Author Topic: LUPIN III'S ORIGINS THEORY (Warning: SPOILERS!)  (Read 9852 times)

Jo

• Part of the Gang
  • natto mmm.
    • I am a vegan. Except on half price wing night.
Re: LUPIN III'S ORIGINS THEORY (Warning: SPOILERS!)
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 07:48:49 pm »
Thanks. I decided to go ahead and post Fu's backstory and his relationship with Lupin the 1st:

(click to show/hide)

Overall, I think it's a neat idea, but it needs fleshing out. I want to do more research on the historical aspect of things.

Interestingly well thought out! The only thing I'd comment on about historical accuracy is that it would be strange for a woman to be named Quanyin. It's not really a thing in China now, but prior to the revolution it'd be taboo to even consider naming someone after a religious or ruling figure.

Phew! I'm relieved you're not offended by the historical references. As for Guanyin's name, I got it from one of those baby name sites a while back. I might change it to a Cantonese name. I I tentionally gave the children Mandarin first names due to Fu's respect for his heritage.

Huojin has a girlfriend named Mei-ling Ma. Her name is homage to two Chinese women I knew.

If they're in Hong Kong their names would probably be in Cantonese to avoid getting publicly lynched (I kid, but not really - anybody else see that subway video?). Most of the older generations from Hong Kong (especially those that were there for generations like my dad's side) are fairly adamant about distinguishing themselves from Mainlanders. I'm not saying it's hostility per se, but British rule instilled a sense of privilege there and combined with the Revolution it left behind some nasty side effects.

Lupin III Manga Database[Scanlations and such are here]

LadyLupin

• Part of the Gang
  • Lady Lupin Sansei
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 09:42:33 pm »
Thanks. I decided to go ahead and post Fu's backstory and his relationship with Lupin the 1st:

(click to show/hide)

Overall, I think it's a neat idea, but it needs fleshing out. I want to do more research on the historical aspect of things.

Interestingly well thought out! The only thing I'd comment on about historical accuracy is that it would be strange for a woman to be named Quanyin. It's not really a thing in China now, but prior to the revolution it'd be taboo to even consider naming someone after a religious or ruling figure.

Phew! I'm relieved you're not offended by the historical references. As for Guanyin's name, I got it from one of those baby name sites a while back. I might change it to a Cantonese name. I I tentionally gave the children Mandarin first names due to Fu's respect for his heritage.

Huojin has a girlfriend named Mei-ling Ma. Her name is homage to two Chinese women I knew.

If they're in Hong Kong their names would probably be in Cantonese to avoid getting publicly lynched (I kid, but not really - anybody else see that subway video?). Most of the older generations from Hong Kong (especially those that were there for generations like my dad's side) are fairly adamant about distinguishing themselves from Mainlanders. I'm not saying it's hostility per se, but British rule instilled a sense of privilege there and combined with the Revolution it left behind some nasty side effects.

I could ask my friend Perry to help with that. He speaks Cantonese. His dad is from Macau. Both are Wing Chung I structors. Perry's father studied under Ho Kam Ming, a student if the late Yip Man.

Kid Lupin Jr.

• Part of the Gang
  • I'm Back~!!!
    • [Lupin Maniac]
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 01:10:20 pm »
Here r a few back ups to the origins theory given to me by my old pal, Veggie 11.

1) Jigen and Lupin are old friends

In chapter 11 (I believe), we know that the  two have grown up. There is no more infos, but it's an interesting idea.

2) Jigen was a cop before he met Lupin

We know this event in chapter 12 (so a chapter after the one we heard Jigen and Lupin grew up together!) which seems like a flashback about how Jigen and Lupin met themselves. So Lupin is decribed as a criminal and Jigen is engaged by the police to arrest him. There is no mention that Jigen is from the mafia.

3) Jigen has a little sister

Chapter 11 where Jigen must kill Lupin because his little sister (no name and not to be seen) is holding as a hostage by King, Lupin's ennemy in the story.

4) Lupin's father was alive at the beginning?

In chapter 11, Lupin is hurt by King and wants to see his father Lupin II. But Fujiko informs him that he was murdered by King. So it seems that he dies in this chapter.

5) Zenigata has a grandson

He tries to arrest a adult Lupin who introduced at university. But he never appears in later chapters. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 01:11:01 pm by Kid Lupin Jr. »
LUPIN~!!!
LUPIN~!!!
LUPIN~!!!

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 07:27:50 pm »
My personal Lupin backstory has always been that he used to be a scientist or gadgeteer of some sort who found out about his Grandfather's legacy and grew obsessed with it and decided to honor it by becoming a gentleman thief himself. And Jigen was in the mafia but grew disgusted by their ways and left to Japan before meeting Lupin and forming a team.

I haven't given much thought into the others but those are the two I have for them.