Author Topic: I'll consider it rumour or misinformation until otherwise confirmed, but...  (Read 5279 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Yahoo UK is saying that Miyazaki is involved with a Lupin tv thing in 2014.

FilmmakerJ

Re: I'll consider it rumour or misinformation until otherwise confirmed, but...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 05:44:43 pm »

If that is true, that would be my dream of him going back to his beginnings for another Lupin romp, come true.

Fujikogirl23

• The Curiously Curious
  • Part of the Gang
  • "My head is full of ideas, that's why I'm crazy!"
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 06:47:04 pm »
Yeah, but... Didn't Miyazaki announce his retirement not too long ago?  :-\ Or was that just for making films?

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 07:34:49 pm »
Yeah, but... Didn't Miyazaki announce his retirement not too long ago?  :-\ Or was that just for making films?

He's in his 70s, so I'm sure he'd want to retire from being the head honcho on major productions. But that doesn't mean he fully decided to stop working on projects as a writer or story artist, or even directing shorter projects.

Fujikogirl23

• The Curiously Curious
  • Part of the Gang
  • "My head is full of ideas, that's why I'm crazy!"
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 07:50:06 pm »

He's in his 70s, so I'm sure he'd want to retire from being the head honcho on major productions. But that doesn't mean he fully decided to stop working on projects as a writer or story artist, or even directing shorter projects.

Oh, ok. ^^

Arsene Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 09:12:22 pm »

If that is true, that would be my dream of him going back to his beginnings for another Lupin romp, come true.
I'd love it,  too.  Cagliostro was made by a young experimenter.  How would he make a Lupin movie with decades of experience?

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 11:07:59 pm »
He's retiring from full-length animated movies. Not from projects in general. [I.E. he can still supervise, assist, and produce, if he wants to.]

FlippytheMaster

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 11:44:29 am »
I'm leaning more towards this being a mistake on Yahoo's part simply because of the phrasing. It says that he'll be working on bringing Lupin the 3rd to TV. Odd phrasing, given that Lupin's been on TV for decades. I imagine whoever wrote that on Yahoo probably did a Google search or something and saw that he was involved in Lupin and just wrote that it was new.
That said, if it IS true, that's awesome. Miyazaki has for a long while implied heavily that he feels that his incarnation of Lupin is the best. Seeing another main Lupin TV series is exciting, as well!

DDDINC

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 09:55:19 pm »
it is listed on IMDB but that's hardly reliable either
Is it wrong to steal Lupin merchandise or just hilariously ironic??

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 10:35:48 pm »
It'd be cool if Miyazaki changed his mind, since I was the one who asked him at that L.A. Spirited Away premiere if he would do more Lupin, and he said he wasn't interested. But if I planted that idea in his mind, and he stuck with it as a possibility, then that's awesome that he took my question that seriously. And he wouldn't be in it for the money, either, since there's no way TMS could meet his asking price at this point. Plus, he probably makes a mini-fortune on royalties from home vid sales of Cagliostro alone. So, if-and that's a big if-he is returning to Lupin, I imagine it's because he's sick of fantasy and he wants to go back to more reality-based stories. That, or maybe it's a full circle thing, and he wants to give back to the franchise which put him on the map. Who knows? I'm just wondering if he-once again-does come back, will he go for something as lighthearted as his prior Lupins, or will he attempt something darker?

DDDINC

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 10:55:00 pm »
I'm sure if the series is happening and he is attached we would likely see what has consistently been his interpretation on Lupin which is closer to Cagliostro. Also as much as we would like to think I doubt that movie sells THAT many units that he's cleaning up on royalties, I would think Spirited Away, Ponyo or Castle in the Sky would take that honor

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 11:01:16 pm »
Well, maybe his royalties on that actually suck, 'cus the rates were different back then. But I wonder if they renegotiated it with each new home vid format like they do here.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 12:18:40 am »
Well, maybe his royalties on that actually suck, 'cus the rates were different back then. But I wonder if they renegotiated it with each new home vid format like they do here.

It's pretty clear that in some respects, Miyazaki, Ghibli, TMS and Toho have a deal with regards to Cagliostro. Because the Cagliostro storybook and storyboards both have a Ghibli logo on them. Same with the storyboards on the two episodes of Red Jacket. And TMS and TOHO both jointly own a bit of the first two Lupin movies.

Spirited Away is more likely the movie that gets the most money back to Miyazaki, because that's the film that most people I've talked to, go nuts over. It's always someone's top favorite. It's the one most often referenced by critics who love Miyazaki. And it's the only Miyazaki film to consistently be featured in the book, "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die."

I'm a bit surprised you guys are really caring so much about this, as if it was more legit than it actually is. I would think AnimeNewsNetwork or this site called Tokyo Otaku Mode would get the down-low on a Miyazaki project much faster than Yahoo. So I don't think there's any need to be "sqee-ing" just yet.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 12:20:22 am by FilmmakerJ »

DDDINC

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 01:12:27 am »
I don't think anyone is squeeing.. Gatsu mentioned a rumor and I mentioned seeing info on IMDB supporting said rumor.... then we thought about all the money Miyazaki-san gets or doesn't get from royalties.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 01:30:51 am »
Filmmaker: Well, I e-mailed ANN, too, so hopefully they'll dig up any corroborating info.