may opt to stop viewing anime all together.

I think they just have to find a balance between these things and everyone will be alright.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 03:15:28 pm »

I share a dream like yours J but you have to understand that not everyone is rolling around in enough money to be able to buy every single anime they wish to enjoy and it's mean to say they should be denied from ever seeing it just because they can't.

I think a good balance between this would be setting up more legal streams with ads for anime people would like to see thus helping pay for the dub and allowing people to enjoy the anime they want to see at no additional cost. If they attempted to force people to pay for every anime they wanted to see I think the industry would probably get worst off from it because some people watch it for free online before deciding to purchase and without having that freedom they may opt to stop viewing anime all together.

I think they just have to find a balance between these things and everyone will be alright.

I understand what you are saying; and I know most people don't have the money to buy everything they want to see. I didn't used to have the ability to buy what I wanted either. I had to go for most of my life waiting a year or longer before I could get anything new. Only now that I'm going to college and have a weekly allowance am I able to do it. But I'm not rolling in money, I'll have to pay all of this back again later anyway.

My friends don't have very much money either and they all love Naruto and One Piece to death. But those shows can be found for FREE on Hulu. The problem is, they are such rabid fans that they've moved onto the episodes that aren't even dubbed yet and are watching upwards of episode 565 or something.

That's the part that becomes an issue. We have places like FUNimation.com, HULU, Youtube (when it's officially uploaded), Netflix to a degree (it's only $10 bucks a month for the Instant titles), and about four or five other sites that are fully free and fully legal to watch your fill of anime on. Anyone who needs more than that and has time for more than that is taking it all for granted, and probably isn't being a very productive person if they watch that much anime all day.

With all of this as well as RedBox for more recent titles, there should be no need for piracy. If someone really wants to see a certain series that is not instantly available, then they should hold their horses and save up for it. Just about everything else can be seen without the need to find it through a torrent.

And yes, the same goes for Lupin the 3rd here. I don't need to see every Lupin movie ever made, right here... right now. I can wait until Discotek either brings them over, or until I can save up enough money to import them. Besides most of the recent specials are crap anyway, so why would I want to sneak around a find it the easy way when there's so much other stuff I could be doing or watching?

I mean if we really want to help support TMS and Lupin the 3rd, than why are we watching anything in the Download Thread? Why are we watching fan-subs? ???
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 03:31:44 pm by FilmmakerJ »

RobertTheGamer

• A Lupin fan from that land of Fosters and Bruces.
  • Part of the Gang
    • RobertTheGamer
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 12:43:19 pm »

Well the funny thing is I know many hardcore Christians (I'm not a religious person) who pirate films, which gives you an idea of how casual people are about pirating and how they see it a harmless act.

The people who pirate anime are pretty much your casual viewer, who only watches it as a means of killing time. They're not "fans" like you or me who is hungry for details on new releases, read anime magazine, visit sites or talk in forums like this one. They're don't know that companies like ADV, Geneon and Bandai have gone bust after this upswing in piracy. In fact they wouldn't been able to name any anime publisher.
"A stranger, is just a friend you haven't exploited yet" - Bob Monkhouse

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 10:44:36 pm »
I buy everything I downloaded or streamed and liked enough to want to own. Maybe not right away, maybe not the extra expensive special editions all the time (though I have on occasion, like with Haruhi), but I've amassed quite a large anime DVD and Blu-Ray collection. Because not only do I like having physical copies, but I'd like to think I've contributed in some way to the people who worked hard on a show I appreciate.

Though I guess it's hypocritical in a way, since I'm not buying some of the other shows that I liked but didn't love. Even the shows I hate were made by people who had to work on them. So sometimes I do get small pangs of guilt.

I don't even have room for any more DVDs or Blu-Rays, yet I'm definitely getting this series.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 11:12:49 pm »
I buy everything I downloaded or streamed and liked enough to want to own. Maybe not right away, maybe not the extra expensive special editions all the time (though I have on occasion, like with Haruhi), but I've amassed quite a large anime DVD and Blu-Ray collection. Because not only do I like having physical copies, but I'd like to think I've contributed in some way to the people who worked hard on a show I appreciate.

Though I guess it's hypocritical in a way, since I'm not buying some of the other shows that I liked but didn't love. Even the shows I hate were made by people who had to work on them. So sometimes I do get small pangs of guilt.

I don't even have room for any more DVDs or Blu-Rays, yet I'm definitely getting this series.

Have you ever cataloged your collection on places like dvdaf.com? How many do you estimate that you have? :D I've got about 230 titles in total. 8)

I too love the physical copies. It's cool to see the box-art when it's really nice too, though I've never bought some of the really nice anime box-sets. Since companies are now converting to online downloads and streams, and physical media may be wiped out; as long as every movie in history can be available on line, and available for a decent price with all of the special features and such, I won't mind the change.

djcj

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 08:08:20 am »
I had found this site, showing a comparison between the TV and BD version:
http://tcexect.tumblr.com/tagged/mine+fujiko+to+iu+onna+BD

They made a few corrections for the BD release that you wouldn't notice at first.

Mr.Lupin

• Old-school Superfan
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 10:39:12 am »

That's why I'm going to purchase "Panty and Stocking" this coming week. Sure it's $36 bucks for 13 episodes, but it's worth it to me. Same with Fujiko, although not as much. But since we don't get a lot of Lupin over here, the rarity alone is a bit boost in my interest to buy it. Plus it will also be dubbed by the older FUNimation cast. That's another boost.

I love gathering DVDs on my shelves. Have you seen some of these anime fans that buy $500+ worth of stuff each week, and they have piles upon piles of DVDs and Blu-rays? It's spectacular! Although, I'd much rather have a shelf for everything rather than junky looking piles. I take good care of my collection.  ;D
And I'm not just an anime fan you know. I own the "BEN HUR" limited-ed Blu-ray too. ;)
[/quote]

Panty a Stocking is a great boxset to get , I own it, what it lacks in frills , it made up in entertainment value .