Author Topic: "The Mystery of Mamo" DVD Feedback Thread  (Read 6839 times)

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
"The Mystery of Mamo" DVD Feedback Thread
« on: February 26, 2013, 02:59:38 am »
Please post your comments, thoughts, criticisms and feedback here. I will do my best to respond to any questions. Thanks!

Basic data:

Disc contains all 4 English dubs, and Japanese audio in either 2.0 mono or 2.0 stereo (whichever was available). 5.1 version of the Geneon dub is omitted due to bandwidth limitations. There is no audio commentary in part for this reason, also.

Extras:
-"Why Mamo Matters," An Essay by Mike Toole
-Liner notes written and compiled by Lupinthe3rd.com Staff
-Written interview with voice actor Bill Dufris
-Translation of the original movie program
-Includes all 4 English dubs

Video comes from the same master as the Japanese DVD release. That means: no English overlays, no edited logos, but also no English-language credits sequences.
-R. Nelson

RobertTheGamer

• A Lupin fan from that land of Fosters and Bruces.
  • Part of the Gang
    • RobertTheGamer
Re: "The Mystery of Mamo" DVD Feedback Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 09:33:28 am »
Video comes from the same master as the Japanese DVD release. That means: no English overlays, no edited logos, but also no English-language credits sequences.

So how will the Coroner's Report at the beginning of the film work since it's the Japanese print. I have the Madman DVD which uses the Geneon transfer with English text. So will there be a translation in subtitle form at the bottom. Because that's a lot of text to translated on a single screen.

And one more question (slightly off topic), I asked (I was that Robert dude) on the Discotek Facebook page a few months, will you (Reed) be doing a commentary track for Green Vs. Red. You replied to me saying it was on the cards, but you said you were worn out or busy with our matters and might not be able to complete it. Any updates on that? If you can't do it, don't force yourself.

Anyway Amazon just told me my copy has shipped and will arrive in 2 weeks. For those Aussie Lupin fans, I real test the DVD and find out if it isn't region locked and can run on a region 4 only DVD player. Since many Lupin DVDs in the past have been encoded for region 4 and not everyone has a region free DVD player like me.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:37:44 am by RobertTheGamer »
"A stranger, is just a friend you haven't exploited yet" - Bob Monkhouse

FlippytheMaster

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 10:00:28 am »
I got my preorder in the mail yesterday and love it! The DVD case had a little chip out of it, which sucks, but it was a problem with the mail, not Discotek. I love the bonus features. I'll be posting a full review on my blog soon. This is a great DVD. Awesome stuff.

RobertTheGamer

• Part of the Gang
    • RobertTheGamer
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 10:19:26 am »
I got my preorder in the mail yesterday and love it! The DVD case had a little chip out of it, which sucks, but it was a problem with the mail, not Discotek. I love the bonus features. I'll be posting a full review on my blog soon. This is a great DVD. Awesome stuff.

Grrrrrr.....I so jealous :P

FlippytheMaster

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 09:45:25 pm »

Grrrrrr.....I so jealous :P
Ha ha.  :P Here's my review! It's honestly hard to think of what to say about this release without gushing. I'm really, really happy with it. So excuse me if the review lacks any prescient ideas.
http://betweentheframes.tumblr.com/post/44110955381/lupin-the-3rd-the-mystery-of-mamo-dvd-review

lupinthewolf

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 09:46:07 pm »

So how will the Coroner's Report at the beginning of the film work since it's the Japanese print. I have the Madman DVD which uses the Geneon transfer with English text. So will there be a translation in subtitle form at the bottom. Because that's a lot of text to translated on a single screen.
I just got the DVD and the Coroner's Report is in Japanese with subtitles. Not all of the text is displayed on screen at once, but only sections of two lines at a time. The dub versions have their own dedicated subtitle track for on-screen text.

RobertTheGamer

• Part of the Gang
    • RobertTheGamer
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 09:13:03 am »
Thanks for answering my question, appreciate it.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 12:56:54 am »
Another great Lupin release. The Video looks great and I was very pleased with the use of yellow subs. It makes them so much easier to read.

I have yet to go through the Extras yet though, but it's a great lineup.

lupinthewolf

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 12:47:54 pm »
I appreciate the effort put into restoring the JAL dub. The voices are clearer than before and there's no creeping projector noise. :)

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 06:03:25 pm »
I have a question about this. Is the subtitles just taken directly from the Geneon release. Or are they original?

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 07:31:30 pm »
Is the subtitles just taken directly from the Geneon release. Or are they original?

Neither. They're a modified version of the Geneon DVD's subs. An error or two was corrected, some phrasing tweaked, but it's otherwise pretty much Yurika Dennis' translation from 2003.
-R. Nelson

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 08:34:51 pm »
Thanks for the clarification.