Author Topic: 2013 TVSp: "Princess of the Breeze: Hidden City in the Sky", airing Fall 2013  (Read 21353 times)

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
Just saw the whole unsubbed new TV special.

So it is heavy on the Cagliostro influence practicaly to the point
of plagiarism to some degree. It has good animation and cinematography although
a bit heavy on CGI (the vehicules) and some disturbing images (baby poop everyone and baby junk too !!!!!).

Apart from that, and even though I don't understand everything, it was still enjoyable and you can see how much of a
good, caring guy Lupin really is.

But I'll let you make your own judgement.  :)
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
So it is heavy on the Cagliostro influence practicaly to the point
of plagiarism to some degree. It has good animation and cinematography although
a bit heavy on CGI (the vehicules) and some disturbing images (baby poop everyone and baby junk too !!!!!).

Was the CGI done well? Cause I don't mind a lot of CG if it is done well, but I've seen a whole lot of bad CG that stands out like a mutated-sore thumb.

Mr. Foo

• Mr. Foo
  • Part of the Gang
  • Yes, that's my lung.
    • A.D. Living
Just watched it. I absolutely adored the CGI they did on the Benz, but it really stood out from the 2D animation, whether thats a good thing or a bad think idk. But I liked it.

(click to show/hide)

I can't say I had amazingly high hopes for this special, what with it being marketed pretty much solely on the Attack on Titan voice actor (seriously, this special was never mentioned without her) but, based on the RAW, I reckon it did pretty well. Maybe not as good as the last special, but I'll wait for subs before I make THAT judgment.

LadyLupin

• Part of the Gang
  • Lady Lupin Sansei
Am I the only one who thinks the baby is kinda ugly?  ~.~

Like every baby in the world !  ;D (okay, i'm leaving)

More seriously, I didn't think he was that ugly but I may change my mind when I'll see more of him.

I think the baby looks creepy actually. It's just the way he/she is drawn. He/she doesn't fit with the animation style.

Tsama

• Part of the Gang
Hello again,

I have just finished my sub for this year's special. I'm unable to do a proper upload because (1) I'm living abroad and my connection's not too reliable and (2) I'm not entirely sure how strict they are with uploading stuff in this country. So I'll just leave you with my ssa/ass file and leave it up to you to mux it.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/l59i5u2qf74z4dp/Lupin+Princess+of+the+Breeze.ass

This is specifically for the SOFCJ release. Some dialogue is missing due to some mishap with the broadcast, and every available release has the same problem.

If you wish to mux it and spread the joy, feel free. And let me know if there are any problems, I'm not entirely sure if I attached the fonts properly.

djcj

• Part of the Gang
Tsama, you're a super awesome guy!  ;D
Thanks for all your translation works!

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
if anyone mux it, could they put it up for download?

djcj

• Part of the Gang
And let me know if there are any problems, I'm not entirely sure if I attached the fonts properly.
The font names are a bit long.

I changed the font names with a text editor, but SMPlayer seems to recognize them even with the long names.

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
What color is your Karma!?
Okay, so I was able to watch it, and the baby is not as ugly as I thought. XP Um, review time:

[NOTE: After listening to the Lupin Has Three Jackets Podcast, my eyes have been opened (er... ears), and I changed my perspective a little bit.]

Animation/art: was pretty good, the CGI was very good especially for Lupin's car, it was well done, but I can't decide whether I like it hand-drawn or CGI better.
And I didn't notice any big problems with smoothness of the animation, except during a running scene towards the middle; they basically looped Lupin running for like 30 seconds, which really bothered me.

Music: Good like always, Yuji Ohno is amazing, but the ending song, Treasures of Time, song by some lady, definitely was not as good as the original.

Characters: Lupin was done well, except that he has become some sort of father figure, and I don't think he shoots anyone once >.>. Fujiko is Fujiko, Zenigata is Zenigata, he is not a bumbling idiot in this one, yet he doesn't do anything totally awesome either. He basically takes shit from people, realizes they're evil, and does nothing. :( Jigen was pretty awesome in the special, most of the cool action revolves around him. Goemon barely shows up, and when he finally shows up it's for comedy, or to fight, sadly his fighting scene was short and sorta a letdown. Basically I felt like they forgot about Goemon entirely, and just went back afterwards to put him in a couple useless scenes.  The villains were cardboard cutouts, (oh, a greedy "merchant:-esque" villain? very creative, OR a pretty boy, who ends up being batshit insane... really!?)  I liked the "henchmen leader" villain, but throughout the special, I'm like, "this guy is gonna be a "Goemon foe,"" and an epic sword battle is gonna happen... that didn't happen. Finally, the tv special girl, I really liked her design, but she was as uncreative as they come.. Oh! wait! I totally forgot the most important character! Mr. G! ... Seriously, he was so random, but hey, he was totally awesome, and his voice actor was spot on. Mr. G gets the prize for best character. (The baby was okay as a plot device.)

Story: The story, in my opinion was the pretty generic "treasure to unlock the true treasure story" (I actually think Lupin says that exactly word for word in the special) What really bothers me is that Lupin has become some sort of supporting character just to talk to the main character in this special, Yukita. Seriously! Who's the main character? Lupin? NO. Jigen? NO. Fujiko? NO. Zenigata? NO! (They actually have him marked as support character on the ANN/MAL) Goemon? Who? Mr. G? I wish, would have been better. Random F-ing chick, that has no lovable characteristics, and is less creative than almost anything I've seen in a Lupin Special for years. MAIN CHARACTER! Graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!  >:(  Seriously, I feel like they are just making stories and then slapping Lupin and Co. on it, in order to give us the biggest middle finger they can muster up.

A question for people who saw it, what was the Soul of Shahalta? By the end I thought I counted four "souls." >.> Is the soul suppose to be like a perspective thing? The villain sees it as one thing, but Lupin and Yukita see it as something else?

Don't even get me started on the Cagliostro references! I thought some of them were cute and innocent, but then, after a while I felt like they started to put them in the special just to say to the those who have seen Cagliostro, "Hey, our special has Cagliostro references! See all these references!? These obviously makes up for the great Lupin sins we have commited!"

I read all the time that people were complaining that Lupin has gone all moei-moei because of the shiny eyes, but I say, who gives a flying-horse shit!? They should be complaining that they are slowly removing the Lupin characters, we know and love, from their own damn franchise! And replacing them with modern-crappy, cardboard cut out characters that the mainstream anime fandom will devour like those pigs with Lupin's crap. (this is actually one of my main hatreds towards the Mine Fujiko series.)

Anyhoo... rant over... 6.5/10. Although I really chewed it up in some regards, I still had some fun watching it. And I wouldn't have a problem watching it again. (Probably because of Mr. G...) Lower it a point if you can't stand the trope of anime guys getting hit for accidentally doing something perverted. (poor Lupin) Or raise it one and half points if you don't know that this is a Lupin special.  :'(
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:17:54 pm by SolHerald »

djcj

• Part of the Gang
Here are my thoughts about this special.

(click to show/hide)

And by the way...

When I looked up Google for "Lupin karma" these where one of the first picutres I had found, lol (NSFW, kind of...):
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:35:23 pm by djcj »

Tsama

• Part of the Gang
A newer version's now available. Subtitles are updated using the error-free RAW, so no more missing frames.

I'll throw in my thoughts as to what I thought the Soul of Shahalta was supposed to represent (might be a long read):

Physically, it's the flying treasury. To the sky pirates (and presumably Lupin) it shows what Shahalta can accomplish despite living in harsh conditions (according to Yutika... dunno, seems like a nice place) and being a tiny and isolated country (according to the official story synopsis). They made huge advancements in aviation technology (again, according to Yutika... but I'd say there's a reason why we don't use airships anymore) and accumulated a sizable pile of wealth under their own power. Things went to hell when Kochel and his thugs interfered, overthrowing the monarchy, stripping away their resources and polluting the country.

That's probably why Shion snapped at the end. At first he was compliant to Kochel's every wish since he lost the will to do anything after he witnessed the death of his family during the revolution. But he knew that greed was Kochel's motivation for starting the revolution, so when he saw that the Soul of Shahalta was yet another source of wealth, in his eyes, the "foundation of the Shahaltan people's hearts" was nothing more than greed. Hence his hatred of both Kochel and Shahalta, and his determination to blow up the treasury.

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
When I looked up Google for "Lupin karma" these where one of the first picutres I had found, lol (NSFW, kind of...):
(click to show/hide)

:o That's vile... lol

Physically, it's the flying treasury. To the sky pirates (and presumably Lupin) it shows what Shahalta can accomplish despite living in harsh conditions (according to Yutika... dunno, seems like a nice place) and being a tiny and isolated country (according to the official story synopsis). They made huge advancements in aviation technology (again, according to Yutika... but I'd say there's a reason why we don't use airships anymore) and accumulated a sizable pile of wealth under their own power. Things went to hell when Kochel and his thugs interfered, overthrowing the monarchy, stripping away their resources and polluting the country.

That's probably why Shion snapped at the end. At first he was compliant to Kochel's every wish since he lost the will to do anything after he witnessed the death of his family during the revolution. But he knew that greed was Kochel's motivation for starting the revolution, so when he saw that the Soul of Shahalta was yet another source of wealth, in his eyes, the "foundation of the Shahaltan people's hearts" was nothing more than greed. Hence his hatred of both Kochel and Shahalta, and his determination to blow up the treasury.

Cool, that was my to guess.

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
Wow, this special really, really wanted to be Castle of Cagliostro.

Pretty production, for the most part, but full of the same billions of cliches and poor plotting as most TV specials. And I could have done without seeing the baby's diaper full of brown pellets and Mr. Elephant.

- Solid first act followed by the writer dropping the ball? Check.
- Mysterious girl with tragic background and generic personaility? Check.
- Evil businessman/weapons profiteer villain? Check.
- Gimmicky main henchman for villain? Check.
- Treasure that unlocks other treasure? Check.
- Plucky resistance force to evil government authority? Check.
- Goemon comes in and does all the work? Check.
- Fujiko serves no purpose outside of T&A? Check.
- A bunch of silly supernatural nonsense? Check.
- Lupin being punished for being a pervert even though he barely did anything, because this is 2013? Check.
- Treasure is ultimately something that can't be stolen/is given away (what was that, a bunch of green glowing rocks? Kryptonite?)? Check.

Don't let the production values blind you. This special isn't exactly a winner. But I suppose it's better than the usual smelly pellets TMS produces these days.

NO YOU DON'T GET TO USE FIRE TREASURE, SPECIAL. YOU DON'T GET THAT PRIVILEGE.

7/10 (mostly because of production values)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 03:19:59 am by penguintruth »

djcj

• Part of the Gang
A newer version's now available. Subtitles are updated using the error-free RAW, so no more missing frames.
Sounds great. I assume you're going to post them here when they're done?

edit:

Never mind, I already found it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 05:09:01 am by djcj »

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
To be brutally honest, for me, this was the worst TV special I've seen since... Secret of Twilight Gemini?

It was going OK, until the scene when the Chief was blocking all those goons with that door by himself,
when the goons had the guns to shoot through the wooden door.
That was ridiculous and there were other ridiculous scenes, like Lupin getting shot like that as if he were a total novice!
Plus, things got predictable, not just predictable that could still be fun, but really bad predictable.
And the prime minister going crazy towards the end was unconvincing...

The action wasn't that fun for me either. Some part I liked was the little humor with Goemon who keeps going all the way over to Japan to buy something for the baby, although that was a rather unfortunate excuse to have little of him in the special.
I noticed another reference to Cagliostro, as the name was actually written on a newspaper.

It made me think TMS staff were so busy with the upcoming Lupin vs. Conan movie that they gave little efforts for this special...
I'm hoping that movie will be good, but we'll have to wait for sometime next year before we can get subbed DVD rip of the movie.