Author Topic: "Fitzwilly" the Lupin-esque movie, coming to TCM, Dec. 23  (Read 3893 times)

FilmmakerJ

"Fitzwilly" the Lupin-esque movie, coming to TCM, Dec. 23
« on: December 12, 2012, 01:51:40 am »
For those of you who didn't catch my other posts, and who have not gotten a chance to see it yet: the Lupin-esque movie about a clever Butler and his house staff band of thieves, Fitzwilly, is coming to Turner Classic Movies this December 23rd.

Fitzwilly stars Dick Van Dyke as the head Butler of a grand mansion, owned by an elderly woman who is so generous and yet so oblivious to her funds, that she has actually given all of her money to charity funds. So to keep up the house, keep the paychecks coming, and to continue to keep the old woman in good health; Fitzwilly began devising plans of how to steal money from banks, insurance companies, and large scale businesses.

At one point, however, the old woman hires a secretary to help her write her memoirs, and this secretary (played by Agent 99, Barbara Feldon) starts to get wise to Fitzwilly's illegal operations. So of course, romance and misunderstandings, as well as more shenanigans ensue.

I gotta tell ya, this is probably the best Lupin-esque movie ever, and there really aren't many. Out of all of them that do exist, this is the closest to Lupin in tone, character, and style of thievery. Dick Van Dyke even dons the Lupin styled costumes and fake accents. It's too bad there couldn't also be a Zenigata character in here as well.

I highly recommend any of you who are classic film enthusiasts to check this hidden gem out on the 23rd for a little pre-Christmas excitement.

aalong64

Re: "Fitzwilly" the Lupin-esque movie, coming to TCM, Dec. 23
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 08:05:56 am »
If I'm able to, I'll try to see it.. Looks like a fun movie with a few similarities to Lupin. And the cast sounds good too.

Dragoon En Regalia

• Dill Pycal Salesman
  • Part of the Gang
  • Goes to the Discotek a lot.
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 03:39:04 am »
I just watched this. It's the perfect way to relieve a bad day, I tell ya. Fitzwilly's a great film that many more people ought to have seen back then and now should, especially since it's easy to view on Netflix Instant.

Here's my in-depth review I posted on Letterboxd. Maybe you should get an account on the site, FilmmakerJ
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 04:33:36 am by Dragoon En Regalia »
Gic.

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
    • Hardocre Gamer Magzine - free download
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 07:02:38 pm »

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 01:07:47 am »
Not sure when it went up, but it's also on Netflix instant streaming - http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Fitzwilly/70147135?strkid=1863767757_0_0&strackid=165aa128650163b3_0_srl&trkid=222336

I originally saw it on Netflix, but it dissapeared soon after I saw it. But I had hoped it would pop back up eventually.

So any of you with a Netflix account should totally give it a try.  ;)