Author Topic: Discotek's Lupin Future?  (Read 10906 times)

FlippytheMaster

• Part of the Gang
Discotek's Lupin Future?
« on: January 20, 2013, 07:46:14 pm »
So 2013 is gearing up to be an exciting year for Discotek's Lupin Lineup, with Mystery of Mamo due out on February 23rd (a little more than a month as I type this! Oh, I'm drooling on the keyboard) and Green vs. Red coming on the 21st of May. They've publicly stated that they're interested in releasing as much Lupin as possible, and they've hinted at the fact that they have another release in the works to be announced. My question is, where do you think Discotek will go with their releases? Which ones do you think are likely candidates for being licensed next? And perhaps most importantly, when do you think they'll stop?
I feel like Gold of Babylon is a good candidate for the release they've hinted at, and if not, I imagine it'd be soon after. But I also have my fingers crossed for a Red Jacket Complete Series set--so much so that I've been holding off of buying the Geneon DVDs. Of course there's over a decade of specials to choose from, but I'm also hoping for a Pink Jacket release for no other reason that I love the zany art style.
Am I right? Am I wrong? What do you think is likely as well? Do you think they'll keep cranking out Lupin until their company keels over? Discuss, por favor

FilmmakerJ

Re: Discotek's Lupin Future?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 08:22:20 pm »
So 2013 is gearing up to be an exciting year for Discotek's Lupin Lineup, with Mystery of Mamo due out on February 23rd (a little more than a month as I type this! Oh, I'm drooling on the keyboard) and Green vs. Red coming on the 21st of May. They've publicly stated that they're interested in releasing as much Lupin as possible, and they've hinted at the fact that they have another release in the works to be announced. My question is, where do you think Discotek will go with their releases? Which ones do you think are likely candidates for being licensed next? And perhaps most importantly, when do you think they'll stop?
I feel like Gold of Babylon is a good candidate for the release they've hinted at, and if not, I imagine it'd be soon after. But I also have my fingers crossed for a Red Jacket Complete Series set--so much so that I've been holding off of buying the Geneon DVDs. Of course there's over a decade of specials to choose from, but I'm also hoping for a Pink Jacket release for no other reason that I love the zany art style.
Am I right? Am I wrong? What do you think is likely as well? Do you think they'll keep cranking out Lupin until their company keels over? Discuss, por favor

I thought we had this exact discussion, with the idea of Pink Jacket being thrown around a lot, about 3-4 months ago.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 12:18:42 am »
Well, like I said, the one they would prioritize first is Goodbye Lady Liberty, because it has a UK dub, and 'cus they can push it into 2014 to exploit its 25th anniversary.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 11:29:10 am »
Well, like I said, the one they would prioritize first is Goodbye Lady Liberty, because it has a UK dub, and 'cus they can push it into 2014 to exploit its 25th anniversary.

AWWww, don't say that GATSU, I don't wanna wait another full year or more for Lady Liberty.

Well if I must, then they better get out Gold of Babylon in Fall of this year if they do some more Lupin around September and October. I mean, they wouldn't wait an entire year after their Green VS Red release to do any more Lupin, would they?

FlippytheMaster

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 11:49:25 am »

I thought we had this exact discussion, with the idea of Pink Jacket being thrown around a lot, about 3-4 months ago.
Oh yeah, that's right... Well, that's awkward. Guess I ought to try and remember my own posts more clearly!
But if I remember correctly that was centered around Pink Jacket, and things have obviously changed some since then, given more recent announcements. Do you think the strategy has changed since then or are we thinking it's about the same? I mean, before were kind of speculating but now we have more information from the source itself. If not then well I guess this discussion was totally pointless. Sorry!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:50:10 am by FlippytheMaster »

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 01:49:08 pm »

Oh yeah, that's right... Well, that's awkward. Guess I ought to try and remember my own posts more clearly!
But if I remember correctly that was centered around Pink Jacket, and things have obviously changed some since then, given more recent announcements. Do you think the strategy has changed since then or are we thinking it's about the same? I mean, before were kind of speculating but now we have more information from the source itself. If not then well I guess this discussion was totally pointless. Sorry!

I don't think any information has changed. lol

We pretty much had that discussion about Pink Jacket and Lady Liberty and Red Jacket specifically because Discotek said they were going to try and release as much Lupin as possible. I remember that exact piece of news being the catalyst.

But it's okay Flippy, we're all excited. But I still think the consensus was that Lady Liberty would be the chief release they do soonest since it's the last one that has a English dub. Gold of Babylon would be the other main one since they planned on that one so long ago, and hopefully something like Return of the Magician would be the next Un-Subbed film they release since it's related to their Green Jacket release.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 05:38:02 pm »
Filmmaker: I think the only incentive they'd have to get Babylon out is in '015, when it hits its 30th anniversary. If it doesn't happen by then, I don't know when, or if we'll ever get it here. ;-;

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 06:15:28 pm »
Filmmaker: I think the only incentive they'd have to get Babylon out is in '015, when it hits its 30th anniversary. If it doesn't happen by then, I don't know when, or if we'll ever get it here. ;-;

I know the movie kinda sucks, but why is it so unlikely that they'd release that one? It's the only other one with any real style to it. The majority of the rest are cookie-cutter looking films with crappy, lazy stories. At least Babylon had a cooky art style, interesting music, and a plot-line that made you go "huh?" instead of "...sigh" :P

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 09:31:41 pm »
Allegedly, TMS and/or Toho are charging more than it's worth for it, possibly because Seijun Suzuki directed it.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 10:24:25 pm »
Allegedly, TMS and/or Toho are charging more than it's worth for it, possibly because Seijun Suzuki directed it.

That was probably Toho and that was like 2008 or 2009. I imagine it might be a different story by now.
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 05:45:07 am »
Reed: Then, like I said, the only other reason they're stalling on it is they're waiting for the anniversary as an excuse to put it out, 'cus it'd be too fugly for more to buy it otherwise.

Edit: Assuming Discotek can afford it, I predict Cagliostro in '014 for the 35th anniversary release. Hopefully with both the Macek *and* Manga dubs.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 11:00:53 am »
Reed: Then, like I said, the only other reason they're stalling on it is they're waiting for the anniversary as an excuse to put it out, 'cus it'd be too fugly for more to buy it otherwise.

Edit: Assuming Discotek can afford it, I predict Cagliostro in '014 for the 35th anniversary release. Hopefully with both the Macek *and* Manga dubs.

I sure hope they get Cagliostro, and I hope they can get a Blu-ray for it this time. Cause I NEED my favorite movie to be with both Japanese and English language, readable menus, and be in High-Definition. Trying to buy the Japanese import is just too awkward for me in the long run... IN CASE someone does release it in English soon after. So someone better do it quick. ;D

LadyLupin

• Part of the Gang
  • Lady Lupin Sansei
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 12:54:28 pm »
Doesn't Manga Entertainment still retain the rights to Cagliostro?

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 05:59:41 pm »
Doesn't Manga Entertainment still retain the rights to Cagliostro?

I believe either Reed or GATSU or somebody said their rights expired about 3-4 years ago. So it's now open for someone else to take them.

You can find Cagliostro streaming in a few places just like other Lupin titles because TMS is now putting it up there themselves, not Manga. So when Cagliostro showed up on Youtube, and Netflix, and even Hulu, I'm pretty sure that was TMS.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 06:25:36 pm »
DISCOTEK Just announced that they are releasing 1 Blu-ray this year, and they will announce the title next month.

Reed, any news if this is in fact a Blu-ray of Mamo? Because I really need to know so I don't end up having to buy both a DVD and a Blu-ray. If it's not, I can wait for the news.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:25:50 pm by FilmmakerJ »