Author Topic: Is this a bootleg?  (Read 2440 times)

Excel

• [Member]
Is this a bootleg?
« on: December 21, 2007, 06:43:38 am »
http://store.animeballz.com/b-l-1.html

I'm almost certain that it is, but I'm curious if anyone had had any experience with it. There is also a box set for the green jacket TV season on this site, but it says it's a preorder.

I wonder how bad the quality of the subtitles are... With Geneon officially dead now and obviously not finishing their releases of season two, this seems like it might be worth the money. The first season may never be released here at all, so I'm considering that as well.

I've never purchased a shady-looking DVD set like this before, so I'm curious what all your thoughts on this are. I've been a Lupin fan since I watched Cagliostro many years ago, and I've always wanted to see it get a full release here. It doesn't seem to be likely though, with the anime market in general not doing too well, and it being such an old title. Basically I'm thinking that watching HK subs of Lupin might be worth it. :(

edit: I have read the rules, and I am not trying to "promote" bootlegs here. I just wondered if anyone has actually seen this particular collection.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 07:04:02 am by Excel »

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
Re: Is this a bootleg?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 07:54:12 am »
Yep.  They are.  I have the green jacket box set myself.  Geneon hasn't released the whole series yet.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Excel

• [Member]
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 09:58:06 am »
How bad are the subs on the green jacket box? I've seen some pretty hilarious HK subs before.

Like I said in the OP, Geneon as a company is officially defunct, and no one knows who is going to be picking up their properties or if any of them will be continued. It's a pretty crappy situation for anyone who's a fan of an unfinished show that they were bringing over here.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 03:07:23 am »
I believe some bootleg sets use the old Neko Creations fansubs with occasional glitches, and some use a butchered Japanese->Chinese->English translation. All of them tend to look awful though, which is surprising since they borrow the physical design of the Region 2 remastered sets which supposedly have great picture quality.

At this point, you're aware it's a bootleg and -- let's be honest -- you're asking for details on the translation because it's affordable and you want to buy it. I suggest just using our Downloads Thread as a means of getting your mitts on the series instead.

EDIT: Didn't catch that the bootleg in question was a Part II bundle. Even so, I'd say you'll start seeing some fansubs one way or another within the next few years if Geneon or even just TMS doesn't find a way to release it in English in full. For Part I, though, again: check out the thread link.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 05:41:04 am by Lupin the Third »
-R. Nelson