Author Topic: It's been years...  (Read 4118 times)

IncentiveBeats

• Old-Timer, Post-2003 n00b
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yay!
    • Dystopiaq
It's been years...
« on: February 12, 2013, 08:02:44 pm »
I was digging out my closet the other day and discovered some old Lupin III tankouban, and it led me to see if the Lupin Encyclopedia was still online. I doubt many of the older fans on here will remember me, but I used to run the site with Luis back in the day (when we had combined our personal fan sites into this database) when I was a teenager. It's cool to see the website still online, and it is especially cool to see a community still exists.

sprak

• Cliff Hanger
    • Lupin III Encyclopedia
Re: It's been years...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:00:47 pm »
I was digging out my closet the other day and discovered some old Lupin III tankouban, and it led me to see if the Lupin Encyclopedia was still online. I doubt many of the older fans on here will remember me, but I used to run the site with Luis back in the day (when we had combined our personal fan sites into this database) when I was a teenager. It's cool to see the website still online, and it is especially cool to see a community still exists.

Bruce! Or rather, James as you now prefer. Couple of us were just talking a few days ago how you dropped off the map way back when. Good to hear from you; hope life finds you well.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 07:58:04 pm »

Hello James, my name's Jonathan, or FilmmakerJ. I'm the resident Cagliostro-phile ;D

I just wanted to say that you don't have to worry, this community is still alive and kicking and it seems to be steadily growing. And I would find it pretty hard to believe a community could cease to exist over the mega-monster franchise that is Lupin the 3rd. Especially that were now finally getting new amazing goodies from our friends at Discotek.

I want this community to stay alive for years to come and I hope we can still find new things to talk about and discuss.

So if you're coming back to join the fray once again, then welcome back sir.  :) ;)

Mr.Lupin

• Old-school Superfan
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 10:19:29 pm »
Bruce, I believe we've met in person , seems like I knew someone from the fandom with that moniker.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 02:48:12 am »
Hello Bruce. Good to see (er, read) you're alive and well. You really did completely vanish. I can't remember if you ever finished that alternate-universe "Exploits" Lupin fanfiction I used to enjoy, but whenever I think of "Lupin" fanfics I will always remember you for that series. And your contributions to the Encyclopedia in its earlier forms, of course. Welcome back!
-R. Nelson

RobertTheGamer

• A Lupin fan from that land of Fosters and Bruces.
  • Part of the Gang
    • RobertTheGamer
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 04:56:43 am »
Howdy, I'm Robert from the land Lupin The 3rd forgot. As seen arguing with Filmmakerj (like a married couple).

Since your name is Bruce, I'm going to assume you're Australian since everyone in my country is called Bruce.
"A stranger, is just a friend you haven't exploited yet" - Bob Monkhouse

IncentiveBeats

• Part of the Gang
    • Dystopiaq
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 02:36:14 am »
Luis, I sort of dropped out of the loop in both anime and Japanese music circles. Been focused on music production and school (hopefully finishing grad school this year). Kinda strange to think the last time we talked I was still in high school. Hope things are going good for you, too, man.

Mr.Lupin, where did we meet? OhayoCon? Otakon? I remember hanging out with a Lupin III cosplayer at the first or second OhayoCon years ago...was that you?

Reed, the fanfics were never finished. Those actually came back to haunt me. Some of the more ridiculous passages have become inside jokes with my friends. I know I did have a few chapters that I never posted online....but they are probably long gone. I think what exists of the fanfic is still on Archive.org and some fanfic databases online.

Robert, this is one of my favorite Monty Python sketches.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 03:14:39 am by IncentiveBeats »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 04:23:09 am »
Reed, the fanfics were never finished. Those actually came back to haunt me. Some of the more ridiculous passages have become inside jokes with my friends. I know I did have a few chapters that I never posted online....but they are probably long gone. I think what exists of the fanfic is still on Archive.org and some fanfic databases online.

Well, yeah, I'd be a liar if I said my own "Terror in Salivano" was a masterpiece; it was basically a reimagining of "Cagliostro"-Lupin instead of Lupin "proper." We wrote them both in our younger years. If anything, it was a good writing exercise. Perhaps someday I'll return to Lupin fanfiction, but come on now, have you seen how much of it there is on the Web these days? Shoot, I saw not one, but TWO Lupin--Yu-Gi-Oh! GX crossovers the other day.

Thankfully, "Salivano" never came back to "haunt" me. I really only had one local friend who dug Lupin (and "Cagliostro") in particular (thinking back, he gave me input/feedback on "Salivano") and he's shed his mortal coil, so yeah, no inside jokes here!
-R. Nelson

IncentiveBeats

• Part of the Gang
    • Dystopiaq
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 02:33:25 am »
Yeah, most of my friends are not Lupin fans either. One of them found the fanfics on Archive or something and spread it around to my other friends. Next thing I know I'm waking up to a Facebook wall full of quotes like "Is [sic] the rumors true?" and "You'll never take away that which is most dear to me!"  :-[