Author Topic: Monkey Punch's Roman Phantom Thief Game Gets TV Anime  (Read 13796 times)

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
Re: Monkey Punch's Roman Phantom Thief Game Gets TV Anime
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 07:49:06 pm »
Watched the first episode, I found it quite entertaining.  ;D

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:05:00 am by SolHerald »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 01:50:08 am »
It's cute so far. Didn't grab me right off the bat, like I thought it would, but I'm willing to see where it goes.

Aelia

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 06:14:40 pm »
It wasn't anything really MIND-BLOWING, but I enjoyed it a lot. The superhero bit surprised me a little, but it was a pleasant surprise. Like getting an extra dollop of ice cream with my apple pie.

Overall, I'd give it a 8 out of 10 for the first episode.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 05:40:06 pm by Aelia »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 10:51:19 pm »
Magoichi stole the show from Roman. He's like the Oscar of this series. Anyway, you can tell they're recycling failed ideas from Gundo Musashi. They're still smarting from that one, it seems.

Edit: Anyway, this one feels like it got off to a better start. If ANN is correct, there will be a total of 12 eps for this run.

Edit 2: Ishikawa Gojuemon?  ::) I noticed they also briefly swiped that trademark Bond opening where he shoots someone targeting him.  ;D

Edit 3: So Fujiko is Catwoman in this universe?  :P

Edit 4: Oh, and it looks like the obligatory bathing episode is next.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:16:07 pm by GATSU »

sprak

• Cliff Hanger
    • Lupin III Encyclopedia
My reviews for Ep. 1 & 2
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 08:19:32 pm »
I'll be reviewing the series for Fandom Post but will be a week behind the latest episode, as I am currently too cheap to pay for Crunchyroll.

Episode 1
Episode 2

tl;dr It's not blowing me away

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 09:39:32 am »
tuned in

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 06:52:49 pm »
sprak: I'm digging it, but I guess I'm just appreciating the sitcom aesthetic and the fact that it doesn't involve high schoolers with powers who go emo or who become part of a deus ex harem for 40 f**king episodes.

sprak

• Cliff Hanger
    • Lupin III Encyclopedia
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 08:55:53 pm »
sprak: I'm digging it, but I guess I'm just appreciating the sitcom aesthetic and the fact that it doesn't involve high schoolers with powers who go emo or who become part of a deus ex harem for 40 f**king episodes.

I can completely understand that; it is something different than most of what is being served up. However, I can't praise it simply for doing that. For me, it just isn't that entertaining yet; there's hints of what could be a promising story. They just need to hit a better stride at telling it, while building up the characters more.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 09:46:16 pm »
Is there even supposed to be a story? Or was it just intended to be a bunch of cut scenes on a pachinko machine, but they decided to give it all some "depth"?

sprak

• Cliff Hanger
    • Lupin III Encyclopedia
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 10:54:00 pm »
Is there even supposed to be a story? Or was it just intended to be a bunch of cut scenes on a pachinko machine, but they decided to give it all some "depth"?

My understanding is that they made a pachinko machine that used these character designs; at some point, someone thought it would be a good idea to craft an actual story around these characters and turn it into an anime. I've yet to find any footage of the actual machine to tell if the anime has an relation to whatever is played on the machine.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 02:58:26 am »
sprak: Well, you're in luck.

Edit: Longer clip with a better view here.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 03:02:22 am by GATSU »

sprak

• Cliff Hanger
    • Lupin III Encyclopedia
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2013, 02:40:59 pm »
sprak: Well, you're in luck.

Edit: Longer clip with a better view here.

Best guess based on those clips... They had mini stories for the game and decided to make a larger story from them. Probably some elements will be reused (mostly characters and their relations to each other), but I would imagine that the anime story has been largely written from the foundation up.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 04:31:36 am »
So they already got to the obligatory water fan-service episode. That was fast. Though I could do without the semi-nude oyaji.  :P And then they stole that Raiders of the Lost Ark boulder scene, but it looks suspiciously like a pachinko ball.  ::) Edit: Wow, they're ripping off that mine cart scene from Temple of Doom, too. They just really don't care with this show.  ;D Plus, Fuma fans might appreciate the treasure reference. And I guess they're fans of those Ganbare Goemon games, 'cus there's a robot straight out of that series. So overall, this was a fun ep, but I kinda wished it were a two-parter.

Edit: Apparently, there's a gang of baddies in episode 5 designed in traditional Monkey Punch manga style.  ;D

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2013, 08:21:25 am »
Personally, I think it's weird seeing a Lupin-like character with spiked hair. I wonder if that's a response to Hunter x Hunter's Leorio.

I know this is a bit late but I find the interesting coincidence that the writer of the Lupin specials "Island of Assassins, Hamura's Treasure, and Episode 0" which are three of the most well received Lupin TV Specials also wrote the script for the recent though highly successful and well received Hunter x Hunter movie which came out a little after we had this conversation.

(Well he adapted and brought life to the notes from the creator of HxH's notebook for a story he planned to do but didn't finish but still!)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2013, 06:42:03 am »
I notice when Roman grows his hair out in Episode 8, that he looks like Spike from Bebop. And apparently his dad's a Wolverine fan.  :P