Author Topic: Lupin III FUNimation Releases (edit: Especially "Twilight Gemini")  (Read 8805 times)

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
I know these are OOP, but people still sale them on Amazon. I am just wondering what is the preferred method of buying them? The Haul boxes or individually. Mainly I'm wondering if there is any advantage to buying the boxes or individual discs.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:17:08 pm by Reed »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Re: Lupin III FUNimation Releases
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:35:04 am »
The only difference is your ability to save shelf space, I think. I don't think there's any other difference between 'em.

Dots Salchow

• Actually Dots Salchow
  • Part of the Gang
  • That's Dots to you!
    • Tumblr blog
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 05:04:35 pm »
The First Haul boxset contains the censored version of Secret of the Twilight Gemini, which has most of its fanservice scenes removed. Whether that's a bother depends on your standpoint. If it is, there's always the choice of buying all of First Haul's specials and movie separately so you're sure you get the uncensored versions of all of them, or going for the First Haul boxset anyway and then buying the uncensored version of Secret of the Twilight Gemini separately.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:07:09 pm by geckogirl191 »
Often caught but never held for long, Lupin III brought the gentleman-thief into this century with his hi-tech antics and old-world charm.
~Helen McCarthy, 500 Manga Heroes & Villains

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 05:43:43 pm »
gecko: Censored only? What a rip.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 05:52:54 pm »
The First Haul boxset contains the censored version of Secret of the Twilight Gemini, which has most of its fanservice scenes removed. Whether that's a bother depends on your standpoint. If it is, there's always the choice of buying all of First Haul's specials and movie separately so you're sure you get the uncensored versions of all of them, or going for the First Haul boxset anyway and then buying the uncensored version of Secret of the Twilight Gemini separately.

The first print run of First Haul contains the Edited Version. Later print runs corrected the error. At this point, you're taking a gamble on which printing it is as (AFAIK) there's no external clue which printing it is. FUNimation was, at one point, exchanging the discs. But I doubt that offer's any longer on the table.
-R. Nelson

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 10:24:12 pm »
Singles it is then. I also notice the singles have slightly different boxart.

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 07:57:20 pm »
Is there a version of Twilight Gemini where it isn't horrible?

DragonmasterDan

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 04:43:29 pm »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but what was censored from Twilight Gemini, I have the separate (non-first haul)  Funimation edition and am now curious as to whether or not I missed something or have an edited release.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 11:52:26 am »
Well, for starters, you know you have the censored release if it doesn't say "Uncut Feature" (or something like that) under the logo on the cover. If you don't have any audio options, that's another clue.

But here's the comprehensive edit list I put together roughly ten years ago:

Edit List (Version 1.1)
Lupin the Third: The Secret of Twilight Gemini
English Language Version - FUNimation Productions
Compiled by Reed Nelson (Webmaster of LupintheThird.net)

This list is an unofficial compilation of changes made from the Uncut, English-dubbed
version of this program and its Edited, English-dubbed release. To note changes in dialogue
between the English-subtitled and English-dubbed versions is not the purpose of this list.

1. Jigen's "hell" changed to "heck."
2. Conversation in train car between ICPO woman and Lupin cut almost completely.
(Lupin barely sits down with the woman and Zenigata immediately barges in on him)
3. Bedroom scene with Fujiko, Lupin, and Sadachiyo greatly abbreviated.
4. Leering shots on Fujiko's body and shots of ogling crowd omitted.
5. Fujiko showing off her cleavage a bit in the police station omitted.
6. Camera pan down Fujiko's buttocks in the police station replaced with a reversed
animation of her moving in to kiss Lupin. No dialogue was removed or changed.
7. Scene inside the abandoned building re-edited to omit the shot of Lupin pulling the
Twilight from Fujiko's top. No dialogue was removed.
8. When Sadachiyo puts his sword to Lara's neck, the dripping blood is slightly reduced.
9. Sequence where "Galoux" shoots the 3 Geltic prisoners cut, along with a prisoner's line,
"Galoux, you can't!"
10. The scene where Sadachiyo "tortures" Fujiko is mostly cut.
11. Lupin's "Where am I? Did I die? Is this heaven? Or Hell?" becomes "Where am I? Did I
die? Am I dead? Oh, no...."
12. Shots of Lara removing her jacket and bandanna cut.
13. Pink digital 2-piece string bikini added to Lara's figure during her bathing sequence.
14. Scene of Lara bathing lightly abbreviated in a few spots (presumably to decrease costs
of digital editing).
15. Scene of Fujiko tied to the woodwork in the Gelt seperatists' hideout abbreviated. Some
video during this scene was zoomed-in to edit out Fujiko's cleavage and underwear.
16. Scene of Jean-Pierre holding Lara hostage significantly abbreviated, omitting the shot
of him ripping her top, and of her being tossed aside.
17. Sequence where Jean-Pierre is shot is edited to omit blood.
18. Lara's top digitally re-drawn over her shoulder and chest as she lands onto the truck.
19. Shot of Fujiko walking towards the camera in the treasure room cut.
-R. Nelson

DragonmasterDan

• Part of the Gang
Re: Lupin III FUNimation Releases (edit: Especially "Twilight Gemini")
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 05:08:26 pm »
Thanks!

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 03:57:38 pm »
sorry to bump this old topic but was wondering they are often referd to as " the first haul box sets"  is it just one box set or are there two ?

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 10:11:25 am »
there is first haul and final haul