Author Topic: 2013 TVSp: "Princess of the Breeze: Hidden City in the Sky", airing Fall 2013  (Read 21352 times)

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
Now, I just hope someone decides to release subtitles for this!

KoichiZenigata

• Part of the Gang
  • Stealing Japan for a Year
    • Lupin has a podcast
I love the black pants and red jacket still. Sexy as ever. Never get tired of watching a new t.v. special every year

Doaj

• Part of the Gang
Very happy to see this.  Haven't seen any information on it anywhere yet.  Not even up on MAL, the anime site I use.  Just submitted a page for it there, though.  This sounds like a Laputa-inspired Lupin story to me.  I hope it manages to have the same charm.

FilmmakerJ

Very happy to see this.  Haven't seen any information on it anywhere yet.  Not even up on MAL, the anime site I use.  Just submitted a page for it there, though.  This sounds like a Laputa-inspired Lupin story to me.  I hope it manages to have the same charm.

I actually kinda thought "The Castle of Cagliostro" already was a lot like Laputa. Except you don't have a quirky pirate crew, nor do you have any robots. But quite a bit of the rest of the elements remain the same.

"A young girl of royal blood, captured and held prisoner by an evil man who claims to be part of the royal family, wishes to take possession of the young girl's jewel which holds the key to the treasure of Cagliostro Castle (a large ancient fortress in the middle of a small, often overlook country). Then a young man, who's good with mechanics, attempts to rescue the young princess by piloting a bizarre flying machine past a castle tower. And at one point, a large armed forces from outside the country is called in to flush things out. And by the end of the movie, the Evil Count and what he thinks is the treasure, are destroyed and they crumble to pieces; revealing the shell of an ancient city."

Sure that's a bit vague, but the only thing that has changed are the design and names of things; if you exclude certain elements. I wouldn't even put it past Miyazaki that he took Cagliostro and worked it quite a bit more to get the general story of what he pitched to GAINAX, and then went on to turn into Laputa.

Now I'm not gonna go on a rant here, there's not reason or point to. But I will contend with some people that the plots of many of the Lupin TV specials have attempted to copy Cagliostro in some way, and it's getting pretty old.

Can't we have just one special that doesn't involve some other woman for Lupin to fawn over? Couldn't it be some other dude for a change? At least "Liberty Crisis" had Lupin pal around with a kid genius for an hour. That was kinda cool how they changed things up there.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:29:41 pm by FilmmakerJ »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Uh,
I thought "The Castle of Cagliostro" already was a lot like Laputa. Except you don't have a quirky pirate crew, nor do you have any robots. But quite a bit of the rest of the elements remain the same.

Not going to argue your point, just wondering why you started your post out with the condescending "Uh" on its own line, like it should be obvious to everyone upon first viewing.

Something like "You know," "It occurred to me that...", "What's funny about that is..." might be a little less rude and invite a little more discussion.

It's not like I've never said a condescending thing in my life, but I've noticed you post in this manner a lot, so I just thought I'd speak up and let you know that this is a thing, even if it is totally off-topic and I should've probably just said this in PM.

Thanks.
-R. Nelson

FilmmakerJ

Uh,
I thought "The Castle of Cagliostro" already was a lot like Laputa. Except you don't have a quirky pirate crew, nor do you have any robots. But quite a bit of the rest of the elements remain the same.

Not going to argue your point, just wondering why you started your post out with the condescending "Uh" on its own line, like it should be obvious to everyone upon first viewing.

Something like "You know," "It occurred to me that...", "What's funny about that is..." might be a little less rude and invite a little more discussion.

It's not like I've never said a condescending thing in my life, but I've noticed you post in this manner a lot, so I just thought I'd speak up and let you know that this is a thing, even if it is totally off-topic and I should've probably just said this in PM.

Thanks.

I'm glad you've pointed this out, Reed. Because you're right, I do tend to reply to things in a condescending nature more than I should. And I'm always trying my best not to rub people the wrong way, so this has been one of my most problematic habits. I will try harder to watch the way I write my posts.

I've now changed the post so that it doesn't start that way anymore. But I initially was not intending to imply that everyone should have known that Cagliostro was already like Laputa. It's more like I was trying to say "Wait a minute, isn't... Cagliostro already a lot like Laputa?" Cause I sort of just realized it as I was typing the description out.

Doaj

• Part of the Gang
I guess I more-so meant that they both have castles in the sky.  Which is a major plot device in Laputa.  If we're lucky, they'll take some strong cues from Castle of Cagliostro, too, but the similarities between this new special and Laputa stand out to me.

And don't worry, no offense taken.  It didn't come off that way to me at all.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
I'm glad you've pointed this out, Reed. Because you're right, I do tend to reply to things in a condescending nature more than I should. And I'm always trying my best not to rub people the wrong way, so this has been one of my most problematic habits. I will try harder to watch the way I write my posts.

I've now changed the post so that it doesn't start that way anymore. But I initially was not intending to imply that everyone should have known that Cagliostro was already like Laputa. It's more like I was trying to say "Wait a minute, isn't... Cagliostro already a lot like Laputa?" Cause I sort of just realized it as I was typing the description out.

Great work. Takes a lot to recognize when you have a bad habit and even moreso to work toward correcting it. Thanks for not overreacting.
-R. Nelson

hardware

• Part of the Gang
    • BryanRollins.com
i never thought i'd say this

but i'm kinda bored of these specials
after the Fujiko series, it ain't the same.

:/
my upcoming comic: http://mgrnts.tumblr.com/

FilmmakerJ

Weren't they pretty much the same old thing even before the Fujiko series? I got the impression that they all had the same kinda look, same over-done plot elements and such like that. Like "The Last Job" and "Return the Stolen Lupin" or what-ever that was called.

Arsene Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
Stolen Lupin or Operation: Return the Treasures.  Operation was a bit darker in tone. Stolen Lupin had a copycat thief. 

hardware

• Part of the Gang
    • BryanRollins.com
Re: 2013 TVSp: "Princess of the Breeze: Hidden City in the Sky", airing Fall 2013
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 09:41:05 am »

Weren't they pretty much the same old thing even before the Fujiko series? I got the impression that they all had the same kinda look, same over-done plot elements and such like that. Like "The Last Job" and "Return the Stolen Lupin" or what-ever that was called.

Exactly. I liked Fujiko so much, bored of TMS Lupin now. The contrast makes the specials feel so neutered.
my upcoming comic: http://mgrnts.tumblr.com/

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
Re: 2013 TVSp: "Princess of the Breeze: Hidden City in the Sky", airing Fall 2013
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 12:57:43 pm »
fujiko was way to vague for me but i did enjoy it

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 02:23:43 pm »
fujiko was way to vague for me but i did enjoy it

The fourth series indeed needs some extra effort to be understood.

As for this new special, as classic or "neutered" as hardware says, I hope it will at least be enjoyable.

And it airs on november, my birthday month.  ;D
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2013, 02:59:10 am »
Do we have any date for this TV Special?
I wonder if this will air the same week the Lupin vs Conan movie gets released.