Author Topic: Ideal Lupin III Closure  (Read 6277 times)

Mr. Foo

• Mr. Foo
  • Part of the Gang
  • Yes, that's my lung.
    • A.D. Living
Ideal Lupin III Closure
« on: December 09, 2012, 08:42:11 pm »
Say the Lupin III Franchise finally does come to a close... how would you want to to go?
I'll start us off
Warning: Violence
(click to show/hide)

Bit to dramatic? Needs to be more grand?
Let's hear all your ideal endings!  ;D

LadyLupin

• Part of the Gang
  • Lady Lupin Sansei
Re: Ideal Lupin III Closure
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 11:53:59 pm »
Would this almost be considered a fanwork? If so, we might want to move it to the Fan Creation section.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:55:48 pm by LadyLupin »

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 12:08:46 am »
Lupin marries Fujiko, everybody gets what they want, and nobody dies. The end.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:09:37 am by victorystar »

ultimateemail5000

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 03:43:58 pm »
The gang goes their seperate ways. I could see Fujiko not marrying Lupin, but maybe getting with some rich investor, lawyer, doctor any high paid man. Lupin hides out somewhere far away, staying low where he has a family of his own. Jigen runs a gun range/store. Goemon has mastered all his studies and is now training new students. Zenigata sticks to his job, but stays in Japan arresting regular crooks, but he still looks back at the days of chasing Lupin.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 04:42:14 pm »
From smoking so much Gitanes, Lupin gets lung cancer and see his closest allies by his side while he's bedridden in a top notch hospital. Then an adult Clarisse comes at the end, Lupin sees her and draws his final breath, a big smile on his face.
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

captainsnarf

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 05:27:19 pm »
Lupin wakes up and discovers all his adventures were just a dream. WHAT......A......TWIST!!

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 08:29:02 pm »
It's revealed that Lupin and the gang actually took an immortality potion decades ago (possibly utilizing Mamo's research), which is why they don't age. Even Pops was tricked into it, because Lupin didn't want to spend eternity without the challenge.

Eventually the sun burns out and the gang are left in the ruins of the planet, ever-dying, choking endlessly as the air leaves. Endless torture.

Suddenly a spaceship descends from the sky. Lupin, his eyes bulging, sees a flicker of hope as it lands, and materializes an oxygen field for him to breathe. A man steps out from the ship, carrying a clipboard. Salvation at last! Tears somehow form in his parched eyes.

"Lupin III?" the man from the ship asks.

"Yes!"

"Arsene Lupin III?"

"Yes!"

The man clears his throat.

"Arsene Lupin III, you are a scrotum-tickling, puss gargling, degenerate."

With that, the man puts a tick in a box, steps back into his ship, dissolves the oxygen field, and flies off into the starry abyss.

Lupin had finally met Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged. And following this, endless suffering. Until the universe contracted entirely and he became one with it.

THE END
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:30:56 pm by penguintruth »

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 10:34:41 pm »
Honestly folks, I don't think Lupin the 3rd needs a proper end, because it already has one.

See, if most of ya'll still adhere to the Lupin Canon that states that The Castle of Cagliostro is supposed to occur at the twilight of Lupin's grand career as a master thief, then I think that the way that movie ended is just as pleasant and proper of an ending as one could get.

I personally do not want to think that Lupin and Jigen go their separate ways after a while, those two have a brotherly bond that could never be broken after all they've been through. Fujiko will always be off on her own, doing her own thing and will undoubtedly continue to run into Lupin, Goemon, and Zenigata every once-in-a-while. Goemon will also be off on his own in random instances, because in most recent years, he has decided to pursue contemplation and get more in-depth with his training. I could never see things changing in this respect. Lupin and Jigen will always be the tag-team thieving crew with Goemon on stand-by when they need a mighty swordsman; Fujiko will always be the volatile bomb-shell that can either get in their way, or aid them to reach their goal; and Zenigata will never stop hunting Lupin, as he has so clearly said many many times.

Personally I think if this franchise ever needs a proper ending, similar to how Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade ended, it already has one, and that is The Castle of Cagliostro. It simply holds that position due to its tone and its direction. Sure I know all of the die-hard fan gripes about Jigen sounding too old and not being used much, Goemon practically being shafted, and Fujiko not being as sexy as she should; but the film is still beautiful and it still ends on a good note where everything is back to square one: "here we go again," as Lupin states in the Manga Ent. version.

So the franchise could end at any time. So if you hold this Canon as I do, then there's not much need for forced closure in a FINALE special. In fact, they already tricked us with a title that sounded like a Finale by calling it "The Last Job." But was it really the last job... nope, of course not, and I think it would be foolish to think that Lupin and Jigen, or Fujiko, or Zenigata would ever stop doing what they've always done. They and their adventures shall endure; no death, no break-up, no post-apocalyptic tale of accidental immortality; they all get back to basics again and live happily ever after as they would in any incarnation of the series, not just Miyazaki's version. And I find that a comforting thought which I could see no other way

Let TMS end the franchise when-ever it wants. A specific ending with a serious plot would most likely end up as a movie that just leaves a bad taste in your mouth because it doesn't fit with the tone or the universe or anything else we've seen from the series. Trust me, I've watched and have sat through more than enough films and TV shows to sense how something like a finale film with anything other than a "ride into the sunset" shot would play out: not very well.

P.S.
Now you may say, "but FJ, Fujiko couldn't keep doing what she does forever, she'd eventually lose her youthful beauty: her primary asset." And I would say, not true. I'm fairly certain that if she does anything she'll do one of 3 things: 1, she'll get Botox, breast enhancements to keep them from sagging, and a lot of plastic surgery. 2, she will not do any of that and simply go for the men out there who are looking for a sexy woman of an older age. Or 3, she could start her own team of Femme Fatales where she is the ring-leader, and she would send out her agents to seduce groups of men to gain their riches and treasures. It's been done before and it's totally feasible.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:48:44 pm by FilmmakerJ »

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 10:45:49 am »
Honestly folks, I don't think Lupin the 3rd needs a proper end, because it already has one.

See, if most of ya'll still adhere to the Lupin Canon that states that The Castle of Cagliostro is supposed to occur at the twilight of Lupin's grand career as a master thief, then I think that the way that movie ended is just as pleasant and proper of an ending as one could get.

I personally do not want to think that Lupin and Jigen go their separate ways after a while, those two have a brotherly bond that could never be broken after all they've been through. Fujiko will always be off on her own, doing her own thing and will undoubtedly continue to run into Lupin, Goemon, and Zenigata every once-in-a-while. Goemon will also be off on his own in random instances, because in most recent years, he has decided to pursue contemplation and get more in-depth with his training. I could never see things changing in this respect. Lupin and Jigen will always be the tag-team thieving crew with Goemon on stand-by when they need a mighty swordsman; Fujiko will always be the volatile bomb-shell that can either get in their way, or aid them to reach their goal; and Zenigata will never stop hunting Lupin, as he has so clearly said many many times.

Personally I think if this franchise ever needs a proper ending, similar to how Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade ended, it already has one, and that is The Castle of Cagliostro. It simply holds that position due to its tone and its direction. Sure I know all of the die-hard fan gripes about Jigen sounding too old and not being used much, Goemon practically being shafted, and Fujiko not being as sexy as she should; but the film is still beautiful and it still ends on a good note where everything is back to square one: "here we go again," as Lupin states in the Manga Ent. version.

So the franchise could end at any time. So if you hold this Canon as I do, then there's not much need for forced closure in a FINALE special. In fact, they already tricked us with a title that sounded like a Finale by calling it "The Last Job." But was it really the last job... nope, of course not, and I think it would be foolish to think that Lupin and Jigen, or Fujiko, or Zenigata would ever stop doing what they've always done. They and their adventures shall endure; no death, no break-up, no post-apocalyptic tale of accidental immortality; they all get back to basics again and live happily ever after as they would in any incarnation of the series, not just Miyazaki's version. And I find that a comforting thought which I could see no other way

Let TMS end the franchise when-ever it wants. A specific ending with a serious plot would most likely end up as a movie that just leaves a bad taste in your mouth because it doesn't fit with the tone or the universe or anything else we've seen from the series. Trust me, I've watched and have sat through more than enough films and TV shows to sense how something like a finale film with anything other than a "ride into the sunset" shot would play out: not very well.

P.S.
Now you may say, "but FJ, Fujiko couldn't keep doing what she does forever, she'd eventually lose her youthful beauty: her primary asset." And I would say, not true. I'm fairly certain that if she does anything she'll do one of 3 things: 1, she'll get Botox, breast enhancements to keep them from sagging, and a lot of plastic surgery. 2, she will not do any of that and simply go for the men out there who are looking for a sexy woman of an older age. Or 3, she could start her own team of Femme Fatales where she is the ring-leader, and she would send out her agents to seduce groups of men to gain their riches and treasures. It's been done before and it's totally feasible.

I think that's what the majority of us want and I agree with your vision of Cagliostro as the real "last crusade" of the franchise. But I think this thread is not to be taken too seriously. It's a pleasant "what if" thread with no consequences. :)

At least, that's my opinion.

The strengh of the Lupin III franchise is that it doesn't need an ending. There is no major plot to follow and conclude, just adventures. To me, Lupin III is closer to mythology. :)
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 04:22:57 pm »
I think it'd be neat if the anime ended the same way the original manga with, by Lupin and Co. escaping Zenigata by switching places with a group of astronauts and then cutting to a space shuttle taking off with a furious Zenigata on the ground screaming Lupin's name.

It's open-ended (I mean, they've gotta come back to Earth sometime), and doesn't shake up the status quo too much...but it also feels very grand and I think serves as an epic ending to the franchise as a whole, especially since it mirrors the ending of the manga, which is where it all started.

(Also, what happened to spoiler tags?)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:22:10 am by DrFurball »
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 05:41:34 pm »
I think it'd be neat if the anime ended the same way the original manga with, by Lupin and Co. escaping Zenigata by switching places with a group of astronauts and then cutting to a space shuttle taking off with a furious Zenigata on the ground screaming Lupin's name.

It's open-ended (I mean, they've gotta come back to Earth sometime), and doesn't shake up the status quo too much...but it also feels very grand and I think serves as an epic ending to the franchise as a whole, especially since it mirrors the ending of the manga, which is where it all started.

Now that, I am not opposed to. That has good potential to, as you said, be both grand and open ended. Which is what any ending to a series with these kinds of characters and with this kind of tone, should be like. That's why Monkey Punch went that way.

Although, as we all know the manga continued from there into it's 3rd and 4th generations, so even an ending like that doesn't stop it from having sequels. Just like with The Last Crusade and then The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. When something ends on a grand and ambiguous note, you can honestly always return to it. But even if that is the case, I couldn't see it any other way.

If Lupin in it's current age will end, may it end for good even with an open ending. I'd hate to see it crop back up in a couple of decades and continue to have new stuff because if you saturate the market with that much and that many re-interpretations and re-iterations and generations, it becomes a mess to sort through for newcomers. By that point there would be so much that no one would get around to seeing the specials that are actually good within all of the ones that are crap. It already has the longest running movie series of all time, I just can't see it being reasonable to stop in the next 5 years and then pick up again in 20. There's already so much and they do so little with him as it is, just doing it all over again would become redundant and it would ruin how special Lupin and the Gang really are.

Does anyone else think that ending it now and picking it back up in a few decades would be filled with problems for the sake of the quality and the legacy of the franchise?

Porchops

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 11:57:47 pm »
 I rather like "Green Jacket's" ending.

Mr. Foo

• Mr. Foo
  • Part of the Gang
  • Yes, that's my lung.
    • A.D. Living
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 07:09:16 pm »
It's revealed that Lupin and the gang actually took an immortality potion decades ago (possibly utilizing Mamo's research), which is why they don't age. Even Pops was tricked into it, because Lupin didn't want to spend eternity without the challenge.

Eventually the sun burns out and the gang are left in the ruins of the planet, ever-dying, choking endlessly as the air leaves. Endless torture.

Suddenly a spaceship descends from the sky. Lupin, his eyes bulging, sees a flicker of hope as it lands, and materializes an oxygen field for him to breathe. A man steps out from the ship, carrying a clipboard. Salvation at last! Tears somehow form in his parched eyes.

"Lupin III?" the man from the ship asks.

"Yes!"

"Arsene Lupin III?"

"Yes!"

The man clears his throat.

"Arsene Lupin III, you are a scrotum-tickling, puss gargling, degenerate."

With that, the man puts a tick in a box, steps back into his ship, dissolves the oxygen field, and flies off into the starry abyss.

Lupin had finally met Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged. And following this, endless suffering. Until the universe contracted entirely and he became one with it.

THE END

And the man is called Spike Speigel

This made my day!  ;D

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
  • Fujiko is super hot, Lupin is uber cool
    • My profile on MyAnimeList.net (including Lupin reviews!)
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 07:49:18 am »
I like this one

Mr. Foo

• Mr. Foo
  • Part of the Gang
  • Yes, that's my lung.
    • A.D. Living
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 08:41:26 am »
I like this one

Except it can't happen.

How can Lupin live happily with Fujiko in marriage if Zenigata is still around?

Zenigata want Lupin arrested! Lupin can never settle down like that!

Sometime I think Monkey Punch specifically made the characters so it is impossible for them all to be happy at once.