Author Topic: "The Legend of the Gold of Babylon" DVD & Blu-ray Feedback Thread  (Read 1544 times)

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
The Blu-ray of this long-awaited release comes out in North America November 27, 2018, with the DVD close behind in December.

Extras (on the Blu-ray, at least) include:
- Brand-new English Dub!
- Trailers ('85 Japanese and 2017/2018 US teasers/trailers)
- Liner notes by LupintheThird.com Staff
- Elaborate art gallery, similar to the one seen on the Japanese DVD release

DVD will probably include trailers and liner notes but possibly not the art gallery. I didn't help with DVD authoring so I honestly don't know. DVD will definitely have the dub, though!

I helped write tiny parts of the dub and helped with liner notes, but it's mostly written by Richard Epcar and possibly Ellyn Stern? I don't recall. They definitely both directed the dub, though.
-R. Nelson

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
Re: "The Legend of the Gold of Babylon" DVD & Blu-ray Feedback Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 07:01:41 pm »
I got my copy today so I'll share some of my initial thoughts...

Packaging: I haven't seen the reverse artwork before, and I'm really digging it, if only slipcovers could be reversed. XP (Not that the other side is bad or anything.)

Feature:
I'm holding off on rewatching it completely until I can watch it with a few people, but from the clips I played it looks and sounds great! The dub is also fine, Epcar and friends do a good job.

I noticed the dub changes a few jokes, but I think they are welcomed changes as they don't make much sense in English. For example:
"It just so happens I had my ears cleaned at the barbershop yesterday" becomes "It just so happens Lupin, that my ears are 20/20." The same bar scene also has a barrel of monkey puns, which got a laugh out of me.

Art Gallery:
Quite a lengthy art gallery with lots of settei. I don't think they had page numbers, but one of them shows some close ups of Fujiko's face, and she looks absolutely gorgeous, if only they stuck to that design closer.

Linear Notes:
As always good job with the linear notes Reed; reading the directorial problems they had to go through to get this movie done was quite interesting, too bad we couldn't have seen how Oshii's Lupin would have turned out. (Even if he reused ideas for other movies.)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 07:30:07 pm by SolHerald »

JAG2045

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 11:47:15 am »
Has there been any confirmation yet of the DVD extras at all (i.e. if the art gallery is included?)

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 12:48:58 am »
A month late, but yes the art gallery trailers and liner notes are on the DVD, the Creditless op too.

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 12:03:01 pm »
Does this happen to have the BGM-only audio track that the 1st Japanese DVD had?

Loopawn

• The World's Greatest Thief!
  • Part of the Gang
  • I'm Loopawn the Turd!
    • The Thieving Gentleman, Lupin III [Tumblr RP Blog]
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 10:03:07 am »
I bought the Blu-Ray about 3 weeks early from Discotek's booth at Youmacon (in Detroit, MI). I watched it that evening after I got back to my friend's house, where we were staying for the con, and GOD. I absolutely LOVED this dub. Like, it was phenomenal. Very reminiscent of the 2003 Part II dub and Mamo's dub, and it just blew me away. I also met Richard Epcar and Ellyn Stern the day I bought that Blu-ray, and got them to sign it!

I have watched the dubbed version many times now, but I haven't really sat down to check out all the special features, though I did glance at the Art Gallery, and I love the way they did it, and watched the trailers. Still gotta check out the liner notes! I don't know about the BGM-only audio track, though.

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 06:29:02 pm »
I don't see any mention of the BGM track, and I only see two audio tracks on my computer. (Japanese/English)