Author Topic: "Green vs. Red" DVD Feedback Thread  (Read 5398 times)

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
"Green vs. Red" DVD Feedback Thread
« on: August 22, 2013, 01:12:55 am »
I forgot to post this.

The DVD has been out for a little while.

Please share your thoughts and questions.

General specs:
-Japanese audio
-English subtitles
-Extra: Liner notes
-Extra: Song lyrics for "Treasure of the Flame"

Long-awaited downloadable audio commentary featuring Luis Cruz (sprak), Ryan Gilbert (SlackerWriter) and me (Reed Nelson) is now available here:
YouTube Streaming: http://youtu.be/2Pd9RZROD7k
Google Drive MP3: http://goo.gl/dtvFYZ
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 03:56:01 pm by Reed »
-R. Nelson

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
Re: "Green vs. Red" DVD Feedback Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 01:15:01 am »
FilmmakerJ started a whole thread about this. Here's his post as originally presented:

So, for some reason nobody has put an official thread in the Discotek Releases section for "Green VS Red," even though there was a thread in the General section. But since that thread is a bit old and I'm a late-comer to having seen the movie in it's entirety, I'll give my full thoughts here.

So from what I can gather: this was supposed to be a film about a guy who has identity issues, who thinks because he looks like Lupin he can become the REAL Lupin. And so he sets out to steal something extremely valuable, and throw everyone for a loop like Lupin would. But he runs into what is assumed to "have been" the REAL Lupin, and they duke it out for a few sparse scenes. All the while, there's this craze all over the world of people trying to become Lupin, and some of them get involved in the plot as well...
...Oh, and... there was something about an Ice Cube, I think.

Now I understand that the liner notes explain there was supposed to be a disjointed style to the non-chronological order of the scenes, and the identity of the "REAL Lupin" was supposed to be ambiguous. But this was one of the worst choices the writers could have made, because by doing both of those things, it makes the film extremely hard to follow, and not even in a fun way like "Twelve Monkeys" or something. No, instead, it just keeps throwing more WTF moments into the fray with no rhyme or reason. (pardon my words, but that's how it was).

This movie should have begun with the world assuming Lupin was a real person, but slowly more and more dopplegangers are captured and revealed to be imposters. So this big conspiracy emerges where no one is quite sure who the real Lupin is, except for Jigen, Goemon, and Fujiko: because there can't be more than one of them three. So which ever Lupin they are paling around with must be the real Lupin. Except one Lupin imposter in particular starts to gain recognition due to his improving crimes in both their easy execution and grandeur. Eventually the Red Jacket Lupin (who has been considered the real Lupin) finally comes face to face with this Green imposter, and they stare each other down and have a conversation about who they really are on the outside and inside (and all that thought provoking jazz). This causes Jigen and Goemon to start to doubt which Lupin is the true Lupin, if there is such a thing as a "True Lupin" to begin with. Does the word "True" in this case refer to the idea of Lupin, or does it refer to the physical individual legally born as Lupin the 3rd?

At the same time, we would be shown scenes from the everyday life of Yasuo, who slowly reveals through different events that he is actually the Green Jacket Lupin that has been sneaking out on his girlfriend and performing these amazing heists. The girlfriend reporter starts to get more interested in the Lupin enigma, and she gets curious about who Lupin is. She talks to that one guy in the book shop, she talks to Zenigata, she even gets to speak to Jigen at one point by chance. And finally she finds something signature to Lupin's wardrobe, sitting in her boyfriend's room. That's when she realizes that Yasuo is actually the Green Lupin.

By the end of the film, the green and red Lupin have a duel of whits. After-which, the twist would be revealed (in silent shots) that neither the green nor the red were the true Lupins, and that the real Lupin (who quit thievery some years ago) was actually the guy running the book-shop. And the Jigen, Goemon, and Fujiko we have seen throughout the film are themselves... impostors: having replaced the originals years ago as well (except there aren't more than one).

In this way, we now have a very strong reason to care about Yasuo and his girlfriend. We are worried for Yasuo because he takes on this dangerous lifestyle to gain some sort of identity and purpose from it, when before he felt like a nameless nobody: therefore we are worried for his state of mind, his sanity, his romantic relationship with his girlfriend (since he seems to be secretly infatuated with Fujiko day-dreams), and his physical safety when he takes his duel with Red Jacket Lupin too far. And we are even more worried for Yasuo's girlfriend because she cares a lot for him, and doesn't want to see him turn into somebody she no longer recognizes, nor does she want to see him become a villain of sorts. It's the kind of drama and tension that helps get an audience choked up and on the edge of their seats. But the last time that ever happened with a Lupin movie was "Cagliostro," and to a certain extent, "Crisis in Tokyo." But I would have loved to see a serious plot line like all this, instead of what we got.

I think that would have been one damn awesome psychological thriller right there. But the sad thing is, the direction of the scenes being as disjointed and quick as they were, and with the inclusion of so many incidental and unimportant characters, you really don't enjoy trying to figure out what's going on, because the film barely gives you the chance to. You can't tell what's happening when, you can't tell if it's a dream, a day-dream, or real-life. You can't tell who's who and what they're motivations really are. And by far that giant robot was the dumbest inclusion possible. I'd also like to reiterate about something I mentioned a few sentences ago: the fact that this as well as a few other Lupin films have involved too many unimportant and wasteful characters. What the hell was up with that Ice Cube stuff? Who the heck is Logan, and why should I care? Why did the guy performing Logan's english dialogue sound like what Streamlines dubs sounded like in the early 90s? Who was that Afro Lupin (oh, I get it. Lol) and his crazy grandpa with the giant robot? Why did the grandpa build a giant robot? It couldn't have been for this exact moment, cause that beast would have taken him decades to build all by himself. And what was up with the commentary on the privatization of the Japanese military? Was that a necessary thing to toss in at the last minute? This film is just about as pretentious as the Matrix movies and Fujiko Mine put together.

There really wasn't much to enjoy here, other than some of the visuals, the few cool nods to older Lupin stuff and staff, and the potential that the concept could have had. The music was as nice as it always is, but it included too many recycled songs; which you'd expect in this sort of anniversary special, except Yuji Ohno always recycles so much that it's not really anything new. I also don't think there was much ambiguity in terms of who was the real Lupin, because the real one was likely the Red Jacket guy played by Kurita. I think it might have also been nice to see the inclusion of a Pink Jacket Lupin somewhere within the narrative, but they relegated him to just the Lupin arrest montage.

So, amazingly, this has now been moved to my LEAST favorite Lupin film, followed by Episode 0, followed by Walther P-38, followed by Columbus Files, followed lastly by Dead or Alive. The rest of the Lupin films that I have purchased, along with Bye Bye Lady Liberty, are all salvageable and watchable films in comparison to these other 5. Though if you don't think that's the case, then that's okay. If you can get something enjoyable out of these 5, more power to you.

I just really think this concept could have been amazing. But shockingly or not, the writing and production team just dropped the ball again. They just don't seem to get how to write a compelling story. And the director doesn't get how to make me care about the things he establishes and shows to us.
-R. Nelson

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
    • Hardocre Gamer Magzine - free download
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 03:54:51 am »
Really looking forward to the commentary - shame it's not on the DVD itself though.

FlippytheMaster

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:13:05 am »
Eagerly awaiting the commentary! I love me my Green vs. Red DVD.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 03:57:25 pm »
Commentary download/streaming is now available. See first post for links. See YouTube page for details about the commentary.
-R. Nelson