Author Topic: Discotek's Lupin Future?  (Read 10907 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Re: Discotek's Lupin Future?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 11:44:08 pm »
Their rights to Cagliostro did expire, but the DVDs appeared to still be in print for a while. But now that's no longer the case. Might get a good deal off Amazon trade-in, if I time it right...

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 09:47:36 am »
Their rights to Cagliostro did expire, but the DVDs appeared to still be in print for a while. But now that's no longer the case. Might get a good deal off Amazon trade-in, if I time it right...

You won't really get a good price unless it's a very particular item, and only if it's brand new with the plastic-wrap still on it. Other wise, the price they say you could get for it won't apply.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 06:50:27 pm »
Actually, the used prices for Cagliostro are getting up there, too.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 07:51:05 pm »
Actually, the used prices for Cagliostro are getting up there, too.

Well you would get more selling it.
But trading it in hinges greatly on it's wear, and especially if it is unaltered and in the plastic-wrap. I turned in about 15 different DVDs, and it was really hard to get any more than $0.75 cents for any one title. Only 1 was more than $1.50 for something without plastic, and only the one with the packaging still on got more than $3.00.

So just be wary of that.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 11:33:23 am »
Personally, I think that the Pink Jacket series might be a good venture.

-It's only 50 Episodes so it's not too tough of a project (At least compared to the 155 of Red Jacket).

-Considering the series isn't the most beloved over in Japan, they might be able to get it at a good price, thus increasing their potential profit.

-There's no decent Sub of this available and many fans haven't even seen the series all the way through.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 10:28:08 pm »
I saw whatever I could accurately record, and other than the Flashdance and Lebanon eps, I'm not missing much. But I guess I'd pay for it, just to have good subs. Though I imagine DT would take baby steps by considering Babylon first, since it's less of a risk. But then I figured they'd rescue the 90s Cutey Honey OAV and maybe license that 2000s Mazinger reboot before picking up the originals, so you never know.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 12:02:50 am »
I saw whatever I could accurately record, and other than the Flashdance and Lebanon eps, I'm not missing much. But I guess I'd pay for it, just to have good subs. Though I imagine DT would take baby steps by considering Babylon first, since it's less of a risk. But then I figured they'd rescue the 90s Cutey Honey OAV and maybe license that 2000s Mazinger reboot before picking up the originals, so you never know.

Considering "Babylon" is a fairly bad movie on it's own, and it's based on the later, more awkward episodes of the Pink Jacket series; I would have to say that the truth may be more in the opposite direction.

Certainly the Babylon film has some cool and visually fascinating moments, that's why I originally stood up for it. But after attempting to watch it a second time there are just so many unanswered questions and the direction and story flow are so disjointed and confusing that it's just a very poor film. Not something I'd much care to own, nor watch multiple times. I'd be more likely to blindly buy any of the unreleased Lupin movies than buy Babylon; including the Pink Jacket series as a whole.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 01:10:55 am »
See, I'm in the minority in liking Babylon. But then I can respect that it was trying to be a Lupin which could keep up with the times more than a "typical" Lupin special. Though I guess if you're comparing it with the 70s stuff, I could see why you'd find it lacking.

But after attempting to watch it a second time there are just so many unanswered questions and the direction and story flow are so disjointed and confusing

It's Seijun Suzuki. That's just his style. And Babylon is "normal" by his standards.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 10:03:47 am »
See, I'm in the minority in liking Babylon. But then I can respect that it was trying to be a Lupin which could keep up with the times more than a "typical" Lupin special. Though I guess if you're comparing it with the 70s stuff, I could see why you'd find it lacking.

But after attempting to watch it a second time there are just so many unanswered questions and the direction and story flow are so disjointed and confusing

It's Seijun Suzuki. That's just his style. And Babylon is "normal" by his standards.

I would think it'd be both foolish and unwise to have a style that intentionally tries to make badly directed movies. There is a big difference between a confusing yet clever movie and a confusing and poorly written movie.

Buckaroo Banzai was the same way. It is meant to be weird and odd but at the same time it doesn't give plot points or characters or scenes the time or proper (shorter) time that they should have to get their point and purpose across. If you focus on things that are unnecessary and you don't establish properly the stuff that is necessary, then you get a film that goes nowhere and when it finally gets somewhere, you're surprised and you ask yourself "HOW and WHEN the hell did we get here?"

Again, I love many things about Babylon, and I so desparatlly want to fully enjoy watching it from beginning to end, but so many things bug me constantly because it doesn't flow right that I just can't enjoy it that way. And I'm the only guy I know who is going to college for film but can shut off my critical filmmaker's eye when I'm watching movies. I never question the lighting or the sound or the camera or the production quality at all... unless it is poorly done. Because if the filmmakers are doing their jobs right, then the suspension of disbelief kicks in and you no longer question anything, you just enjoy the film. Babylon drops the ball multiple times to where I just have to ask "why are we here?" "Where are we going?" "when the heck did you learn about that, nobody told you who knew?" and "why is this motorbike chase going on so long, and how the heck do these people know who you and Zenigata are to in affect, enjoy you guys chasing each other on that giant robotic female bill-board?"

I like crazy unpredictable movies, but there's a certain way and style in which those films work. In Babylon, it doesn't for me. And after all that I did to support it before, I just feel so dumb and like such a hippocrit, lol. But this is how I feel now. Even Mamo flowed better and had better atmosphere most of the time.

Then again, who knows. I used to hate a lot of animated movies when I was a kid, but now that I can see some of them in Blu-ray HD, they are a lot more awesome. So if Discotek can at least get a really clean transfer of Babylon on DVD, maybe seeing the film in higher quality and better sound will make me like it more and forget some of it's issues. It's completely possible with me. :)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 02:20:31 pm »
For me, the Lupin gang's always in wacky situations, so Babylon wasn't any different. Though if you're going to talk about confusing, some of those original Lupin manga panels can be a lot worse to decipher.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 03:29:22 pm »
For me, the Lupin gang's always in wacky situations, so Babylon wasn't any different. Though if you're going to talk about confusing, some of those original Lupin manga panels can be a lot worse to decipher.
That's the way I feel. To this day, I still have no clue what happens at the end of the chapter where Jigen makes his first appearance (At least that's the chapter I think I'm thinking of).

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 03:53:22 am »
so if anything more is to be announced when do yea think we might hear about it ?

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 01:26:54 am »
Give 'em some time to see how GvR does. Plus, they're probably waiting to see what TMS will do w/ its streaming service now, too.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2013, 01:35:28 am »
I have personally been noticing a lot of the TMS stuff popping up on Hulu and Crunchyroll and such have been weirdly tied to what's getting licensed by the various companies. Part I and Mamo have been licensed, Cobra has, Panda Go Panda, and so on. I mean, the DVDs will hopefully be better (ex.: if Discotek licensed Part II they'd definitely be bilingual whereas the streams are dub-only, IIRC), but there is a weird overlap there. But it's not totally effective: Part II ISN'T licensed, and neither is "Cagliostro" at the moment. So it's not necessarily indicative of anything, but it's been interesting, that's all.
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2013, 04:07:34 am »
Cagliostro doesn't necessarily have to be a Discotek pick-up. I can imagine Sentai/Section 23/Maiden Japan going after that one, too. Or maybe since Right Stuf seems to be on a TMS kick lately, they'd call dibs. But yeah, at this point, DT's the only company crazy enough to get the red jacket and pink jacket Lupin show. Maybe Right Stuf would take a chance on pink jacket, if they also think they can get sell it, 'cus it's only a third of the number of eps of the red jacket show. But that's a long shot. [Though they actually rescued Dirty Pair Flash, so you never know.]

Edit: Though if S/S 23/MJ gets Cagliostro, then there's a good chance they wouldn't include the Otsuka interview from Manga's SE.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 04:16:03 am by GATSU »